Thread: Drive lens segment (ZEISS DriveSafe) - any feedback?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Drive lens segment (ZEISS DriveSafe) - any feedback?

Any experience yet (own or patients)? Especially on ZEISS DriveSafe.
    It's not new product segment and i wonder if there is a real difference if compare with modern PAL with premium AR coat.

Thanks,

AK

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ive worn single vision Drivesafe and LOVED it. I currently have Drivesafe Individual progressives being made and will report back.

I describe night driving with Drivesafe as having teenage eyes again. I can see, and I see SHARP with them on. By comparison, Individual SV with BlueProtect is good at night (I can actually function at night, which I really couldn't prior to these products).

I was very skeptical with Drivesafe, and in well lit areas, I do not have as broad and clear field of view as I do with Individual SV. Get in low light and night, though, and Drivesafe are amazing.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks a lot ThatOneGuy, and sure waiting for your experience with the progressive (what's your Rx. if i may?).

1. Interesting comment on the different experience in well lit and dark environment... not sure why in well lit the FOV should worsen. Have you tried them during the day?
    2. does the BlueProtct preform better in well lighted surrounding?

thanks again, and waiting for your further impression :-)

AK
    Last edited by amnonk; 05-24-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by amnonk View Post
    Thanks a lot ThatOneGuy, and sure waiting for your experience with the progressive (what's your Rx. if i may?).

1. Interesting comment on the different experience in well lit and dark environment... not sure why in well lit the FOV should worsen. Have you tried them in during the day?
    2. does the BlueProtct preform better in well lit surrounding?

thanks again, and waiting for your further impression :-)

AK
    The Individual takes into account frame-fit parameters so there is more optimization all the way through the lens, whereas the Drivesafe is produced to averages. When he gets the Drivesafe Individual it should be equal.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks Robert,
    i wonder if there is something else: blurred vision due to lack of optimization should occur in all light conditions not only in lighted one...maybe the total experience in low light is improved:
    advanced coating for low light make up for less optimization...
    Have you fitted them /any experience?

AK
    Last edited by amnonk; 05-24-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay...I'm in love, well sort of.

I got my Drivesafe Individual PALs with .75 add. My vision is top notch, adaptation to the PAL took me all of 20 minutes, I have wide comfortable vision (not as wide of distance in Drivesafe as in Digital), and my eyes are far more comfortable (relaxed) then when I had SV.

I am in 1.67 photofusion.

What I don't love, is the price. These things are nearly 50% more than Drivesafe PAL. That is a hard sell for me, I don't typically gawk at price if it is worth it. I sell Individual 2 all day every day without thinking twice, but the price of Individual Drivesafe PAL is really making me think twice about offering it.

That's my thoughts in a nutshell.
    Last edited by ThatOneGuy; 05-26-2016 at 03:50 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks again ThatOneGuy

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any more experience with the DriveSafe tech? I've searched here and read the three threads available and am hoping to learn what ya'll have learned.
    We have many post-cat pt's that complain of issues at night, driving and otherwise. Overall, we simply have a lot of older clients with various stages of cataracts.

Thanks
    cs
    Last edited by Sphinxsmith; 10-05-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Searched here already

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drivesafe is what your patients need.

They are the best product on the market for addressing the issue of night driving. Period.

Not one person has been disappointed in the product. Just don't over promise if they have developed cataracts (such as if they refuse surgery despite the advancement of cataracts).

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks ThatOneGuy! (there's always that one guy)
    I have the white paper on the product but can you share any nuances you've learned from working with it? Do's and Dont's

cs

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    Thanks ThatOneGuy! (there's always that one guy)
    I have the white paper on the product but can you share any nuances you've learned from working with it? Do's and Dont's

cs
    Do put older patients in it. They will really appreciate the improved quality of vision.

Don't assume the wow factor when the patient picks up the glasses in the office. The wow comes at night, in the rain, or other low light conditions. In the office, they will mostly notice only the Rx change, not the major improvements.

Do make sure you have accurate measurements. As with all Zeiss lenses, they are unforgiving if you don't have them measured correctly.

Don't assume you have fit them properly. There is a difference between Drivesafe PAL and Drivesafe Individual PAL. Aside from customization parameters, the location of the fitting cross is different.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you ThatOneGuy!
    Now for a test subject ... err... patient.

cs

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just received my drivesafe and I am not impressed with the reflective properties of the duravision ar...did I get a bad coating? It's supposed to be a arctic blue but the lights are white with a very slight blue outline?? Vision in the lense is just fine...not worth the large price difference from my intouch...my script is Plano with a 1.75 add for what it's worth..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    Okay...I'm in love, well sort of.

I got my Drivesafe Individual PALs with .75 add. My vision is top notch, adaptation to the PAL took me all of 20 minutes, I have wide comfortable vision (not as wide of distance in Drivesafe as in Digital), and my eyes are far more comfortable (relaxed) then when I had SV.

I am in 1.67 photofusion.

What I don't love, is the price. These things are nearly 50% more than Drivesafe PAL. That is a hard sell for me, I don't typically gawk at price if it is worth it. I sell Individual 2 all day every day without thinking twice, but the price of Individual Drivesafe PAL is really making me think twice about offering it.

That's my thoughts in a nutshell.

You can kill a sale or encourage a sale based on your inhibitions of value.
    Last edited by idispense; 11-07-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Thread Information