Thread: Closing out lines with a company

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Closing out lines with a company

Hello everyone,
    Just had a quick question. Ive got some lines here where I really do not like the rep and the lines arent really selling very well. What is the best way to get rid of these lines? Normally i would just trade them out for another line but I dont even want to stick with the company. Is the best way just to slowly sell them off or is there another trade secret way of getting rid of them?

Regards,
    jc17777

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Just had a quick question. Ive got some lines here where I really do not like the rep and the lines arent really selling very well. What is the best way to get rid of these lines? Normally i would just trade them out for another line but I dont even want to stick with the company. Is the best way just to slowly sell them off or is there another trade secret way of getting rid of them?

Regards,
    jc17777
    Either reduce them, bite the bullet and put them on your budget rack at rock bottom prices. Also some suppliers will buy them back from you providing you keep a certain number of their frames on display.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Ask some reps you really like if they will do a buy-space deal. REM has been very good for me in that regard, though I don't think they can do it any more. Otherwise, slash the prices and clear them on out.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Find out if they get scared enough to take them back ..........................

Call the company you purchased from. Tell the owner that you will advertise them as a special at rock bottom prices with name and make, to compete with on line sales.

Find out if the get scared enough to take them back at whatever price you want.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do a cost-neutral buyout. Few will straight up offer it and luxury lines won't play ball, but with all the reps that walk in cold wanting to put in lines someone should be willing. My demand is cost-neutral, I must gain in their inventory the same dollar value I spent on the inventory I trade out. A few have been willing to take frames I don't want anymore and replace them 1 for 1 with their own, hoping of course I maintain those numbers in the future. Some who were gunshy of the straight trade agreed to sell me two at 50% off for each frame I gave them. The volume doesn't line up but the costs are still neutral, and I certainly didn't mind trading 20 duds for 40 good pieces at 50% off. If you want to get extra tough ask for the deal in perpetuity, so anytime in the future you have more duds you can just bulk up on your go-to vendor without cost.

Also, they always ask and expect it, but I make no promises like "board space" agreements. It's the rep's and company's responsibility to keep me interested as a customer by giving me good service and product. My only "agreement" is, with a budget-neutral buy-in of course, to give them an opportunity to please me and encourage my repeat business. If I like their product and service I will continue to buy it. If I don't, 3 other reps walked into my office this month willing to make deals...
    Last edited by DanLiv; 01-21-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Do not forget that sales reps in the frame business are paid commissions on sales....

Do not forget that sales reps in the frame business are paid commissions on their sales.

A rep gets. lets assume 20% commission on a sale and 10% on repeat orders.

So if you return frames the rep looses that commission and has to pay it back, or it gets deducted at the next month end.

In any case you will not get too much cooperation from sales reps if their in to loose part of their salary.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all the info everyone, Ill keep this is mind :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why not list them on the MarketPlace section and/or ebay at your cost?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    frames are still current and are nice styles, I just really do not like the rep and the prices are a little higher than most people like to go for in our setting, so I dont wanna jump th egun in selling them all in the marketplace and inducing shipping costs and whatnot

Thread Information