Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Little Help For Jody Maybe?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Compared to me, when it comes to managing vision disorders, you are an idiot, John.

You're just too idiotic to know it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's the deal, guys.

You can't replace a human brain with a human brain's contrivance. The machine may run its little program quickly, but how good is the program?

You are going to see, in the near future, much to your disagreeance, "bot-docs". You will have a lesser copay to actually talk to a robot. (Yes, you will pay for the privilege.)

"What symptom are you having today? Please say or press '1' for 'runny nose'."

All you geniuses don't seem to get that there are a MILLION reasons why that patient can't see, and there are a MILLION different types of patients which need consideration when devising one of a MILLION treatment plans.

So your robots aren't going to help.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's more, just because UBER has driverless cars coming up, does that mean it's really a good idea? Nope, it's a bad idea, for a host of reasons.

(You can ponder the connection to this discussion.)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just say'in...

Gee drk- Didn't the Ophthalmologists make the same argument when OD's wanted to diagnose, treat and prescribe for medical conditions?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From my archives;

"Charles Prentice, the father of Refracting Opticians

Charles Prentice’s pioneering studies in optics earned him the praise of prominent ophthalmologists at home and abroad. But his status as a leading refracting optician also inspired contempt among medical doctors regarded Mr. Prentice’s trade as a threat to medicine.

Trained as a mechanical engineer in Germany, Mr. Prentice applied his knowledge of math and physics to the field of optics. In 1890, his papers on the “Law of Declaration” and “A Metric System of Numbering and Measuring Prisms” won him a worldwide reputation as a brilliant innovator.

Mr. Prentice and a handful of others formed the Optical Society of the State of New York in 1895, in part to counter M.D.s who accused refracting opticians of violating medical practice laws. In 1896, Mr. Prentice successfully argued that fitting glasses constituted the treatment of light, not disease, and so did not infringe upon medicine’s purview."

And This;

Definitions

Registered Opticians:

"An expert in the bending of light, through the use of lenses of varying parameters, for the purpose of creating the sharpest or clearest possible image at various focal lengths."

Refraction:

"The bending of light, through the use of lenses of varying parameters, for the purpose of creating the sharpest or clearest possible image at various focal lengths."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Gee drk- Didn't the Ophthalmologists make the same argument when OD's wanted to diagnose, treat and prescribe for medical conditions?
    Who cares? It's not the same thing.

The stuff I do is as good as an ophthalmologist, or I let them do what I'm not qualified to do.

Nonetheless, I went to school for it, am up to date on the science, and have had 25 years of experience.

None of that matters, here.

What does matter is that someone is advocating looking into an autorefractor instead of getting vision care.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Charles F. Prentice, the father of American optometry ... - Scoop.it

www.scoop.it/t/optometry.../p/.../charles-f-prentice-the-father-of-american-optometry

Mar 6, 2013 - In 1895 Charles F. Prentice threatened with jail for charging a fee for eye ... to describe refractive procedures, although refracting opticians were ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

All you geniuses don't seem to get that there are a MILLION reasons why that patient can't see, and there are a MILLION different types of patients which need consideration when devising one of a MILLION treatment plans.

So your robots aren't going to help.
    I happen to agree. I was taught a great lesson in NY when I worked for an OMD. I re-did a refraction on a recheck patient with 2+ nuclear cataracts, simple right? She said to send patient for blood work, sugar off the chart. She taught me to think "whole body", not just eyes. Smartest Doctor I know. Not for me.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't want to come across as the jerkstore.

It's just what you said, OBX. There's way too much that goes into it.

Some simplified machine is not doing anyone any favors. It's an urban legend.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Technology is awesome and scary. I cannot understand why ODs and Opticians are so afraid. Optometrists should realize by now that independent opticians are less than 8% if not less of their competition. Yet you bark at a guy who is providing a job to an OD and giving him the ability to practice medical optometry and taking the boring refraction out of the picture. No one has died from poor refractions (although they may be very good) and the melanomas are being caught by the OD that works for him (or out of his office). I can see you being very unhappy with a refracting online monitor but give us a break. That online monitor was developed by one of your kind an OD...it wasnt and Optician. If Jodi was an employee of the OD will that make you guys feel better?

