Thread: wrong side of the table

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

wrong side of the table

I used a voucher to order a set of progressive lenses for myself of a brand I've recently sold but not yet worn. They came in today, and to my dismay the vision was horrible!! I literally had to optician myself and try to troubleshoot. I tried everything from adjustments to panto, covering one eye and then the other. I tried to walk around and forget about them. As my frustration mounted, I started to feel a cold chill , what if I had been selling a brand of lenses that is inferior? By 15 minutes in I had a terrible headache and I still couldn't find a single part of either lens that I could read with, no matter how I moved my head or glasses. I went back and stared at the invoice for the third time trying to see it with fresh eyes (by this time I was back in my regular progressives). I then realized that I had flipped the add powers when I ordered them, my od is +3.00, my os is +1.50. No wonder I couldn't see!
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh my! Well... accidents happen. You're only human. At least it was with your own glasses and not with a patient!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been wearing glasses almost forty years and I've been ordering my own for 24 years. You would think I would know my prescription by now.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    you know what they say....A man who acts as his own lawyer has a fool for a client.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It's especially hard to proof read yourself. We often make each other check our work, even for simple stuff, because of this. Hopefully the correct Rx can produce the 'wow' factor and displace any insecurities about the lens style. That's one thing that is a shame about 20/20 eyesight- I'm not good for testing out new lenses unless they are an anti-fatigue design. I have to rely on the opinions of my coworkers when recommending product.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work alone so I have to figure myself out.

I'm opposite of you. I have unusual vision needs, which means I'm always in search for anything that may work. I will never get a wow factor with progressives due to my right eye being amblyopic and exophoric and having two different add powers. I do have to say, I recently got my first pair of computer glasses and that was a WOW! No more double vision, no more headaches. Even the slight distance blur as I walk around is not a bother.

Occupation
    Congrats on the awesome computer pair! What did you and up getting if you don't mind me asking? It's always good t know what can please the most demanding eyes.

I'm certainly not complaining about the blessing of growing out of my childhood astigmatism. I'll get back into glasses eventually... no way around that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    unity cvexpression set at 4 foot

Occupation
    Good to know. We don't work with VSP so I probably won't ever work with that lens, but thanks anyways

Thread Information