Thread: Magazine theft!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Angry Magazine theft!

Do you guys have people who come in and steal the magazines in your waiting room? We don't get subscriptions to a bunch of magazines we just bring in what we have from home when we're done with them. Some of the ladies bring in their home magazines, D magazine, and I usually bring the workout magazine I get for free when I buy supplements. It's really frustrating because the workout magazine doesn't seem to last long. So our manly man patients are stuck reading about how to decorate their sewing rooms for fall.... HAHA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, but I have lost plenty off near reading cards. They think it's part of the *package* of stuff we give them. I have to make sure I put them away after the patient tests their reading ability. ( I'm thinking of hooking chains tied to the desk on them!)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Nice! We have a reading card that is falling apart it's so old. Should I call the book of records?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want to get rid of it, put it in your magazine rack!

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Haven't noticed the magazines, but a lady stopped in saying she was walking to to work desperately needed to use the bathroom. We say "of course". Then the next PT to use it tells up there is no toilet paper. She took, the soap, the paper towels and the TP, even the roll that was one the holder!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Post a notice in the waiting room (patient lounge) reminding people that it is a HIPPA offence to remove reading literature from a medical facility.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Post a notice in the waiting room (patient lounge) reminding people that it is a HIPPA offence to remove reading literature from a medical facility.
    And just what is a HIPPA offence? Would the incorrect acronym and the incorrect spelling make the notice OK?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    No, but I have lost plenty off near reading cards. They think it's part of the *package* of stuff we give them. I have to make sure I put them away after the patient tests their reading ability. ( I'm thinking of hooking chains tied to the desk on them!)
    Me too! What the heck! Someone also stole my silhouette cards that are on stolen. What would they want with that???? I almost cried when they were taken because I had all the models, including old discontinued ones!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkRanger View Post
    Haven't noticed the magazines, but a lady stopped in saying she was walking to to work desperately needed to use the bathroom. We say "of course". Then the next PT to use it tells up there is no toilet paper. She took, the soap, the paper towels and the TP, even the roll that was one the holder!
    When I started reading that I thought it was going in a different direction. Every place I've worked there has been at least one event in a bathroom that it doesn't seem humanly possible to walk away from. I'm not going to get into it, use your imaginations.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    lol.. Attach them with a rope :p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=domshadd;529617Every place I've worked there has been at least one event in a bathroom that it doesn't seem humanly possible to walk away from. I'm not going to get into it, use your imaginations.[/QUOTE]
    What is with that? I work in an office where most of my patients are geriatric. The things we see! Like you said...it doesn't seem humanly possible! What's a little magazine theft after that?

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I buy Halloween candy to give to my patients during the season. I keep it in my office so I can keep track of it. I literally had a lady come into my office, dump the bucket into her purse and giggle and leave. She wasn't even our patient.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I buy Halloween candy to give to my patients during the season. I keep it in my office so I can keep track of it. I literally had a lady come into my office, dump the bucket into her purse and giggle and leave. She wasn't even our patient.
    What the crap???
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bad address email on file Vernon's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    you can place a CCTV camera nad place a warning board that "you are being watched, please smile" something like that. It can deter many from stealing the magazines. I wonder how guys snuck up the magazines when they leave.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    "Your Halloween Trick or Treat was very disappointing to a lot of little kids. A lot of stores did not participate which is horrible publicity and a lot gave out the cheapest thing possible, a Dum Dum lollipop. Come on. Gymboree and Children's Place did not give out anything and they are children shops. Plus, do the retail stores realize the message that they are sending to their retail shoppers. They look like cheapskates and they are. The Mall should demand participation. How many families will think twice now about making a purchase at the stores that disappointed their children and their were quite a few. These stores should be bending over backwards with a great treat, like a little treat bag. Little kids do grow up and will long remember who disappointed them. They are your future market."

This is a message that was left on the Mall's (where my shop is) Facebook page from last year. People who bring their children to the mall for Trick or Treating or host birthday parties in the food court are not fit to be parents.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously...what is wrong with people?????

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    "Your Halloween Trick or Treat was very disappointing to a lot of little kids. A lot of stores did not participate which is horrible publicity and a lot gave out the cheapest thing possible, a Dum Dum lollipop. Come on. Gymboree and Children's Place did not give out anything and they are children shops. Plus, do the retail stores realize the message that they are sending to their retail shoppers. They look like cheapskates and they are. The Mall should demand participation. How many families will think twice now about making a purchase at the stores that disappointed their children and their were quite a few. These stores should be bending over backwards with a great treat, like a little treat bag. Little kids do grow up and will long remember who disappointed them. They are your future market."

This is a message that was left on the Mall's (where my shop is) Facebook page from last year. People who bring their children to the mall for Trick or Treating or host birthday parties in the food court are not fit to be parents.
    What a joke! They don't get that the corporate stores don't pay for that candy, they make the employees take it out of their pocket if they want to give it out. To think that you can buy brand loyalty with a Dum Dum is ridiculous by its self. Those kids are going to pic the latest Samsung fireball over the Iphone because you rotted their teeth a bit.....sure...

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some jerk took the BRAND NEW Better Homes and Gardens! I didn't even get to read it at lunch!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just found out that we got People magazine. I've been here for 5 years and have never seen one. The staff takes it before it hits the waiting room. (and I'm not talking about just reading it at lunch and then bringing it back) Hmmmm....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    What the crap???
    this is what we mostly face.. very bad

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Magazines? Not so much, but from my experience, most people aren't stealing months/years old magazines that are usually left in the doctors office.
    Candy? Yes. some patients have complained about the quality of the candy (non name brand) and asked if we could have what we have in the back (name brand bought with the staffs own money for the staff to enjoy. And we don't advertise that we have that candy and it is not visible to the patient in any way). Others have done the candy "grab and go" and act offended that they can't have the whole bowl for themselves.
    Kuerig coffee cups? Sometimes, but we never kept a large amount out or went high end with the offerings.
    Glasses-specifically from the lions club bin. I have had to stop people from rummaging through the lions club bin thinking that it was a way to get free frames.

Bathroom..um...cleanup? The restaurants I worked for in the past were easier to clean up than what I have come across in a doctors office. Additionally, forget having a locked employee only/private staff bathroom to make it better.

Thread Information