Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who offers glass lenses still?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Who offers glass lenses still?

I have seen some nice offerings in glass and wondered why my store does not sell any! We are supposed to offer the clients what they want but we neglect that choice; time to see who offers still and why it is a success.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do glass lenses upon request (which is rare). While we don't promote glass lenses, we certainly won't deny them either. I personally am not a fan for a few reasons. Weight is one and flaking is another. Also, we do a lot of drill and groove mounts (which we will refuse to do in a glass lens)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do quite a few! In our small town we have a large Amish population. They love glass photo gray and we love that they are private pay! In 15 years I have only had 2 break...both were dropped from significant heights.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Whenever any new product is introduced to a marketplace you must show the consumer how it is "new" and "improved" and "state of the art" or else they wont buy it. But first you must convince the retailers who will sell the product why it is in their economic interest to switch from the "old" product that they have been successfully using for generations.

In the late sixties when plastic lenses were first introduced in the US the big marketing push was their lighter weight and impact resistance. This "lighter" and "safer" mantra was incessantly hammered into the heads of the optician until today the word "glass" conjures up images of little blind children running around bumping into walls and savage lawyers beating you over the head with lawsuits. Of course, the issue of the reduced optical characteristics and decreased abrasion resistance was not mentioned.

I too wonder why it is so difficult to get a pair of glass lenses today. A glass lens sure makes sense in a pair of half eyes or reading glasses. While wearing a pair of glasses that don't "weigh a ton" (an oft used phrase) most folks are not troubled by the weight of their eyewear and the improved visual acuity and durability might be a welcomed feature to their new glasses.

Each lens material that is available to us today has its own unique characteristics and when the proper lens is used we usually end up with a happy customer. It is , therefore, incumbent on the eye care professional to learn the physical characteristics of ophthalmic lenses and avoid "marketing" jargon and "advertising."

As an aside, this phenomenon was accompanied by the elimination of frame sizes. Remember when you could get a given frame with a 16, 18, 20, 22 or 24 bridge?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We do upon patient request. Glass labs, however, are getting harder and harder to find.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We do upon patient request. Glass labs, however, are getting harder and harder to find.
    That is part of the major issue; when LenSync becomes available we will offer a complete glass offering while showing the weight difference. I have not sold a glass lens in 10 years and probably should put it on my website and see if there are any requests or inquiries.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Glass labs, however, are getting harder and harder to find.
    Really? Our lab can do anything. I know that there isn't much glass sold anymore and availability is limited in some lens styles, but I didn't think it was hard to find a lab that does them. Interesting.

Occupation
    Used to be, back in the day, we told the supply chain what we wanted and the provided it. Today, the supply chain tells us what they will supply and we are expected to sell it.

It's supply and demand bass ackwards !

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper They have to be surfaced all the way and will become a luxury item..................

Glass lenses can not be made in stock lenses or semi finished blanks by pouring the monomer into a mold and heating them up for while and they are done.

They have to be surfaced all the way and will become a luxury item..

However they are hard to scratch and will not go dull with normal use and cleaning. So far I have not seen any glass lenses advertised and sold by our online optical's at el cheapo prices.

In the seventies plastic was more expensive than glass..............today it can be the other way around.

Why not go for a deja vue higher class luxury.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Why not go for a deja vue higher class luxury.
    interesting point

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We sell glass lenses on occasion here, usually by patient request.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An often overlooked product is Thin & Dark glass PGX, surfaced to about 1.5mm, for a weight reduction of 25% to 30% for the lower powers, and a thickness reduction of .5mm to .7mm, compared to standard PGX. Available in SV, ST 28 and ST 7x28, gray only. PGX is activated somewhat by visible light hence some darkening behind windshields.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We offer glass lenses to those that request it. I have seen some beautiful glass lenses that are made using high-index. I am not well versed on the availability of high index glass and as a result feel unconfident using it. Can someone enlighten me?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no problem selling glass lenses as long as the patient really wants them. I would like to see through a pair of my own one day, but they are so durn heavy I don't think I'd enjoy it.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do. It's rare when someone asks for it though.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I have no problem selling glass lenses as long as the patient really wants them. I would like to see through a pair of my own one day, but they are so durn heavy I don't think I'd enjoy it.
    Clearly a case of "contempt prior to investigation." Just how can you be so certain that they would be "so durn heavy." With a proper frame you would probably love them. Crank out a pair, wear them for a week and then let us know what you think.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's funny how we don't use glass for rx's, but the very best sunglasses are all glass.
    As Ralph Drew said...real glasses are made of glass.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Clearly a case of "contempt prior to investigation." Just how can you be so certain that they would be "so durn heavy." With a proper frame you would probably love them. Crank out a pair, wear them for a week and then let us know what you think.
    They are heavy as I hold them in my hands, I meant. I figured this would translate to the nose also but who knows.

Maybe I will one day, I would love to see out of crown glass.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    It's funny how we don't use glass for rx's, but the very best sunglasses are all glass.
    As Ralph Drew said...real glasses are made of glass.
    The very best sunglasses are all plano too!

If it wasn't for thinness and weight I would probably sell more crown glass than anything else.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Talk to Barry, Apparently and upcoming new niche of his.

After Astronomy, Music, Telescope building, Santinelli R&D (Maybe R, No D) and CE Lectures.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I have seen some nice offerings in glass and wondered why my store does not sell any! We are supposed to offer the clients what they want but we neglect that choice; time to see who offers still and why it is a success.
    Yep, FF designs on about 95% or more and I offer Vuarnet RX. Outstanding optics, doesn't scratch easily, and you can beat em with a framing hammer and they won't break. Not for everyone however, I turned down a 1200.00 order because the cat was amblyopic.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Used to be, back in the day, we told the supply chain what we wanted and the provided it. Today, the supply chain tells us what they will supply and we are expected to sell it. It's supply and demand bass ackwards !
    Yeah, I am not happy about this in most industries. I have no idea how the power dynamic got reversed.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Talk to Barry, Apparently and upcoming new niche of his.

After Astronomy, Music, Telescope building, Santinelli R&D (Maybe R, No D) and CE Lectures.
    You are a pisser, Ibrahim!!

Yes, I've turned to a renewed focus on glass. The main problem is not getting the lenses. Plenty of supply and new types around.

But the majority of frames are unsuitable to proper marrying to glass lenses.

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    You are a pisser, Ibrahim!!

Yes, I've turned to a renewed focus on glass. The main problem is not getting the lenses. Plenty of supply and new types around.

But the majority of frames are unsuitable to proper marrying to glass lenses.

Barry
    Would you do that -21.00D in hi-index glass with thinning?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

Would you do that -21.00D in hi-index glass with thinning?
    We used to do them in a Cruxite A, (pink) or clear, regular crown glass, but in a lenticular shape in the days of glass.

Thread Information