Thread: Glass Bead tray question

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Glass Bead tray question

Hey guys, I started a new job recently and this dispensary has a bead tray that hasnt been stirred in a really long time. It seems like alot of the glass beads have fused together and have stuck to the bottom of the tray. Does anyone have any advice how to remedy this so that I can get those fused beads unstuck?

Regards,
    jc17777

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Chances are the beads have been stuck together with years of face cheese, nose scrapings, 10 year old make-up and are well contaminated with MRSA, C. diff, syphillus and God only known what else. Dispose of them at the nearest Hazmat site. These beads are more contaminated than the toilet seat in the Beirut, Lebanon Bus Station. And to think that you actually handle these things.

When you have finished you might want to wash your hands . . . real good.

Then, get a hot air frame heater.

And, don't give me any crap about the heat killing all the germs.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    Hey guys, I started a new job recently and this dispensary has a bead tray that hasnt been stirred in a really long time. It seems like alot of the glass beads have fused together and have stuck to the bottom of the tray. Does anyone have any advice how to remedy this so that I can get those fused beads unstuck?

Regards,
    jc17777
    JC,

You could try talcum powder. Make sure you fix the ones on the bottom.

It should be stirred before every use (hot spots).

Try not to spill coffee in it, especially if you use sugar.

Switch to a high quality warm air unit.

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Throw them away. Purchase salt. But the "hairdryer" frame warmer will do most of the work. I bought a hot air gun from lowes for $40. Works just as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate glass beads. I would definitely toss them and use the salt/baby powder mix. Salt can be dissolved in water and the glass beads can not. I've seen glass beads get stuck in eyewires etc. I also use the blower. I'm one who likes to use them both depending on what needs heated up and agree that the blower is cleaner. My blower here is so old that pieces keep falling off it. Since my 50 requests for a new one have been ignored, I mostly use the newer salt box,

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    am i the only one to experience the major issue with glass...like when one glass bead can ruin your day when it gets inbetween the lens and frame and puts a little 'dent' in that beautiful crystal colored zyl eyewire...something a myope will ALWAYS notice
    salt and talc! less than $2

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I recently had a frame rep come in and I proceeded to try on a beautiful frame. It was in desperate need of straightening so after asking, in the hot box it went. I started the adjustment and realized that glass beads had made their way into the metal accent on the temples and WOULD NOT come back out. Long story short, I took the temples and accents apart to get the beads out without damaging the frame. Needless to say we did not bring that particular model in.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frankly, I'm surprised anyone still uses glass-bead hot-boxes. I have never worked at a dispensary that had one, and any old timers that I worked with talked about them like they were myths.

However, in my hubris to prove you can get a cheap hot-air frame warmer. I went to my go-to optical supplier: Western Optical. The first thing I see is glass beads and a hot-box frame warmer. (^o^ ) So i guess if youre interested you can replace youre petri dish beads with some fresh bought... http://westernoptical.com/products/F...***-beads.html
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, if you don't mind getting your hot-air frame warmer from Uncle Mao you can get one for as little as 19 American Pesos: https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/e...me-warmer.html
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    am i the only one to experience the major issue with glass...like when one glass bead can ruin your day when it gets inbetween the lens and frame and puts a little 'dent' in that beautiful crystal colored zyl eyewire...something a myope will ALWAYS notice
    salt and talc! less than $2
    Yup. Been there. I hate glass beads. Plus some always escape onto the counter and are a pain to clean up. At least salt can be dissolved! Just run it under water...problem solved.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It's been a good 20+ years since I've used glass beads. When I did used glass beads I preferred the larger glass beads to the smaller ones or salt.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If i change my hot bead warmer and put in the salt and talcum powder is there a certain ratio that I should be putting in? Also is there a special type of salt or any will suffice. I recoomended to the owner that we switch to a hot air warmer and thats probably the way we will be going anyways.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by jc17777 View Post
    If i change my hot bead warmer and put in the salt and talcum powder is there a certain ratio that I should be putting in? Also is there a special type of salt or any will suffice. I recoomended to the owner that we switch to a hot air warmer and thats probably the way we will be going anyways.
    yes. its the rite way, switching to a hot air warmer

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for a summer back in the 90's in upstate New York at a place that used salt. Guy there used to dip his french fries in it and laughed as all of us would run away screaming.
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    I worked for a summer back in the 90's in upstate New York at a place that used salt. Guy there used to dip his french fries in it and laughed as all of us would run away screaming.
    I just threw up a little. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post

Fries with a side of face gunk. Yum!

Thread Information