Thread: Enhanced versus W2+/W3+

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Enhanced versus W2+/W3+

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Physio/Comfort Enhanced vs the Physio W3+/Comfort W2+? I've read the Enhanced versions are 100% backside freeform, but I can't find anything about the W2+/W3+ in comparison beside the marketing fluff about WAVE technology and nothing with a direct comparison or why I would use one over the other. Are the W2+/W3+ backside freeform also? Thanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Both Enhanced and W2+/W3+ are frontside molded and backside freeform generated, not 100% backside. The W2+/W3+ are replacements for the Enhanced, incremental improvement if the WAVE jargon is to be believed. The main reason to adopt them is that Enhanced will disappear and you won't have choice anyway. I have 100% switched to W2+/W3+ for all Varilux and have had zero issue (neither bettor nor worse, functionally identical as far as I'm concerned). They are identically priced as Enhanced as well.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good to know, I was questioning the 100% freeform. So the only 100% freeform Essilor lenses are the S series and the DRx verisons then?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NVEYEDR View Post
    Good to know, I was questioning the 100% freeform. So the only 100% freeform Essilor lenses are the S series and the DRx verisons then?
    Yes. Varilux claims that they deal with higher order aberrations with the wave front design of the physio in a way that couldn't be done on full backside. They may be right - they may only be avoiding Zeiss/Seiko patent fees, the lenses do FANTASTIC for me, but I only use them for about 20% of patients, they are by far some of the most easily adapted too though.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are 100% free-form, but as Dan said, not 100% backside.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Yes. Varilux claims that they deal with higher order aberrations with the wave front design of the physio in a way that couldn't be done on full backside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    In fact, because of the relatively thin nature of spectacle lenses, there isn't really much you can accomplish using two complex surfaces that you can't accomplish with one complex surface and one spherical surface. You certainly can't do much with the inherent unwanted of the progressive optics, which are basically the same regardless of the surface configuration, since the surfaces of a thin lens essentially "add" together. Further, using a lens with the progressive optics on the back will reduce skew distortion as much as, if not more than, "splitting" the optics of the lens between the two surfaces.
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ual-vs-Hoya-ID
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey man the varilux reps bring Panera sandwiches so there is that.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had this info in an email ... somewhere ... so here's a scanned copy.
    Straight from the horse's mouth!

cs
    img20160707_16535974.pdf

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Hey man the varilux reps bring Panera sandwiches so there is that.
    Nothing wrong with schmoozing as long as optical science is on the table along with the goodies.

Recently, progressive lens designers have begun paying closer attention to high-order aberrations and in some cases, even patenting progressive lens designs with reduced high-order aberrations, such as coma. Unfortunately, you cannot eliminate the high-order aberrations produced by a progressive lens surface, just as you cannot eliminate unwanted surface astigmatism. In fact, for modern progressive lens designs at least, average levels of high-order aberrations calculated globally over the central lens surface are often similar in magnitude. Nevertheless, both the low- and high-order aberrations in a progressive lens can be managed.

Although higher-order aberrations may result in a reduction in image quality and a loss of contrast, low-order aberrations generally account for the greatest impact on the quality of vision in progressive lenses. In particular, unwanted astigmatism dominates much of the lens surface. Further, in contrast to the case of low-order aberrations, clinical research has demonstrated that the high-order aberrations in progressive lenses are seldom any greater in magnitude than the inherent high-order aberrations of a typical eye.

Research has also demonstrated that the impact of high-order aberrations on visual acuity in the progressive corridor, where these aberrations are often highest, is negligible. Additionally, the caustic focus produced in the presence of small amounts of high-order aberrations may improve the wearer's depth-of-focus and tolerance to the blur caused by the second-order aberrations of the lens. In fact, aberration coupling between the high-order aberrations of the progressive lens and the high-order aberrations of the eye can sometimes yield better visual acuity than in the naked eye. Nevertheless, the high-order aberrations produced by a progressive lens will have some impact on the wearer's vision and therefore, represent a meaningful quantity to evaluate during the optical design process.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...8.00246.x/full
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My rep said the main thing different about the W lenses was the clear blue light blocker. Also said, the W lenses with the blue block won't tint, but you can order W lenses without the blue block if you need to tint them. I haven't run across anyone wanting to tint them yet, so I haven't run into that. I am fitting the W3 with no issues so far. I did have one pt who I changed back to a comfort 2 enhanced out of the W2+ because he claimed the reading was much more narrow than he was used to (worn comfort 2 enhanced for quite a while) . The switch back fixed his issue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I wouldn't consider the "S" 100% free-form personally, it has a MINUS add power on the front (yea, strange I know) that is either cast or generated. Ostensibly, this will create base down and out prism that will mitigate some spacial distortions. But it will decrease the width of the effective add, and it must contain a toxic mix of concave and convex curves that sabotage all traditional and hybrid lenses. As Edgar Tillyer noted in the 1920's, a spherical front provide superior optics.

Thread Information