Thread: 1.67 hi index

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

1.67 hi index

I sold a pair of hi index lenses to a parent for a child that is 12.
    I'm sure there are gasps in the three but the prescription is a high plus and I have had no problems dispensing the material to children that parent demanded the material.
    My question is . Is this becoming a trend? I have heard opticians say that they're not selling poly and hi index 1.67 is safe enough with high plus.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know about not selling poly...it's still very popular here and I feel it will prob be for a long time. I know we should only do poly or trivex for kids, but there is a point when the kid is no longer a little kid and understands what impact resistance means and is fine with 1.67. My opinion is that it depends on the patient.... I have some adults that I still would only recommend poly or trivex regardless of the RX. We all know that kid that comes in and is older and the glasses from last year are still in perfect condition... yup, I would give them a pass to graduate to 1.67 as needed. I make sure to explain everything to the parent and kid first. That's my own person opinion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.67 is plenty safe for a kid............Until there is an injury from lens failure, then the lawyers will have a field day noting that you did not provide the "industry standard" for lens safety.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see a problem with even CR39. I've seen it impacted so hard it broke the frame and not the lenses. A (legal) problem occurs *if* there is a lens failure while a child wears it. You could be sued even if you did make them out of poly or trivex, it's just that you would have a better chance winning the suit if you use industry norms.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always had no qualms selling HI 1.67 for high plus kids, as I wore glass lenses as a child. About a month ago I had a pretty chilling scratch warranty. One of my young boy patients came in with a damaged polycarbonate lens. I guess he was playing and somehow hit the edge of a glass table corner with the center of his right eye. Thankfully his polycarbonate lens took the beating instead of him losing an eye. I've never seen a gouge that deep in a pair of glasses, but it was enough to shake me up. Heck it made me think all kids should wear safety glasses.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Thread Information