Thread: Have to order W3/S design lenses in pairs??

OptiBoard Apprentice SoopaTroopa's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Have to order W3/S design lenses in pairs??

I try to dabble in the latest technologies when I can as my boss gives me great leeway to do so. We started fitting the new W2/3+ and tried a few S designs along the way. Lens performance aside, we've run into a weird issue lately with the S and the W3. I have a few patients who are either trying to just change script in one lens, or use the crizal warranty for one lens, but I'm being told that these lenses need to be ordered in pairs due to the "binocular booster" tech. I am almost POSITIVE I've ordered S design lenses singly in the past. I've never worked in surfacing, but I am pretty sure the lenses aren't being made simultaneously and I cannot figure out why they can't just make one lens as long as they have the other eye RX for reference. Quite understandably, my patient is rather angry at the fact that they have to change a perfectly good lens (and pay for it) when they only need one changed from cataract surgery. It's also unfair to tell this person to just wait until the other eye is done in 3+ months and make do until they can switch both lenses. Has anyone else run into this?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stick to your guns, Soop. Yes, they need you to give them the Rx of both lenses so the compensated Rx can be computed as advertized, but they don't actually HAVE to surface both lenses.

Having said that, I'd try to push off the remake until both eyes are post-cataract if the surgeries are almost back-to-back.

OptiBoard Apprentice SoopaTroopa's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Stick to your guns, Soop. Yes, they need you to give them the Rx of both lenses so the compensated Rx can be computed as advertized, but they don't actually HAVE to surface both lenses.

Having said that, I'd try to push off the remake until both eyes are post-cataract if the surgeries are almost back-to-back.
    So they CAN just make one lens. I figured I wasn't crazy, but they are out and out refusing. I brought up giving them the rx for reference and was met with a lot of hemming and hawing about binocular boosts! and technology! and PROPRIETARY PATENTS!

I agree on the cataract patient, however, I have other patients who will only need one lens for one reason or another that i've been stalling on until I could get a straight answer out of them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SoopaTroopa View Post
    So they CAN just make one lens. I figured I wasn't crazy, but they are out and out refusing. I brought up giving them the rx for reference and was met with a lot of hemming and hawing about binocular boosts! and technology! and PROPRIETARY PATENTS!

I agree on the cataract patient, however, I have other patients who will only need one lens for one reason or another that i've been stalling on until I could get a straight answer out of them.
    For new lenses where the original mate isn't already an 'S' or 'W3+', I can see them taking issue. But if you're just trying to warranty a single lens of an existing 'S' or 'W3+' lens pair, yeah that just doesn't fly.

I'd take this issue straight to your Varilux lens rep. Assuming he tells you what you want to hear, try your lab's manager and explain it to them slowly---if they're still confused, I'd start chatting with other lab reps.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wrong thread. Hayde is right btw! lol

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this an Essilor issue, or a local lab issue?. Meaning does ESSILOR S series tech/specs say must be fabricated with both lens edged, or is it a procedure your local lab is saying must be done? I am more interested in ESSILOR side than anything. Have had Essilor reps pushing their Essilor Experts program on me. So far not impressed by way of the 'fine print' of program. So was just curious if I can add this issue to the growing list of why I am leaning toward Not participating.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only when the pt has never gotten that type of lens before. If they are post op, and want to change lens designs they will only do them in pairs. They also just started with the smart blue filter not that long ago and that may be a reason for them to not want to do one lens only as well if they don't have any semi finished w/out the SBF, just a thought.

[QUOTE=SoopaTroopa;524072]I try to dabble in the latest technologies when I can as my boss gives me great leeway to do so. We started fitting the new W2/3+ and tried a few S designs along the way. Lens performance aside, we've run into a weird issue lately with the S and the W3. I have a few patients who are either trying to just change script in one lens, or use the crizal warranty for one lens, but I'm being told that these lenses need to be ordered in pairs due to the "binocular booster" tech. I am almost POSITIVE I've ordered S design lenses singly in the past. I've never worked in surfacing, but I am pretty sure the lenses aren't being made simultaneously and I cannot figure out why they can't just make one lens as long as they have the other eye RX for reference. Quite understandably, my patient is rather angry at the fact that they have to change a perfectly good lens (and pay for it) when they only need one changed from cataract surgery. It's also unfair to tell this person to just wait until the other eye is done in 3+ months and make do until they can switch both lenses. Has anyone else run into this?
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Thread Information