Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Optik k&r

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    147

    Optik k&r

    Hello my fellow boarders; Does anyone have any experience with the in house prog. lenses called Performance DS from Optik k&r?
    Are they good, easy adapt, etc....?
    Thanks again.

  2. #2
    OptiWizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by haliopt View Post
    Hello my fellow boarders; Does anyone have any experience with the in house prog. lenses called Performance DS from Optik k&r?
    Are they good, easy adapt, etc....?
    Thanks again.
    The lenses are cheap and so is the quality. The coatings usually peel off within a few months.

  3. #3
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    The lenses are cheap and so is the quality. The coatings usually peel off within a few months.
    Really...that has been your experience? Please Expand And Enlighten me.

  4. #4
    OptiWizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by haliopt View Post
    Really...that has been your experience? Please Expand And Enlighten me.
    Try them for yourself...

  5. #5
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Maritimes
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    53
    I have been using them for a year and no issues.
    Strings
    the star***

  6. #6
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2
    performace DS aren't that bad, but the normal luxar coating is only okay, have problem before but their warranty is pretty good. use the luxar U coating.

  7. #7
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    10
    I have been using Luxar and Luxar u for a couple of years. I find the coatings scratch easily and often break down. The break down is noticeable where the patients eyebrow or cheek touch the lens. The coating does not do well when in contact with perspiration. The lab has stood behind the 2 year warranty. Although it is a nuisance for the patient to return. The warranty jobs also costs me more more staff time and wear and tear on my edger. Currently 25 to 30 % of my daily orders are warranty claims. Does anyone else find these percentages at their practice or are these returns excessive? Thanks Mandy

  8. #8
    OptiWizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    I have been using Luxar and Luxar u for a couple of years. I find the coatings scratch easily and often break down. The break down is noticeable where the patients eyebrow or cheek touch the lens. The coating does not do well when in contact with perspiration. The lab has stood behind the 2 year warranty. Although it is a nuisance for the patient to return. The warranty jobs also costs me more more staff time and wear and tear on my edger. Currently 25 to 30 % of my daily orders are warranty claims. Does anyone else find these percentages at their practice or are these returns excessive? Thanks Mandy
    That's a very high return rate. The national average is around 7%. Are the warranties due to the coating quality or Rx changes, non adapts?

  9. #9
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    10

    high warranty claims on coatings

    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    That's a very high return rate. The national average is around 7%. Are the warranties due to the coating quality or Rx changes, non adapts?
    The returns are mostly coating problems. The greatest amount of breakdowns are with the Luxar coating. The Luxar U has fewer problems. The Ultraguard (SRC) has fewer problems than the Luxar U. But all in, I am still having 25 % returns on coating breakdowns. The non adapts are very few ( likely in the 1 % range). Most coating breakdowns occur after a year, but some have returned in as short as a month or two. These returns are not due to mechanical (heavy scratches) or chemical abuse. I am looking for a supplier that has good quality lenses. But every sales rep I speak to claim this will never occur with their lenses. I would like some advice as to which supplier has a reasonably priced progressive that comes with a good quality AR coating.

    Thanks Mandy

  10. #10
    OptiWizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    The returns are mostly coating problems. The greatest amount of breakdowns are with the Luxar coating. The Luxar U has fewer problems. The Ultraguard (SRC) has fewer problems than the Luxar U. But all in, I am still having 25 % returns on coating breakdowns. The non adapts are very few ( likely in the 1 % range). Most coating breakdowns occur after a year, but some have returned in as short as a month or two. These returns are not due to mechanical (heavy scratches) or chemical abuse. I am looking for a supplier that has good quality lenses. But every sales rep I speak to claim this will never occur with their lenses. I would like some advice as to which supplier has a reasonably priced progressive that comes with a good quality AR coating.

    Thanks Mandy
    Don't listen to sales reps...most are only concerned about their sales figure and will say anything. Fact of the matter is, this can and will happen to any lens on the market at some point, however the frequency should be rare.

    My best advice is to call up as many labs (big and small) as you can, get a quote, have them visit you in person and give them all a shot at earning your business. Order from all of them for a month or two. This way you can measure the success of the supplier, delivery time and quality of their lenses.

    And if there's something unforeseen that develops, you can make the necessary adjustments quickly.

  11. #11
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    21
    We use them a lot in our office at first but now we dispense Zeiss. I would say more than 25% come back for coating failure from optik k&r lens product. It is affordable but I rather give my patients something of better quality for a little bit more in price.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nextgen Optik - report question
    By TLG in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
  2. Bausch & Lomb B&L Orbscan IIz Corneal Topographer For Sale!
    By jcxover2 in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
  3. Bausch & Lomb B&L Orbscan IIz Corneal Topographer for Sale!
    By jcxover2 in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 01:58 AM
  4. Next Gen/ Optik software Help
    By jherman in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
  5. Optik (software)
    By jherman in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 08:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision Inc., Vision Systems, Inc., ISOTech and The Optical Group