Thread: Tiny white specks seen in lenses with iPhone light - what is it?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tiny white specks seen in lenses with iPhone light - what is it?

A patient of mine has complained about seeing "specks" in his new lenses (asph poly Zeiss). I couldn't see what he was referring to until I shined my iPhone flashlight towards the middle of the lenses from the outer edge of the eye wire. Throughout the lens I can see super tiny little white specks scattered randomly. Almost microscopic sized "snowflakes". I checked my own 1.67 lenses and found the same thing. I then went through almost every prescription lens I had of various materials, coatings, photochromic and clear. All displayed various amounts of these tiny "snowflakes" when viewed this way. The patient showed his previous glasses (asph poly) bought in Japan and claimed they were clear. I viewed them and they did have the snowflakes, however considerably less than any lens of mine. I confessed that I was stumped for an explanation (first time ever! lol), but I would consult the experts to see if there is a perfectly clear optical lens to be had anywhere, or if I could at least explain why there was less snow in the lenses from Japan?
    (The snowflakes clearly appeared to be inside the lenses, they were Not a surface defect or a cleanable remedy. We tried.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not been able to replicate your findings in any lenses I tested. Can you post a photo?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Avoid shining an iPhone flashlight towards the middle of the lenses from the outer edge of the eye wire and the problem will go away. You might also instruct your customer to do the same. Alternatively you can explain to the customer that it is not a lens defect but rather the action of the UV absorbing molecules protecting his eye sight from those harmful rays of sunlight. You could also refer him California Prop 65.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @DanLiv I am having difficulty right trying to get a clear picture of this, it's much harder to see than a watermark for a progressive for example. I will keep trying.
    @rbaker my purpose for my post was to get advice and recommendations for the clearest possible lenses (these were single vision by the way) in respect to materials, coatings, other factors I may not have considered. I thought maybe someone might have relevant information about differences in manufacturing methods or standards in Japan versus the United States. I wasn't trying to make the spots go away, just hoping for information that may help placate my customer.
    Last edited by IsekonicDave; 05-25-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Thread Information