Thread: slab off prism

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist

slab off prism

patient with OD +1.75 -3.75 x 085
    OS +0.50 -0.75 x 096 /+1.50 ADD OU

would you RX. slab off prism given the differences in spherical powers and astigmatic powers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you baiting us just for amusement? Or are "Dr." and "Optometrist" a slight exaggeration? I can't yet tell.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll play.

The power disparity at ninety degrees is about 1.25 D. If the reading depth is 10mm, the vertical prism imbalance at the near point will be 1.25∆. Assuming healthy eyes, the fusional reserves for a forty something client should be sufficient to provide comfortable near vision with a multifocal, although prolonged near tasks may result in asthenopia, easily remedied by SVRO or a Slab.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    I'll play.

The power disparity at ninety degrees is about 1.25 D. If the reading depth is 10mm, the vertical prism imbalance at the near point will be 1.25∆. Assuming healthy eyes, the fusional reserves for a forty something client should be sufficient to provide comfortable near vision with a multifocal, although prolonged near tasks may result in asthenopia, easily remedied by SVRO or a Slab.
    God bless you, Robert...you can make even a manipulative thread educational and engaging. What would you say of the risk of aniseikonia in this Rx?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    God bless you, Robert...you can make even a manipulative thread educational and engaging. What would you say of the risk of aniseikonia in this Rx?
    Not answering for Robert, I'd like his opinion too, but the spherical equivalent of both eye are +.12 OU. So low probability, even on horizontal the difference is only around-1.75. Minification difference is only a touch over 2%. Not a candidate for Iseikonic lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Not answering for Robert, I'd like his opinion too, but the spherical equivalent of both eye are +.12 OU. So low probability, even on horizontal the difference is only around-1.75. Minification difference is only a touch over 2%. Not a candidate for Iseikonic lenses.
    I was betting that was the case, though had the axes been perpendicular it might have gotten more interesting.

Thank you for the quantification! I'd be interested in how to calculate that, if anyone can point me to the equation (without doing as much googling as I would have to.) Is it just a matter of plotting size differentials to create an ellipse & seeing where it pokes above 3%?

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Are you baiting us just for amusement? Or are "Dr." and "Optometrist" a slight exaggeration? I can't yet tell.

What do you mean? Explain yourself please.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. EN View Post
    What do you mean? Explain yourself please.
    Dr EN, Without being rude, it's impossible to give you credit for engaging this message board honestly. Your question itself is benign and possibly educational to those following along. So would, say, wondering if antibiotics would be helpful treating the flu on a medical message board.

However, such a question we can be sure wouldn't be posted by a doctor. Or if a doctor, one up to a little mischief. In either case, your first post here on Optiboard begs clarification of your professional status and/or your intentions.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Antibiotics to treat the flu is a pretty obvious question. You obviously did not understand the question initially posed. Would we say that you're benign response of what is the possible risk of aniseikonia be up to a little mischief as well? Or are you entitled to your questions while others are not? Either way, you can see yourself out of this conversation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Antibiotics to treat the flu is a pretty obvious question. You obviously did not understand the question initially posed. Would we say that you're benign response of what is the possible risk of aniseikonia be up to a little mischief as well? Or are you entitled to your questions while others are not? Either way, you can see yourself out of this conversation.
    Obvious indeed!

Since I don't claim to be a doctor--my ignorance regarding aniseikonia should be much more plausible than yours regarding the propriety of a slab-off.

If you feel my participation on this thread is disruptive, by all mean report me to the moderators so they can examine this conversation.

I did happen to notice you haven't responded to my questions. Are you actually an optometrist, Dr EN, as your profile indicates?

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't respond to people like you. You're only goal in life is to try to denigrate others because of your insecurity. Live and let live is what I say. Perhaps you should keep on guessing.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    "Antibiotics are medications that fight infections caused by bacteria, but the flu is cause by a virus. Taking antibiotics when you have a virus may do more harm than good. Taking antibiotics when they are not needed increases your risk of getting an infection later that may resist antibiotic treatment." -Web MD

Sorry but I couldn't resist. Not a doctor- just a fact I had picked up some time ago.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    HAHAHAHA. I love the fact that you can't stop writing.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think its time we stop feeding the troll masquerading as an optometrist.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What a non productive optiboard discussion with a couple of losers. All based on a legitimate question. The only troll here is you newguyaroundhere. You are not only stupid and ignorant but also wasting my time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What a non productive optiboard discussion with a couple of losers. All based on a legitimate question. The only troll here is you newguyaroundhere. You are not only stupid and ignorant but also wasting my time.
    Pot calling the kettle black. That's nice
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quick vote:

A) Naive Dr. looking for honest advice.

B) Leary consumer who was possibly overcharged
    or offered slab off for whatever reason.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    Quick vote:

A) Nieve Dr. looking for honest advice.

B) Leary consumer who was possibly overcharged
    or offered slab off for whatever reason.
    B. Between his posts, his flat out refusal to identify his credentials, the name calling and his own group he created on here "Doctors of Optmetry" all cry consumer

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Thread closed.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information