Thread: What daily cleaning maintenance do you do on your edgers?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

What daily cleaning maintenance do you do on your edgers?

Just bought a used Santinelli 9000. This edger has been very well maintained and I would like to do whatever it takes to keep it that way. I heard that you should spray the inside of the edger after every day with a spray bottle. However, the Santinelli website claims to be careful not to get water into the upper and side seals of the "lens carriage". Could anyone explain what that means? Also, do you use a toothbrush or any other brush to clean the inside? I've heard that one should not touch the wheels with brushes. Do you clean the tracer? Lubricate any parts on an ongoing basis? Any advice is appreciated.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Keep the lid open at night. The moister can get trapped and force its way into the spindle bearings.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use a spray bottle and a tooth brush on the sides. Close the door on the tracer when not in use to keep dust to a minimum. I dress the wheels as needed. If needed Santinelli has a video on how to properly dress the wheels. We also were told to keep the door on the edging compartment open. They also recommended that we vacuum the inside once a month.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Watty, I have a question about the spray bottle. One of the Santinelli manuals that I read gave an "Important Caution" that you should not spray water into the side and top seals of the "lens carriage" compartment. I'm not sure what this means. Do you spray water around the wheels, the nozzles, the base of the machine where the junk accumulates and also on the sides of the walls? I can't really understand their warning but feel that it may be important.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=ilanh;521817] The bottle I use has one hole and I don't use it on the top by the seal. Just toward the bottom.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as daily cleaning on my 9000sx I clean the wheels with a brass bristle brush in wheel dressing mode if I've been cutting a lot of trivex ( I do not have those trivex wheels with the holes, just regular PHB set up). I leave the lid open to the grinding chamber and always keep the tracer closed. I try to pick up dust I see settle in the tracer unit using my thumb or a piece of scotch tape. I have cheap plastic children's artist paint brushes, I use those to get the trivex and poly off of the LMU arm and away from the part that enters the mechanical housing.

Thats it. I keep it running, mostly keep the swarf and dust build up away. Once in a while I will vacuum out the whole thing, but make sure to get a wrist strap to stay grounded.

It is a workhorse and gives great polish on some materials and a fantastic sand blown nonpolish finish on all materials, especially trivex.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We spray ours out with a hose at the end of the day and leave the lid to the cutting chamber open. Other then the standard maintenance we haven't had any issues with either of our 9000s.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I operate a NOP 7EX (dry cut) so the only comparable thing I do maintenence wise is every morning clean my brass polishing wheels with a brass bristle brush. The entire machine is vacuumed out every evening.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Thread Information