Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Teaching Credentials

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    158

    Teaching Credentials

    I know there are not many Canadian Opticians on this board but somebody may know the answer to this. Im thinking about getting into teaching Opticanry Part time in the future(Well far off not anytime soon) but was wondering what type of experience you need(eg years licensed) and also if you need any special teaching courses and what not. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bob & Doug's Place
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    I know there are not many Canadian Opticians on this board but somebody may know the answer to this. Im thinking about getting into teaching Opticanry Part time in the future(Well far off not anytime soon) but was wondering what type of experience you need(eg years licensed) and also if you need any special teaching courses and what not. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great
    Your only requirement is to currently be licenced and registered and in good standing with no pending complaints and a few years (5 or more) of experience under your belt.

    Both Seneca and Georgian do not hire actual professors (PHD) like the universities do, so basically no teaching qualifications are required. Seneca is easier to apply and get into, where as Georgian is more of a club where they only hire their friends and colleagues.

  3. #3
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Your only requirement is to currently be licenced and registered and in good standing with no pending complaints and a few years (5 or more) of experience under your belt.

    Both Seneca and Georgian do not hire actual professors (PHD) like the universities do, so basically no teaching qualifications are required. Seneca is easier to apply and get into, where as Georgian is more of a club where they only hire their friends and colleagues.
    Thanks for the info. I attended Georgian and I figured it was just a group of friends and old dogs that wont give up teaching to the newer opticians. I still need a few more years under my belt until I qualify but I appericate the info

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bob & Doug's Place
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I attended Georgian and I figured it was just a group of friends and old dogs that wont give up teaching to the newer opticians. I still need a few more years under my belt until I qualify but I appericate the info
    Then you've experienced it first hand...it's a shame really they way they operate. You're more than welcome...good luck to you.

  5. #5
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Then you've experienced it first hand...it's a shame really they way they operate. You're more than welcome...good luck to you.
    Yeah its a real shame. I wasnt really happy with the program cooridinator while I was there and since she was almost forced to "retire"(which means still teaching part time and doing seminars at shows) She somehow got her husband in and had another optician take over as part time cooridinator. Just dont really understand the logic behind it all

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bob & Doug's Place
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Yeah its a real shame. I wasnt really happy with the program cooridinator while I was there and since she was almost forced to "retire"(which means still teaching part time and doing seminars at shows) She somehow got her husband in and had another optician take over as part time cooridinator. Just dont really understand the logic behind it all
    Yup know all about it. Like I said, it's a club. Both are lacking talent IMHO.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Google teaching public how to adjust glasses ..........................
    By Chris Ryser in forum Canadian Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2016, 10:17 AM
  2. Any videos out there for teaching how to read prism in progressive lenses?
    By JohnMcGowan in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 12:47 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 12:53 PM
  4. teaching job
    By jen in forum The Job Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2001, 06:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision Inc., Vision Equipment, Optitech USA and The Optical Group