Thread: Hoya buying Vision Ease

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hoya buying Vision Ease

Is this news I missed? Just got an email from them.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Hoya buying VE

I got it too! Sounds legit to me. Seems like a better fit then E.
    Last edited by peyes; 10-17-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Add to

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Ha! Had the exact same thought and needed to run to Optiboard and shout it from a mountaintop. Always last to the party, I guess. Hopefully it means a streamlined hybrid of the two companies.

Hope doesn't always work, though.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Acquisition strengthens global HOYA Vision Care business ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

TOKYO, October 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
    Acquisition strengthens global HOYA Vision Care business

HOYA Corporation (HOYA) today announced a definitive agreement to acquire Performance Optics, LLC (Performance Optics), including its subsidiaries VISION EASE and Daemyung Optical. Performance Optics is a global ophthalmic lens manufacturerspecializing in polycarbonate, photochromic, polarized and high index eyeglass lenses. This acquisition will strengthen HOYA's ability to provide customers with a broader portfolio of leading products, while continuing to provide best-in-class services to theeyewear industry.
    "The acquisition of Performance Optics expands HOYA's customer reach, particularly through VISION EASE's presence in the Americas and its strengths in polycarbonate products and technologies," said Girts Cimermans, CEO of HOYA Vision Care. "Performance Optics provides HOYA with additional capabilities in polycarbonate, photochromic and polarized lens technologies, as well as an expansion of our global footprint in high index lens casting to reinforce our position as a global technology leader in lens manufacturing. Importantly, we also will augment our global research & development capabilities, creating a new technology center of excellence outside ofJapan."

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The ¥48.98 billion acquisition includes Performance Optics’ ....................

UPDATED Oct. 13, 2016, with details on acquisition amount.
    Hoya Corp. (TYO:7741) said today it inked a deal to buy Performance Optics and its subsidiaries Vision Ease and Daemyung Optical for roughly $476 million.

The ¥48.98 billion acquisition includes Performance Optics’ ophthalmic lens manufacturing business, which includes polycarbonate, photochromic, polarized and high index eyeglass lenses, according to Tokyo-based Hoya.

“The acquisition of Performance Optics expands Hoya’s customer reach, particularly through Vision Ease’s presence in the Americas and its strengths in polycarbonate products and technologies. Performance Optics provides Hoya with additional capabilities in polycarbonate, photochromic and polarized lens technologies, as well as an expansion of our global footprint in high index lens casting to reinforce our position as a global technology leader in lens manufacturing. Importantly, we also will augment our global research & development capabilities, creating a new technology center of excellence outside of Japan,” Hoya Vision Care CEO Girts Cimermans said in a press release.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Hoya seems to be buying like everyone else. Seiko, now Vision Ease. The consolidation of the market seems to be gaining speed rather than slowing down. At this rate, there will be the really big players, and some really small guys, and that's it (even more so than now). I wonder what the market is going to look like when all the dust really settles and everyone is finally done consolidating.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The dust will only settle when they have reached their ultimate goal.................

Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post

I wonder what the market is going to look like when all the dust really settles and everyone is finally done consolidating.

The dust will never settle. There is an another world war going on, in the way of bloodless domination of the economy.

The optical industry is only a small part in it, as it is happening in ever part of the world at source industries.

The internet with its instant possibility of worldwide ways of communication has made it possible.

The leading industries are no more interested to sell their goods at the lowest prices, which then go up the ladder though distributors and retailers, which then sell the same goods at the highest price to the consumer.

We have watched the oil companies doing it for many years.
    They bought their retailers if they were independent, the gas stations, with their small repair shops, and re-built them as nice and modern outlets carrying their name.
    Nobody even lost a thought about what they were doing, by building a commercial kingdom. When one raises the price of a gallon of gas the competitor across the street is doing the same an hour later.
    They not only compete, the even collaborate in price fixing.

The optical manufacturing industry is going along the same idea, adapted to the products they manufacture.

The ultimate goal is to dominate every part of selling their products, from manufacturing to retail sales.

