Thread: HELP needed !! - Essilor Eyezen -- Power Addition & Distribution??

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave HELP needed !! - Essilor Eyezen -- Power Addition & Distribution??

Im a new optician and this is my first post on opticboard. Im sorry if this is a noob question.

Essilor Eyezen claims to have 'exclusive power distribution technology that supports eye focus effort adapted to each wearer profile'

I have patient with astigmatism (-1 spherical and -3 cylindrical on both eyes). She wants to try Eyezen for its promised benefits in 'digital' life. These things are pretty new here in India.

I have not been able to give her a proper explanation since I dont understand how this works. Appartently they add +.4D. But Essilor claims have the power 'distributed'!

Guys, I am looking forward to the insights on this! Could it be useful to, patients like mine, i.e., with astigmatism. Will such power 'distribution' have any adverse effects in the long run?

PS: I found this info from their crib sheet >
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eyezen.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	12766(http://www.essilorpro.co.uk/Lenses/lensdesigns/singlesvisions/Documents/Essilor%20Eyezen%20crib%20sheet.pdf)

Last edited by eye4detail; 06-10-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    As with other 'anti-fatigue' or 'training progressive' designs, it's probable that this lens has a design closer to a blended bifocal than a true progressive. That is to say, minimal to no intermediate. So it is likely that when their promotional material refers to 'power distribution', they are differentiating it from lenses that gain addition power by means of an actual corridor.

Could it be useful? Depends on many factors such as the patient's age, hours spent at a computer, ergonomics, lifestyle, lighting, etc... as for astigmatism itself, this lens probably does not offer any additional benefits beyond what you'd expect of any lens with asphericity/atoricity incorporated into its design (I expect Eyezen has such specifications, but you'd have to check with Essilor to confirm).

Do consult your Essilor lab for more details if need be - I'm sure they'd be happy to send someone over to give you product training if you requested for it :)

I myself have worn a pair of Eyezen - not bad at all. Smooth blend into the addition, and not too yellow thanks to the Prevencia coat. Keeps my paperwork a little less stressful, too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am also wearing the Eyezen, my previous lens was to Autograph III SV. Comparing the periphery of the two lenses, the Autograph III is slightly better, but both are better then a spherical lens. I'm assuming that pricing in India similar to pricing here since my lab told me that Essilor wanted the Eyezen priced at the same price point as an aspheric lens, which is generally less than most digital lenses.
    My recommendation would be if you simply looking for the widest vision possible go with one of the better digital lens, I recommend against the Essilor digitals strictly for this, as I found the easily usable vision in the periphery to be less then any of the lenses I tried, which would be the Zeiss Individual SV, the Shamir Autograph II and Autograph III SV, and the Hoya iD SV.
    If you are simply looking for a lens that's in the digital category and price is your primary concern then the Eyezen is a completely usable lens.
    As for the blue light blocking it's nice, but as a computer abuser (at least 12 hours a day), I've found the Eyezen to be help, but only slightly vs the Autograph III SV for eye strain. I have yet to try any of the other blue light blocking lenses to see if they are better than the Eyezen.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyOptom View Post
    Do consult your Essilor lab for more details if need be - I'm sure they'd be happy to send someone over to give you product training if you requested for it :)

I myself have worn a pair of Eyezen - not bad at all. Smooth blend into the addition, and not too yellow thanks to the Prevencia coat. Keeps my paperwork a little less stressful, too.
    Hello AndyOptom,

Thanks a lot for the insights! Yes, we are getting in touch with the Essilor guys. But I thought some insights from the opticians' perspective would be useful; in addition to Essilor's marketing 'explanations'.

Basically our optical store has not had any previous experience with Essilor - we are from a small city. Thanks to the internet, we are getting enquiries from patients regarding this and other similar computer-usage lenses. I think I should help my patients make an informed choice.

Another Question, since you have used the Eyezen personally. I found a member in another thread (http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...Eyezen-Glasses) saying this >

Quote Originally Posted by cturtle77 View Post
    If I do not wear them consistently I get a warped view at intermediate until my eyes adjust again.
    Didnt you face any such 'adjustment' issues?

Thanks!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    My recommendation would be if you simply looking for the widest vision possible go with one of the better digital lens, I recommend against the Essilor digitals strictly for this, as I found the easily usable vision in the periphery to be less then any of the lenses I tried, which would be the Zeiss Individual SV, the Shamir Autograph II and Autograph III SV, and the Hoya iD SV.
    Hello jpways,

Thanks for the great comparisons and suggestions. Will look into those options as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm wearing the EyeZen 1 + ... Remember that it has a built in blue light filter so you don't need to put prevencia or a blue blocker on its already built in. I like it, my eyes are more comfortable when I wear it, I don't love it driving at night, but I don't do a ton of that anyway. I find my halos and starbursts are much worse at night with these on than even my crappy house AR lenses. I give them a 7 out of 10.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Professional ThePinkRanger's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am also wearing the eyezen +1. A few of us in the office are. I think they are great for a "budding" presbyope. I was on the fence about them at first but like them now. I agree with the night driving comment though. I did get prevencia on them because I find it to be soothing with florescent lighting. My lab comped them anyway so why not? haha

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    I'm wearing the EyeZen 1 + ... Remember that it has a built in blue light filter so you don't need to put prevencia or a blue blocker on its already built in. I like it, my eyes are more comfortable when I wear it, I don't love it driving at night, but I don't do a ton of that anyway. I find my halos and starbursts are much worse at night with these on than even my crappy house AR lenses. I give them a 7 out of 10.

Keep in mind this is their "Smart Blue Filter" lens material. When compared on a spectrometer, the total HEV Blue % blocked is about 30-35% in the 380-440 range. However, that bumps up to about 60-65% with a blue blocking AR treatment added. It is my understanding that the newest generation of Eyezen comes with its own AR...a purplish one, that looks similar to Prevencia, but they aren't saying it's Prevencia. However, prior to that release, you could put whatever AR you wanted to on it. Just wanted to give you the heads up because, if you had ordered that particular lens, and NOT put a blue blocking AR, then you'd only be getting approximately 1/2 of the level of protection you could be getting by adding the blue AR.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Having worn actual progressives prior to starting on EyeZen, I doubt my adaptation process was as per the usual.

That said, no, I did not encounter adaptation issues such as those mentioned.

And of all my blue-coated lenses, I find my EyeZen seem to have the mildest starburst effect at night - my other blue coats were from Tokai, though.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Optix View Post
    It is my understanding that the newest generation of Eyezen comes with its own AR...a purplish one, that looks similar to Prevencia, but they aren't saying it's Prevencia. However, prior to that release, you could put whatever AR you wanted to on it.
    Hello All,

The New Eyezen+ lenses incorporate the Smart Blue Filter technology which is clear. Eyezen+ may have any anti-reflective coating added however we do recommend a Crizal product. The New Eyezen+ Lenses are a single vision design with a hint of power in the reading zone targeted to single vision patients complaining of eyestrain. The lens is available in three designs Eyezen 1 (patients age 18 to 34) Eyezen 2 (ages 35 to 44) Eyezen 3 (ages 45 to 50).
    For more information you can go to EyezenPro.com/resources.

Thread Information