Progressive Seg Heights on Tall People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Seg Heights on Tall People

I have a question on how other people measure seg heights on extremely tall people. Example is I had a patient last week, who is 6'9. I am 5'4 and he towers over me..... and most other people and noticed when he looks through his glasses when standing up he would be looking through the intermediate part of his progressive. So I measure him sitting and standing... and did half of the difference. I am hoping this will work but that was my best guess as how to measure him seeing is how I have not run into this problem yet.

Thank you for your input!!

Stepladder ? ? ?
    Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

Originally posted by rbaker View Post
      Stepladder ? ? ?
      Essential, and I stand slightly over 1.8m tall.

Our eyes must be at the same level as the measured eye. Errors due to parallax can be significant.
      Attached Files
      Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

The other option is a drafter's stool but getting in and out of one can be a little tricky when it's all the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitney View Post
          I have a question on how other people measure seg heights on extremely tall people. Example is I had a patient last week, who is 6'9. I am 5'4 and he towers over me..... and most other people and noticed when he looks through his glasses when standing up he would be looking through the intermediate part of his progressive. So I measure him sitting and standing... and did half of the difference. I am hoping this will work but that was my best guess as how to measure him seeing is how I have not run into this problem yet.

Thank you for your input!!
          Your technique is great!
          Follow up by observing his behaviour at dispense, and record for future fine-tuning. Hopefully you have utilized a adjustable frame for slight tweaking of the height, later?

A good starting point is always check the current height of multifocal, and query if the person is comfortable with matching that. For newbies...........demonstrate by creating occlusion of zones. I often use the blue lens protect tape from the lab!
          Eyes wide open

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
            Essential, and I stand slightly over 1.8m tall.

Our eyes must be at the same level as the measured eye. Errors due to parallax can be significant.
            Robert, you should consider inventing a new fitting device making use of that Roumba vacuum you have plugged in a couple feet from your stool.

Comment

I actually like the system Walmart uses for this. It's a vinyl cling with a red line that sticks to the lens and is repositioned until the patient feels that they are looking directly through the line. It works great for opticians who have a difficult time getting on eye level, and also with sunglasses, where it's difficult to see the patient's eye through the lens.

Comment

I take it with them sitting...if they sit to read and you lower it because they are tall the reading will be off...tall people are used to lowering their head to look at people anyway...the length of their arms and where they prefer to read would be a more useful thought imo.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                  I take it with them sitting...if they sit to read and you lower it because they are tall the reading will be off...tall people are used to lowering their head to look at people anyway...the length of their arms and where they prefer to read would be a more useful thought imo.
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                    Robert, you should consider inventing a new fitting device making use of that Roumba vacuum you have plugged in a couple feet from your stool.
                    It looks at my chair all day long. I look back at it and am comforted by the fact that it has an off switch.
                    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X