Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Plastic rimlon frame

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    147

    Confused Plastic rimlon frame

    Any one out there know of a plastic ( saddle bridge ) semi rimlon. I have not seen these in years. One of my customer wants one. Thanks for your help in advance. Oh, available in Canada. I made one years ago.......don't want to again.

  2. #2
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    145
    I think Centennial had one in their encore line. They may have been phasing it oiut though

  3. #3
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    I think Centennial had one in their encore line. They may have been phasing it oiut though
    hmm. may be... :)

  4. #4
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by janessa642 View Post
    hmm. may be... :)
    hmmm.. maybe....
    Last edited by haliopt; 10-07-2016 at 07:28 AM.

  5. #5
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    147
    Thanks jc17777; looks like it,s gone. Thanks for your help.

  6. #6
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    145
    You are welcome. If i see anything else that may work ill let you know

  7. #7
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    21,124

    Blue Jumper You can do that with just about any frame you want .....................

    In the 1970s we purchased regular frames, plastic as well as metal, cut of the lower rim and drilled the holes inserted the nylon thread and had rimless frames.

    You can do that with just about any frame you want. All you need is a drill, a file, some fine sand paper and a polish buffer. It does not even take much time to do it.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  8. #8
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In the 1970s we purchased regular frames, plastic as well as metal, cut of the lower rim and drilled the holes inserted the nylon thread and had rimless frames.

    You can do that with just about any frame you want. All you need is a drill, a file, some fine sand paper and a polish buffer. It does not even take much time to do it.
    Ive done that with a plastic a long long time ago. That also voids the warranty on the frame

  9. #9
    Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    In the Middle
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Posts
    2,612
    Victory Optical has one. http://www.victoryoc.com/index.php?r...product_id=242

    Interesting frame measurements on this one.

  10. #10
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    21,124

    Blue Jumper There were days when the only warranty was for .......................

    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post

    Ive done that with a plastic a long long time ago. That also voids the warranty on the frame

    There were days when the only warranty was for defective products and you would get a replacement from the supplier.

    These days you charge the buyer an extra cost of a new frame as warranty and hope, and prey, that they will never break it.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  11. #11
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    There were days when the only warranty was for defective products and you would get a replacement from the supplier.

    These days you charge the buyer an extra cost of a new frame as warranty and hope, and prey, that they will never break it.
    Thats all on the manufactuers who have been offering longer warranties to compete with their competitors

  12. #12
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    21,124

    Blue Jumper It is you the retailers that are asking for longer warranties ....................

    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post

    Thats all on the manufactuers who have been offering longer warranties to compete with their competitors

    The manufacturers do not give warranties besides replacements for defective items. The cost of purchasing frames has been upgraded by distributors to cover for extended warranties.

    It is you the retailers that are asking for long warranties from the distributors who then overcharges for them.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  13. #13
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The manufacturers do not give warranties besides replacements for defective items. The cost of purchasing frames has been upgraded by distributors to cover for extended warranties.

    It is you the retailers that are asking for long warranties from the distributors who then overcharges for them.
    I know that the distributors have changed their prices to reflect their extended warranties. But unless every single Optician and Optometrist puts their arms up in the air and says we demand less warranties and lower prices nothing is going to change at this point.

  14. #14
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    21,124

    Redhot Jumper You will not need everyone to put their arms up .........................

    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post

    I know that the distributors have changed their prices to reflect their extended warranties. But unless every single Optician and Optometrist puts their arms up in the air and says we demand less warranties and lower prices nothing is going to change at this point.

    You will not need everyone to put their arms up, like you say.

    Today with the internet making any searches easy, you can come up with answers to just about anything by just asking the right questions.

    These days when major manufacturers have entered the retail market and consolidated the laboratory side into strategic locations, as well as advertising their latest products right to the public, it is time to re-think the way to lower your cost if possible.

    The last time this happened was after the worldwide commercial downturn in the early and mid 1980's.

    Lens manufacturers offered scratch resistant coatings and UV400 absorbing lenses and started the UV scare like they are doing now again for an additional price increase.

    Some of the smart optical retailers were looking to do these applications themselves in their own backroom labs, and created a demand for a new supply industry to supply the products, to easily do those new treatments in their own premises at much lower cost.

    As history repeats itself in one way or another related way, one can find ways to reduce ones cost factors from your chair at home, by using the internet.

    You can find the exact frames you want at a fraction of the price on the internet as well as any lens treatments you want to do yourself, with only one exception. the AR coatings that require expensive equipment.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  15. #15
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    10

  16. #16
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    21,124

    Blue Jumper There are a few options from ............................

    Quote Originally Posted by JuliaG View Post

    There are a few options from Venus Eye Design
    http://www.venuseyedesign.com/collections/venus-

    Interesting, they look like the frames we converted in the late 1960s, regular frames lower half cut off, drilled the holes and buffed them, for $ 10.00 more. And here the price is really profitable.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Plastic vs Metal Frame Percentage
    By Northernmist in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 03:56 PM
  2. Puzzled by a plastic frame...
    By MikeAurelius in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 10:02 AM
  3. Dye the plastic or acetate frame
    By FSTAB in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
  4. Need help finding a special frame - plastic
    By MarySue in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM
  5. Rimlon frame trouble
    By AEOC in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics, Carl Zeiss Vision Inc., Vision Systems, Inc., ISOTech and The Optical Group