Optometry is missing a huge opportunity. Expensive technology is out there that can do a complete eye exam and the best thing is that you can benefit by being the captain of such ship. Yet they pick a fight with a simple optician. I hope you are smart enough to engage your real competition that has eaten most of the pie. We can laugh on the video (the italianos)that everyone is posting but it really should make you cry.

CNG

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    I know how you feel. When I needed one, I literally had to travel 200 miles, across the state, to a nationally known research university, with a medical school, to find a neuro-optho (but at least he was really, really good).
    Thank you! We do have a med school at the facility where I was seen, which is a conglomerate of two of the biggest universities in the country, and so much research goes on here. There is a new eye center built with a donor grant, and it's massive, state-of-the-art. I have a friend who is an optician there, and he loves it. All of that, yet they don't have one, and there aren't any others available in private practice either. I'm not sure there's one in the state who still practices. That's crazy.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I happen to agree. I was taught a great lesson in NY when I worked for an OMD. I re-did a refraction on a recheck patient with 2+ nuclear cataracts, simple right? She said to send patient for blood work, sugar off the chart. She taught me to think "whole body", not just eyes. Smartest Doctor I know. Not for me.
    We can be taught to refract, but only the doctor prescribes.

WRT Aberometry/Auotrefraction, the objective results are only good enough for starting points.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4401825/
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Compared to me, when it comes to managing vision disorders, you are an idiot, ... You're just too idiotic to know it.
    Its the issue of the "Unknown, Unknown" in information theory. One is not aware of what they do not know. It's the most dangerous quadrant of the information quadrangle.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    Technology is awesome and scary. I cannot understand why ODs and Opticians are so afraid. Optometrists should realize by now that independent opticians are less than 8% if not less of their competition.
    Tired frame of reference. This has nothing to do with "competition". The 1970's wants its hot-button-issue back.

Yet you bark at a guy who is providing a job to an OD and giving him the ability to practice medical optometry and taking the boring refraction out of the picture.
    It's nothing personal.
    Nobody is more or less equipped to practice "medical optometry" based on whether they refract or delegate it. That's a non-issue.

P.S. Refractions aren't boring. Are you going for the old "we need illegal refractors to do the job that American optometrists don't want to do"? Sounds vaguely familiar...

No one has died from poor refractions (although they may be very good) and the melanomas are being caught by the OD that works for him (or out of his office).
    They don't have to die from that. Has anyone died from an impacted molar? Allergies? Acne? Straw man argument: non-fatal conditions don't need a doctor-level practitioner to fix it.

I can see you being very unhappy with a refracting online monitor but give us a break.That online monitor was developed by one of your kind an OD...it wasnt and Optician.
    I'm well aware of that. I know who he/they are.

If Jodi was an employee of the OD will that make you guys feel better?
    What matters is that the doctor is treating vision disorders. The rest, legal stuff.

Optometry is missing a huge opportunity. Expensive technology is out there that can do a complete eye exam and the best thing is that you can benefit by being the captain of such ship. Yet they pick a fight with a simple optician. I hope you are smart enough to engage your real competition that has eaten most of the pie. We can laugh on the video (the italianos)that everyone is posting but it really should make you cry.
    An opportunity to practice poor optometry? I'll pass.

But we're not talking about how optometry practices. That's not the point. The point is not even the "self-practice" of optometry. Do your own sex-change, if you want, in our free country.

The issue is non-licensed professionals practicing optometry or medicine on citizens. They haven't earned the right to do that.
    Last edited by drk; 09-15-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same old story of protectionism. The reality is that technology is and will continue to evolve. Standard not based on b&m ods finances but on the idea of patients safety. Instead of refraction how about a full exam based on the latest equipment with the highest reliability managed by omd instead of ods provided remotely? Once federal legislation happens many professions will change. Why not ods using this technology?
    Problem is ods income will drop?

Cng

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are we talking about refraction in the future? We're gonna have implant/lazer/lasik/stem cell therapy ( growing new crystaline lenses with ST's already in the UK). No more presbyopia. No myopia, No hyperopia. ...

We're all old time' blacksmiths makin' horse shoes. We just haven't realized it yet. Technology will make us a mention on Wikipedia...

I'm glad I'm at the zenith of my career. I've seen amazing advances. Hang on.....more to come. Treatment of visual disorders will sooner or later not include eye wear to correct.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Death will be optional in about a hundred years, if you can afford it.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information