The dust will only settle when they have reached their ultimate goal, but there might only be a few very specially high quality optical retailers left at that time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The dust will never settle. There is an another world war going on, in the way of bloodless domination of the economy.

The optical industry is only a small part in it, as it is happening in ever part of the world at source industries.

The internet with its instant possibility of worldwide ways of communication has made it possible.

The leading industries are no more interested to sell their goods at the lowest prices, which then go up the ladder though distributors and retailers, which then sell the same goods at the highest price to the consumer.

We have watched the oil companies doing it for many years.
    They bought their retailers if they were independent, the gas stations, with their small repair shops, and re-built them as nice and modern outlets carrying their name.
    Nobody even lost a thought about what they were doing, by building a commercial kingdom. When one raises the price of a gallon of gas the competitor across the street is doing the same an hour later.
    They not only compete, the even collaborate in price fixing.

The optical manufacturing industry is going along the same idea, adapted to the products they manufacture.

The ultimate goal is to dominate every part of selling their products, from manufacturing to retail sales.

The dust will only settle when they have reached their ultimate goal, but there might only be a few very specially high quality optical retailers left at that time.
    Hoya is definitely losing the acquisition race and global domination to Essilor. In the next few short years, there will be no such thing as an independent lab, they will all soon be gobbled up.

Hoya paying over $462M U.S. is vastly overpriced - they must be desperate for market share.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Well my rep just totally brushed off the Clear Blue Filter from Vision Ease; I'll be interested to see if she acquires a new opinion. Not excited about this merge though. With Seiko, specific lens went on indefinite back order which is a bummer and I hope doesn't happen with VE. I know they are currently working on some new items as well. It would be nice to see those completed.

...plus I really like my VE rep! Nikki is the best!!
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation

Any clear Polycarbonate lens will absorb all UV up to 382 nm ........................

Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post

Well my rep just totally brushed off the Clear Blue Filter from Vision Ease; I'll be interested to see if she acquires a new opinion.

Any clear Polycarbonate lens will absorb all UV up to 382 nm. Visible light starts just a fraction below 400 nm and need a yellowish tinge to go over that 400 mark.

You can reach the same effect by tinting a lens with a UV 400 solution that leaves the lens a bit yellowish and you have 100% UV and blue light protection done one your premises for a lot less.

Occupation
    Any clear Polycarbonate lens will absorb all UV up to 382 nm. Visible light starts just a fraction below 400 nm and need a yellowish tinge to go over that 400 mark.

You can reach the same effect by tinting a lens with a UV 400 solution that leaves the lens a bit yellowish and you have 100% UV and blue light protection done one your premises for a lot less.

It's a matter differentiating between discomfort/ haze and actual protection from AMD. Different parts of the spectrum equal different side effects from blue light. The effort to distinguish that so as to keep my patients as updated and educated as possible has been tiring to say the least...

Occupation

Blue Jumper We should actually go back the the original idea of this thread.................

We should actually go back the the original idea of this thread and not divert to blue light protection that is only a new side theme, and has been around for the last 30 years when actual solutions were developed, and used, and are being rehashed and renewed again these days.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    We should actually go back the the original idea of this thread and not divert to blue light protection that is only a new side theme, and has been around for the last 30 years when actual solutions were developed, and used, and are being rehashed and renewed again these days.
    You're absolutely right Chris - the more things change, the more things stay the same. The lens companies these days are always rehashing the same old ophthalmic lens principals and just spinning it to current times.

When one jumps out of the gate with the latest version of an old invention, the others do the exact same and follow suit with their own spin. I sometimes wonder if the optical industry as a whole is actually advancing forward in technology like the companies say we are.

