Thread: Shamir Autograph II

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Shamir Autograph II

I'm not familiar with this lens. I am helping out at a new place and it is their go to lens with
    some insurances. I need an explanation as to why a seg height measured at 18 needs to be put in a Authograph II 20.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me start off by saying I love Shamir lenses. The ability to customize the corridor as an optician is great.

So the concept is a little bit more than confusing and I had to literally have my rep draw me a picture to get it the first time. After you get it you will love it.

The 4 autograph corridors are 11, 13, 15, and 18. Those relate to the MIN Fitting height, but they ACTUALLY tell you how much intermediate there is in that lens. When fit at the min seg (AKA Auto 11 seg =11, auto 13 seg= 13 and so on) There will always be 5mm of near, and the remainder of the measurement allocated to intermediate.

For example, a pt with a 20 seg in a frame fit with a auto 11 will have 6mm of intermediate and 14 mm of near. If fit with the same 20 seg and an auto 13 they will have 8mm of intermediate and 12mm of near, auto 15 will have 10 intermediate and 10 near, and lastly the auto 18 will have 13 intermediate and 7 near.

So in reality the Shamir Autograph II 11, 13, 15, or 18 are actually just telling you what the corridor for the intermediate, but advertised at their respective minimum fitting height. if someone had a 18 seg as in your example I would personally use a 15, unless they use it more for computer or intermediate work than reading by a substantial amount.

I know it sounds very strange, but once you get it, it applies to all shamir products. A intouch 15 vrs 13 will be the same corridor allocation as an auto.

P.S. Please try to avoid the "variable" option as its kinda a cop out. Talk to your pt and learn what they are using their eyes for.

Let me know if you actually need a picture and ill draw one up... It helped me when learning A LOT!
    Christopher Lee
    Arizona LDO
    ABOC & NCLEC

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, a picture would really help.

Thread Information