Thread: Medicare Kick Back Law

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Medicare Kick Back Law

I work for a practice that has said that Medicare has rules that opticians cannot get our lab lenses, no vendor frames, NO incentives can be received or accepted. I sell lenses that I haven't even tried myself. She claims this is under the medicare "kick-back" law. I have tried to research this also checking the CFR. This law is mainly for "referrals" with doctors working with each other's practices. There seems to be a law that exempts certain things from this "Medicare Law". Also, it seems like every week a Rep from a pharma company is bringing elaborate lunches for the whole office and tons of samples. I guess that's ok because she says its "under $20.00 per person for the food.
    Anyone know anything certain about...If you take Medicare, you cannot, as an optician get ANY free lenses, frames, etc.......
    Last edited by opticalynn; 01-06-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know anything about this. Every office I've worked in has had opticians and doctors get free lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no idea what the background of your administrator might be, but kickbacks now are strictly prohibited. This is an attempt to limit the reach of the drug companies, etc. who make exorbitant profits through incentive measures. I suspect this may lighten up a bit moving forward, but at this point, the administrator is not being arbitrary. As to free lenses.........you could become a part of the research arm of the manufacturer and "try" the lenses that way, if they see value in your opinion. The new approach makes sure those receiving Medicare dollars are providing the lowest cost goods and services to Medicare patients, irregardless of incentives offered by suppliers. It is far-fetched in this case, but we will have to deal with it for a while.

Thread Information