Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oakley buy in pretty steep

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oakley buy in pretty steep

We are looking to add Oakley but their minimum buy in is 60 frames. We are wondering if it's worth it?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutely!!!

B

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it is quite high but since it is very well known I'd say it's worth it. I wish we carried it. I would have made alot more sales if we had it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was wondering the same thing when I was in the sporting goods shop when I saw Oakley, Nike, and UnderArmor sunglasses under glass. I wonder what minimum they needed to get started? They had maybe twelve of each on hand. Must not be too picky with the sporting goods stores.

Just us.

Because they care so much about their image.

They may even need to take a photo of your office.

And you have to buy 60 to "properly represent the line".

You have to figure this out, rd.

1. It's a sales job on you.

2. You would want to turn that crap pretty quickly, especially plano sunwear. Can you turn 30 frames in 6 months to get back to even and then sell the second half of the frames in the next 6 months, for a 25% ROI? Because it's like putting your cash into zero percent yield investments, if you don't.

3. I don't think Toledo, OH is the Outer Banks or the Florida coast. You are more likely to need to Rx your sunwear.

4. How do these Rx programs for Maui and Oakley work out for us? I remember sky-high retail prices to patients and exorbitant lab fees, yet way smaller than normal margins on Rx programs, despite the extra technical ability it takes to Rx sunwear.

5. Oh, don't worry, though! VSP Choice Lab and the EyeMed labs are really, really, great to you, and know their stuff about wrap sunwear. Right? Right?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    5. Oh, don't worry, though! VSP Choice Lab and the EyeMed labs are really, really, great to you, and know their stuff about wrap sunwear. Right? Right?
    I believe they set you up with the Oakley lab when you open an account with them. So you don't have to use VSP labs even for Choice plans.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other thing to find out before you pick up the line is what the exchange rate is. The reason I bring it up is that one of my reps (not Luxottica) said that for some of her other offices with Luxottica lines (don't know if it was Oakley or not) the exchange rate is as high as 7:1.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rdcoach5,
    drk pretty much summed it up! But before all of that, look at your surroundings, where your office is located, the people who are in your community, your patient base. 60 frame is a huge investment to rely on what if's. You must maintain 60 pieces. if you sell 15-25 pcs and they sit for 6 months, can you afford that amount of $$$ just sitting starring at you? I have worked and lived on both coasts of the USA and many in between, even in the "sunshine states" people are more likely to walk in and purchase plano suns from big box/retail, not small adventurous optical establishments.
    Good Luck on your your decision.
    Ghost Rider
    Ghost Rider

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It certainly wouldn't be worth it to me!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It looks like we are going to add Oakley ! Thanks for feed back

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've worked in high end clinics that sold Oakley's. My patients didn't enjoy spending that much money and not having a scratch warranty. I've copied this from Oakley:

Oakley's warranty program does not cover scratched lenses. Additionally, any alterations of Oakley products (i.e. sunglasses fit with non-Oakley prescription lenses) will void warranty coverage. For all prescription warranty claims, please contact the Authorized Oakley Dealer from which your purchase was made.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    It looks like we are going to add Oakley ! Thanks for feed back
    What's the strategy?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    I believe they set you up with the Oakley lab when you open an account with them. So you don't have to use VSP labs even for Choice plans.
    Interesting if true, but it strains credulity. There's just not enough money in the system for that, unless the patient pays it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I've worked in high end clinics that sold Oakley's. My patients didn't enjoy spending that much money and not having a scratch warranty. I've copied this from Oakley:

Oakley's warranty program does not cover scratched lenses. Additionally, any alterations of Oakley products (i.e. sunglasses fit with non-Oakley prescription lenses) will void warranty coverage. For all prescription warranty claims, please contact the Authorized Oakley Dealer from which your purchase was made.
    That's for plano suns. Rxs get 1 time within 1 year for scratches.

B

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless you plan on doing a ton of plano sun, I don't know if it's worth it. The Rx program is expensive and you can get better product for comparable pricing (Maui). 60 pieces is alot, I would try and see if you can buy in for less, maybe mix in a few opthalmic? Also, now that Oakley has paired with Lux, I find them EXTREMELY unreliable when it comes to getting frames, or Rx jobs. The customer service isn't what it should be. It's tough when you put an Rx order through and are unsure whether it will come in 2 weeks or 2 months. Not worth the headache IMHO.

Good luck!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's been a couple of years since my Oakley buy-in, but it was 30 ophthalmics and 30 suns. The suns didn't really move for us at all, which I knew they wouldn't, but the ophthalmics flew off the shelves. So many Chamfers. My rep let me exchange several suns for ophthalmics with each visit, so that a year later it was closer to 45/15 than 30/30.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We do quite well with the ophthalmics, we put our stock lenses in them for SV and whatever we please from our labs for other needs. We even do our own lenses in the suns. I'm not what one would call an Oakley "guy" but I wear the Tincup Carbon and love the combination of titanium and carbon fibre and the cam-lock temples.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My office carries both the opthalmics and plano suns and we sell quite a bit of both but that probably has more to do with being a primarily military client base. (They simply love oakleys)
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think the product is great, especially the ophthalmics. But it's niche. 24 piece buy in would be fair.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin.B View Post
    My office carries both the opthalmics and plano suns and we sell quite a bit of both but that probably has more to do with being a primarily military client base. (They simply love oakleys)
    Oakley used to give military discounts for their products. Not sure if they still have that program or not
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We do quite well with the ophthalmics, we put our stock lenses in them for SV and whatever we please from our labs for other needs. We even do our own lenses in the suns. I'm not what one would call an Oakley "guy" but I wear the Tincup Carbon and love the combination of titanium and carbon fibre and the cam-lock temples.
    Be aware, and make sure your patients know, that putting non-Oakley lenses in the Oakley suns voids their frame warranty.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Oakley used to give military discounts for their products. Not sure if they still have that program or not
    Yes they do still give it. Active Military and Police can get them from a special website that sells at barely above wholesale.

Maybe I will give another look to oakley... its been a long time since I have worked with them but I was far from impressed with the style of their opthalmics and all the guys at Ft. Dietrick can get them from the PX or Oakley at much cheaper than I could sell them. Maybe I'll have a rep come in at some point...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonlef View Post
    Unless you plan on doing a ton of plano sun, I don't know if it's worth it. The Rx program is expensive and you can get better product for comparable pricing (Maui). 60 pieces is alot, I would try and see if you can buy in for less, maybe mix in a few opthalmic? Also, now that Oakley has paired with Lux, I find them EXTREMELY unreliable when it comes to getting frames, or Rx jobs. The customer service isn't what it should be. It's tough when you put an Rx order through and are unsure whether it will come in 2 weeks or 2 months. Not worth the headache IMHO.

Good luck!
    I have so completely a different experience. Just rec'd the new Oakley True Digital II, with Edge II contour, in progressive, in 3 days. Lenses are beyond perfect!

B

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just added the line to 4 of our offices, and they were very lax. We put the 60 pcs in the first office, and them bought another 100 to spread among the others. Not much of an investment, if comparing them with other branded products. They've been in place about 2 months, and are selling well.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I have so completely a different experience. Just rec'd the new Oakley True Digital II, with Edge II contour, in progressive, in 3 days. Lenses are beyond perfect!

B

I guess the American lab is wayy ahead of us here in Canada

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post

Lol....be careful

Thread Information