Thread: Anyone Else Dieting??

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anyone Else Dieting??

I have been dieting since November and have lost 30 pounds! I have a lot more to go. I was wondering if any Optiboarders may be looking for a diet buddy?

It is always better to share the pain and the glory! Feel free to use the e-mail button below and tell me your story!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Way to go, Cindy!

Since starting my current job, I've found 25 of the 30 pounds you've lost. It just seems impossible to keep up any type of fitness routine when you're traveling, working late, eating out a lot, etc.

Hopefully, by moving a TV out on the lanai in front of the treadmill I'll be able to get on the maniac program that I routinely use to shed 20 lbs in about a month.

Keep at it, I look forward to meeting my svelte cousin at VEE!
    :)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good job, Cindy.

I'd like to hear YOUR story.
    How are YOU doing it...diet and excercise?

hip chic

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cindy,
    I'll buddy with you! We can check progress in March at Expo and in April at OAV. Are you using a specific plan?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who's NOT dieting ?

4 out of 6 in our office are counting calories. I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks, but it's the last six (out of 10lbs) that I was trying to lose. They say those are the hardest. My diet consisted of drinking a ton of water (don't try this if you're traveling away from "facilities") and eating more often, but less food. It worked like a charm, and I don't feel hungry. A friend of mine lost 53 lbs. like this. The no/low carb seems to work for some, but they usually gain it right back.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would also like to buddy with you! I started out really well but lately I seem to have lost focus. Maybe having a buddy or two will help!

Lori

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't we buddy right here on this thread.

I am sticking somewhat to a 1200 calorie diet. If I eat out I usually have a small chilli at Wendy's and a tatie!

Or if I eat out at a swankier place, I eat a third of whatever I am brought (since most restaurant portions are 3). I try to make a couple of soups on the weekend and alternate them for the week for lunches. This week it was tortellini and a mexican bean soup I got out of the Woman's Day magazine. Yummy!

For snacks, I have about 8-10 animal crackers! I just bought a vat of them at the Price Club. Occassionally, I have a handful of unsalted peanuts.

I have light yogurt for breakfast and a banana and some kind of fruit with my lunch. A red delicious apple is my favorite. Lots of water as Johns said and try to limit my soda.

Dinner is usually chicken, a sirloin steak (lean) and vegies. Or I may get a big salad and carry it out.

I had a sweet craving the other day and bought a snickers bar and let me tell you it was the BEST SNICKERS THAT WAS EVER MADE! Yes, I get weak occassionally.

The other thing I do is get on the scale every morning and I write my weight on a chart inside the medicine cabinet door! That keeps me honest with myself. If I splurge too much I know it soon!

I already had to start wearing skirts as my pants are too big now! I am waiting til I lose more to get them altered.

The best part ladies is we get new clothes! I have a lot of weight to lose and I am determined to do it and keep it off!

So share your successes and your recipes, secrets, etc. If you are too embarrassed then e-mail me and it will stay between you and I! Good luck!!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So share your successes and your recipes, secrets, etc. If you are too embarrassed then e-mail me and it will stay between you and I! Good luck!!
    Here's the diet that has always worked for me. It will usually take about 20 pounds off the first month...

• Breakfast- Grapenuts in vanilla low-fat yougart and One-a-Day daily vitamin supplement
    • two sets of 20-40 pushups before work
    • two 24 ounce waters before lunch
    • Lunch- turkey sandwich on wheat w/ one slice cheese and mustard
    • Two 24 ounce waters before dinner
    • Dinner- bowl of Wheaties or Special K
    • Run 2 miles on treadmill before or immediately after dinner at 4-6mph pace and slight incline (drink two 24 ounce waters during excersize)
    • banana immediately after running

The total usually comes out to about 1,000-1,200 calories. If you can do this for 3 days, you get into a zone where it becomes just completely routine. After the first couple days, you'll start to drop about a pound a day.

The problem is, if you travel this is an EXTREMELY hard regimen to keep. So, you have to find a month where you aren't likely to be going anywhere. If you do the running anytime after about 6pm, don't expect to be falling asleep anytime soon!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hi Cindy:

Exercise! It's the only way, and do not diet! Repeat, do not diet, just eat healthy and exercise at least four to five times a week. Drink plenty of water. I am a licensed aerobics instructor. If you need help, let me know.

Sylvia, R.O., ABOC
    Providence Forge, VA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sylvia,
    I exercise as well and had gotten to the place I needed to change my diet. I am effecting a lifestyle change here and making a quality of life decision for ME! I had to begin dieting.

It is working for me and when I get to the weight I need to be at (still a long way to go) I will have learned how to eat properly.
    ~Cindy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Cindy:

You sound like you are on the right track! I want you to continue and give it your all. If "dieting" works for you then you go for it! I will keep you in my prayers as you continue to lose the weight that you desire.

Sylvia
    Providence Forge, VA

"We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose". Romans 8:28

Thread Information