A frame is still just a lens holder with a hint of fashion, regardless of the material is derived from. And a lens is still just a lens, regardless of how it was cast or surfaced.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Well, after digital, FF, and POW customized lenses, has there really been much change since? I honestly don't see where the technology can really go from here, unless it's something really different, like those liquid crystal lenses that some are working on which are actually programmed rather than "made", as we know it. Frames in particular, I don't see where they can go, has there really been any new materials after beta-titanium?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're not done yet folks (as an industry that innovates.) On the eye glass side, 3D printing is going to be a reality. On the CL side, there will be new materials that allow for much longer wear times. On the surgical correction side, they are re- growing crystalline lenses using stem cell technology in England. Nope, lots more innovation down the pike.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm not sold on the 3D printing thing, at the moment. The plastic materials that can be printed are currently not all that durable. I'm not convinced they could stand up as frames as is. The new metal printing techniques, now those I can see going somewhere.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I sometimes wonder if the optical industry as a whole is actually advancing forward..

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

I sometimes wonder if the optical industry as a whole is actually advancing forward in technology like the companies say we are.

Yes it is advancing to the fact that the latest old news now goes over the internet to thousands of people in the optical trade, that were still lying in the crib 30 years ago.

Another thousands of them were still too young then and not paying attention to the novelties hitting the market and only being published in the trade rags, and presented at the yearly trade shows.

A place like Optiboard, that as today has: as of today Members 27,740 andActive Members818, plus all the lookers that come and go, is another professional place that did not exist in the days of 30 years ago, and any message you post can be seen within a second on the other side of the globe.

The people below 50 years of age would not even know what was the latest then, or that it had been around for that long and embrace these latest and newest money makers they could have even made themselves on their premises during all this time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Well my rep just totally brushed off the Clear Blue Filter from Vision Ease; I'll be interested to see if she acquires a new opinion. Not excited about this merge though. With Seiko, specific lens went on indefinite back order which is a bummer and I hope doesn't happen with VE. I know they are currently working on some new items as well. It would be nice to see those completed.

I agree...Nikki is the best!!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Nikki is the best!! .........................

I agree......plus I really like my VE rep! Nikki is the best!!
    I agree...Nikki is the best!!
    Would you mind to let us know, why Nikki is the best ??????

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ion
    She is an attentive rep, and we've had some good conversations -- a Minnesota nice woman.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper The women rep ................................

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post

She is an attentive rep, and we've had some good conversations -- a Minnesota nice woman.

When I had my frame companie selling L'Amy and Nigura (today Rodenstock) frames I was called nuts by my cpmpetitors when I hired the first women rep in the industry back in 1970.

Her name is Francine and she was a gorgeous looking blonde fashion model looking for a more steady job. I hired her in August, but her condition was to start only in October as she had to finish a Fashion tournee across the Province.

By the end of October she told me that all other reps had advertised that Chris Ryser was crazy of putting a good looking woman on the road and had been waiting for her.

Her sales commission as a starter was in the amount, a well seasoned rep would have made after a few years on the road. Most customers were waiting for her to come around.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nikki B? she IS the best!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Hoya paying over $462M U.S. is vastly overpriced - they must be desperate for market share.
    Indeed. Seemingly to the point that they're willing to spend themselves into bankruptcy just to be able to say "we bought stuff, too!" E's moves seem calculated. To quote Lab Insight, this move smacks of desperation. Reminds me of struggling big chain retailers trying to gobble up the smaller competition in the dying days of the brand. K-Mart/Sears, anyone?

Occupation
    Very good at communicating and checking in without being overbearing or bothersome. Gets the info I ask for and then some. Great personality if you are into a little general conversation

Occupation
    When I had my frame companie selling L'Amy and Nigura (today Rodenstock) frames I was called nuts by my cpmpetitors when I hired the first women rep in the industry back in 1970.

Her name is Francine and she was a gorgeous looking blonde fashion model looking for a more steady job. I hired her in August, but her condition was to start only in October as she had to finish a Fashion tournee across the Province.

By the end of October she told me that all other reps had advertised that Chris Ryser was crazy of putting a good looking woman on the road and had been waiting for her.

Her sales commission as a starter was in the amount, a well seasoned rep would have made after a few years on the road. Most customers were waiting for her to come around.
    Kudos to the nonjudgmental approach and belief in the capability of a woman. It amazes me how even in today's world a woman and a man can both tell a patient the same thing but certain people will only listen to one.

Thread Information