Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NO More Maui Jim

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NO More Maui Jim

Has anyone discontinued business with Maui Jim before? How did you go about selling off/returning product? Can you get an actual refund on your credit if you close out an account? Any suggestions?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luxottica would be able to answer this question, since they just dropped MJ and came out with a Ray-Ban line that looks just like MJs.

Sorry, I'm not much help...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Didn't know Lux had ever actually succeeded in buying Maui Jim. They tried multiple times over the years, but always got snubbed - and rightfully so. To the best of my knowledge, they've always been independent.

Do you have some new super-secret information you can share with the rest of the class?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We stopped a while back, styles were so old that we kept them and sold them as marked down d/c'd frames.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Didn't know Lux had ever actually succeeded in buying Maui Jim. They tried multiple times over the years, but always got snubbed - and rightfully so. To the best of my knowledge, they've always been independent.

Do you have some new super-secret information you can share with the rest of the class?

They did not succeed. That's why I said they would be able to answer the OPs question about discontinuing business with them. They are now selling Ray-Bans that sort of look like MJs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hippo33 View Post
    Has anyone discontinued business with Maui Jim before? How did you go about selling off/returning product? Can you get an actual refund on your credit if you close out an account? Any suggestions?
    They will not write you out a check if that is what you are asking about. Just sell them at an earth shattering discount and mark them "AS IS" Or sell them as RB look-a-likes. Or you can have your people talk to their people.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Marked them down in the store sold as is. Listed them online @ 30% off. Whoever bought first got it. As far as warranties, over the next year I would send them to Maui for the customer under the customer's info. This is after attempting to warranty a product. They wanted to bill me until the patient got involved.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! Just curious... What made you return the Maui's? I do ok with them and love the lenses.

Optical Thingymajig OptiBoard Gold Supporter PartTimer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For our office, it was a fiscal decision. We only sold a handful a year. The lenses are great. The quality was never an issue. However, I can get a bigradient mirror polarized 1.60 Auto II/III in any other wrapped frame I want. As is, they just don't move enough here. If they were less expensive on the back end, I might still carry them. Maui wanted us to fill our selection back out by about 20 frames or they would have to cancel our account.

So I canceled it. I work for my employer and my patient, not Maui. I could really push them and sell more of them, of course, but why would I want to do that? I can sell a great quality lens in another brand for much better margin, or the patient will come in asking about an Oakley, and I don't have to do much to convince them. I get maybe half a dozen requests for the Mauis a year, and we sell 2500+ frames in that period.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Wow! Just curious... What made you return the Maui's? I do ok with them and love the lenses.
    The quality is there, no doubt. They are a great frame and lens. They just aren't moving and haven't for some time. We have a high VSP concentration of patients and the patient balance after their insurance allowances, is just too much for most :(

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    They are really making headway on their designs. Never a strong suit for them, but I am impressed with the drastic changes in models over the last year. I don't hesitate to tell people MJs are the best sunglass money can buy. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a frame I love on myself, so I make my own Maui style lenses and put them in a frame I do like. I'll do the same for my patients. Just because Maui's are the best, doesn't mean they can't be replicated.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why are they "the best"?

I agree that they're nice and have the kitchen sink thrown in.

Maybe the "plano sunlenses with the most standard features"?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Isn't it funny how Oakley/Lux has marketed their particular brand of optical garbage - and the public eats it up? Regardless of the vastly superior optical quality of lenses from the likes of Maui, (the ORIGINAL) Rēvo, (the ORIGINAL) Suncloud, Serengeti, Persol, (the ORIGINAL) Ray Ban, etc. Even when the cost of the superior lenses is equal - sometimes even less - than the ridiculous logo on the side of the "sporteroo-fashionista" brand of the week.

People will indeed buy anything the marketing department tells them to!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I dare you to say that to RayBan's face.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uilleann's all "1v1 me Rayban, do you even lift bro?"

Daaaaang...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Why are they "the best"?

I agree that they're nice and have the kitchen sink thrown in.

Maybe the "plano sunlenses with the most standard features"?

The combination of polarized, backside AR, and mirror. My personal preference is the bi-gradient mirror (the lens 'squints' for you!). Nothing I can't make myself, but their customer service it leagues beyond someone like Oakley.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I dare you to say that to RayBan's face.
    Heh. I have done. More than once.

I happened to be working in the sun field during the beginning of the end for many of these formerly great and respectable companies. Watching their zombification into the shallow, drooling, mindlessly moaning shells of their former selves remains one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed in the industry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Uilleann's all "1v1 me Rayban, do you even lift bro?"

Daaaaang...
    I say BRING IT Lux! I'll take you on ANY day! Me and my cow: Tina
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cow2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	12916

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

I say BRING IT Lux! I'll take you on ANY day! Me and my cow: Tina

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cow2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	12916
    How come your "MOO MOTHER Tina" is a Bull with all the equipment for it ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    The combination of polarized, backside AR, and mirror. My personal preference is the bi-gradient mirror (the lens 'squints' for you!). Nothing I can't make myself, but their customer service it leagues beyond someone like Oakley.
    More than anything, ECPs short sell any branded Suns that offer patented 'color-enhancement' qualities. This is an area that most need to bone up on. A good place to start is the EnChroma website.

Costa, MJ, New RB Chromance, Prizm and EnChroma all manipulate the spectral transmission of their lens in a specific way to achieve their color/activity-enhancing goals.

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I did not work with Maui Jim so i can't tell you about them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    More than anything, ECPs short sell any branded Suns that offer patented 'color-enhancement' qualities. This is an area that most need to bone up on. A good place to start is the EnChroma website.

Costa, MJ, New RB Chromance, Prizm and EnChroma all manipulate the spectral transmission of their lens in a specific way to achieve their color/activity-enhancing goals.

B
    Have you been able to get Enchroma to furnish you with uncuts yet? I was talking with them a few years ago but they weren't able to and so I didn't follow through on them. We have had a few people come in with Enchroma lenses and they swore they helped them see colors better, but none of them were able to pass the colorblind tests from the doctors.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I recently returned my inventory. Only nine really. Sold the rest. When they required me to increase my inventory and changed my rep, I was done. They did cut me a check. Perhaps because it was only nine frames.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Have you been able to get Enchroma to furnish you with uncuts yet? I was talking with them a few years ago but they weren't able to and so I didn't follow through on them. We have had a few people come in with Enchroma lenses and they swore they helped them see colors better, but none of them were able to pass the colorblind tests from the doctors.

Not to take this too far off the OP but I also have sent in to be reviewed by Enchroma and haven't heard much back. I really want these in my store so I'd love to hear from anyone who has become an authorized dealer.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    Not to take this too far off the OP but I also have sent in to be reviewed by Enchroma and haven't heard much back. I really want these in my store so I'd love to hear from anyone who has become an authorized dealer.
    What is the name of your store?

Thread Information