Thread: Help!! Open an optical lab

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Help!! Open an optical lab

Hi All

i am planning to invest open an optical lab in California, i am not an optician, no related certificated. But i will hire licensed optician who can work in the lab.

Please advise the process/steps or qualification or what license i should apply? include lab/warehouse qualification?zoning? I went to city hall, they don't know any thing regarding my questions, only said to me is that you can apply license here for your business. but as i know it should be related to health department or FDA something?

anyone who has experience about the process of opening an optical lab, please help me out, thank you

(have budget covered, will to edging lenses, small lab with 2-3 edging machine, not industry line)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiex View Post
    Hi All

i am planning to invest open an optical lab in California, i am not an optician, no related certificated. But i will hire licensed optician who can work in the lab.

Please advise the process/steps or qualification or what license i should apply? include lab/warehouse qualification?zoning? I went to city hall, they don't know any thing regarding my questions, only said to me is that you can apply license here for your business. but as i know it should be related to health department or FDA something?

anyone who has experience about the process of opening an optical lab, please help me out, thank you

(have budget covered, will to edging lenses, small lab with 2-3 edging machine, not industry line)
    Invest in a business in which you know very well, not one you do not. Labs are being acquired, then closed consistently these days. If anything, do optical retail and hire an optician to run it for you. Less capital investment and much higher profit margins.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In all seriousness, you'll make more opening a pizzeria or ice cream shop than a finish lab. If you're dead serious about getting into optical do as insight suggests, open a retail location, hire out an experienced manager.

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    In all seriousness, you'll make more opening a pizzeria or ice cream shop than a finish lab. If you're dead serious about getting into optical do as insight suggests, open a retail location, hire out an experienced manager.
    I heard awhile back pizzerias have some of the highest margins of any business. I'd trade a health inspector for an MVC auditor any day.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    thanks guys, we have good background of this business in other country, just don't know what's the regulation or permit requires in US. Please share what you know that will be very appreciated. T

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Don't do it. Invest in something else.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Seriously. Don't do it.
    But, if you decide to anyway.......
    Register your business name, get a business license (check with your state for exact procedures), buy all your equipment, and go at it.
    That's what I did.
    Now, 4 years later, I'm shutting down and going retail.
    Again.....don't do it. Or at least take another really hard look at your business plan.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You only need to involve the FDA if you're importing.

The zoning would be whatever your local government requires for industrial zoning, assuming you're just manufacturing.

California is probably one of the highest labor rates you can find....do you have a network of stores you're supporting, or an already established customer base?

I'd suggest that, if you really want, you contact some wholesale labs (whether it me or someone else) and see if you can get something in place to source your surfaced lenses from them. That's a lot easier to cost-justify close to two million dollars for equipment, buildings, and people.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Thread Information