Thread: Autorefractor uses / accuracy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Autorefractor uses / accuracy

I am researching the common uses of autorefractors in various situations world-wide.

I am interested in how they are used in common practice and how accurate they have proven to be in reality.

I am thinking of everything from VOSH to commmon eyecare practices as well as commerical uses in situations less restrictive than North America or Europe.

Looking forward to you input. :)

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    We use a NIDEK auto refractor/keratometer for assessing post operative patients in a Hospital setting in the UK. We have not found the auto refraction to be as helpful as we would have liked as it struggles with very distorted corneas and even slight media opacities. Occasionally though it does give us a clue when we are having an off day with our retinoscopy :D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

I need help for equiment?

friends i need advice for aurefractors , in interesting in open a optometry office , i have a lot offers but i don know which ark buy please help

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Auto refractors are better than poor human refractors, and are indeed used by some instead of human refractors. Auto refractors are not as good as good concientious human refractors.

That's the whole ball of wax.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't use them in this office since we allow a half hour per patient exam time. The last place I worked they had one because they were cramming in an exam every fifteen minutes and the autorefractor gave the doc a place to start. Not intensely accurate but certainly a time saver. Even handier when the patient was unable to communicate well verbally.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I purchased one

in about 2003 I purchased a MRX-3100 by Charops. It has been worth every penny I paid for it.
    I use it in the local Health Fair, School screening and in-office vision screening .. creats quite a few new appointment for the human refractor.

It is accurate and trouble free. The human refractor says it is the most accurate he has ever used.

It has only added to our practice ....

Every independent optician should have one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just purchased a second hand Humphrey Acuitus 5015, and we're finding that all the rx's are off by at least 0.75-1.50D. It is a good starting point though, but not too good for an independant optician (if that we're legal and all....;)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    refractors make few difference in accuracy no matter which brand you use

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Were you speaking of human refractors or auto refractors?

The doctor says he has found a difference (working in several offices) and continues to think this one the the most accurate he has used.

In other parts of the world, eyeglasses are made directly from the findings of good autorefractors ....... but we are in this part and have to put up the differences and inaccuracies of human refractors.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Wave Autorefractors help

Hi everybody!:) in writing from Costa Rica, a we have very limited brands of equipement, I have been pratice about 8 years ago in a private clinic whith a about a 1000 dollars salary and whith about 50 to 60 :angry:pacients by day, as can imaging we have very poor optometrist condition ( and besides we are not able to prescribe any kind of drugs just CL and eyeglases) So got tired of this rutine so i decide to make a diference and have a practice of own:idea:. I trying to make a disicion about autorefractometers which i should buy keeping in mind the relationship betwen price and acuracy, this are the options Nidek,Topcon, shin-nippon, hubitz and protec.

ill thank you kind opinion:bbg:

Thread Information