Thread: Those of us who need prescription eyewear need prescription eyewear.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Those of us who need prescription eyewear need prescription eyewear.

ECONOMY
    Why the Eyewear Industry Is An Incredible Rip-Off
    Here are some alternatives to avoid getting fleeced.

By Anneli Rufus / AlterNet

Those of us who need prescription eyewear need prescription eyewear. Are you wearing yours to read this? Imagine if you weren't. Imagine life without your glasses for a year, a week, an hour. Yet many health insurance plans, especially for the unemployed or self-employed, don't cover them.

Mine doesn't.

I recently went shopping for no-line progressive bifocals in small oval metal frames. Name brands mean nothing to me. Price does. My high astigmatism and need for bifocals disqualify me from those buy-one-get-one-free deals, which almost always involve only single-vision specs.

In store after store, megachains and optical boutiques alike, small oval metal frames fitted with lenses matching my prescription started at $300. One popular shop quoted me $582 for the lenses alone.

I bought a pair of no-line progressive bifocals in small oval metal frames for $44 online. I'm wearing them right now.PrinThose of us who need prescription eyewear need prescription eyewear. Are you wearing yours to read this? Imagine if you weren't. Imagine life without your glasses for a year, a week, an hour. Yet many health insurance plans, especially for the unemployed or self-employed, don't cover them.

See all of it:

http://www.alternet.org/economy/why-...incredible-rip

What do you say ?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This individual will never know how good eyewear can be, not having experienced
    a great digital prog with great ar,precisely fit....
    with a prog style selected especially for his particular needs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    +1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My answer, which I use everyday when asked the "same" thing from clients old and new:

It may appear to be the same products in many cases, and in some it is.

But it's not including the same services (which I then outline).

They're adequate glasses, for less money. If that's your primary consideration or all the you can afford, I'm glad this option is available for you.

If you desire better,or perhaps the best, that's why skilled professionals and craftsman continue to thrive today.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 03-04-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    I think his statement indicates that he cannot afford to experience it. But he did get Rx glasses...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    My answer, which I use everyday when asked the "same" thing from clients old and new:

But it's not including the same services (when I then outline).

They're adequate glasses, for less money. If that's your primary consideration or all the you can afford, I'm glad this option is available for you.

If you desire better,or perhaps the best, that's why skilled professionals and craftsman continue to thrive today.

B
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

But it's not including the same services (when I then outline).

B
    You had me at, adequate.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No matter what we do as eye care professionals there are still going to be people out there that have the mindset of the article writer. We can just keep providing exceptional service and hopefully more people wont keep thinking like she does.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    You had me at, adequate.
    Exactly! A pair of readers will be adequate for some, but once they truly get fitted with a proper pair on center etc, then they will "see" the difference it makes in paying for a specific service. There will always be the nay-sayers.....
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry that brought a tear to my eye.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    When confronted by someone who has no intention of paying more than $100 for a bifocal, I say "There's the door over there, and if you get what you want, my fee to adjust them is $25 in advance with no guarantee it will work or that it won't break. B-bye."

Don't waste your time, for every one of those, there's 20 who have insurance or who will pay a decent fee. Oh and if they tarry, I point south and say "there's a stanton optical about 10 miles that way. good luck with that"

Occupation

Blue Jumper They have been made according to the order and not more.............................

On-line glasses can also be made in the nearest to your location. in one of the large optical corporation owned labs, to save on delivery cost.

They have been made according to the order and not more.

As Barry says. without the service. So what is holding you back from selling your service ? Opticianry is a service industry. If they pay your price, service is included, if not the will have to pay for it. Why not participate and make some money with your fingertips ?
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-06-2016 at 03:25 AM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    On-line glasses can also be made in the nearest to your location. in one of the large optical corporation owned labs, to save on delivery cost.

They have been made according to the order and not more.

As Barry says. without the service. So what is holding you back from selling you service ? Opticianry is a service industry. If the pay your price, service is included if not the will have to pay for it. Why not participate and make some money with your fingertips ?
    Exactly, and that is why when I get my on line store up and running I will be enclosing a $25 coupon for local dispensers that are outside my area. I will instruct buyers to find a local shop to get their adjustments, and if the dispenser returns the coupon to me, I'll send them a check. Now I do expect those purists who will never accept a 3rd party payment to toss it in the trash, but most will probably play the game.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    Exactly, and that is why when I get my on line store up and running I will be enclosing a $25 coupon for local dispensers that are outside my area. I will instruct buyers to find a local shop to get their adjustments, and if the dispenser returns the coupon to me, I'll send them a check. Now I do expect those purists who will never accept a 3rd party payment to toss it in the trash, but most will probably play the game.
    If you get 10 of these a day in your office do you make money or lose on every one of them? I maintain you lose money on $25 and you don't even realize it.
    That is why taking insurance is acceptable for most in the industry; we are used to paying for someone else to send us a customer and tell us what we can sell and for how much!

We charge $50 extra just for bringing me an internet frame for lenses and certainly don;t want your $25 token. We charge $15-25 for repairs and adjustments that gets donated to charity.

Your business model makes the optical the charity!

Not a good for-profit model as far as I can tell.

Craig- win/win means make money on every transaction.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

B
    Hence why consumers have so many choices and options today. The cheapest brand new car available on the market today is around $12,000, yet the dealer only stocks one or two and they sit forever while the higher price models fly off the lot.

Perhaps this consumer is poor or just downright frugal? Thankfully, these types of consumers are a very small percentage or the entire global market of everything would be dead.

I say sell sell sell!!! Give consumers fantastic quality options and service and they will always see the value in paying more. As for the optical stores out there that provide crappy service and products, over charge and shank consumers daily (and there's many), your day will come where the lights get turned off forever.

Barry is proof that dedicated service oriented professionals can thrive and that consumers will pay more, because of what they get in return. Price should never be first on the list. Keep up the good work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    When confronted by someone who has no intention of paying more than $100 for a bifocal, I say "There's the door over there, and if you get what you want, my fee to adjust them is $25 in advance with no guarantee it will work or that it won't break. B-bye."

Don't waste your time, for every one of those, there's 20 who have insurance or who will pay a decent fee. Oh and if they tarry, I point south and say "there's a stanton optical about 10 miles that way. good luck with that"
    Instead of such a harsh method, why don't you try to convert and up sell and explain to them that $100 glasses will only last them a few months and yours will last many years? Explain the level of service and warranty you provide for a little bit more is worth every penny?

Or have a board of 25 low end frames that are decent quality and fashionable for $20-30 each? Heck, there's always options out there to save the sale. I could make you a pair of free form PALS with hard dip coat in a frame for $40, so pocketing $60 is still a 60% profit margin which is pretty decent.

Shoeing people out the door without even trying will certainly won't get you a stellar local business reputation. Not every sale comes easy - some days one has to really try harder and earn it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What you're looking for is your customers saying:

"That's why we wouldn't think of going anywhere else!"

This is the gold standard defining your added value and your brand.

Do whatever you have to to get it.

And be sure to thank them when they say it.

Barry

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Instead of such a harsh method, why don't you try to convert and up sell and explain to them that $100 glasses will only last them a few months and yours will last many years? Explain the level of service and warranty you provide for a little bit more is worth every penny?

Or have a board of 25 low end frames that are decent quality and fashionable for $20-30 each? Heck, there's always options out there to save the sale. I could make you a pair of free form PALS with hard dip coat in a frame for $40, so pocketing $60 is still a 60% profit margin which is pretty decent.

Shoeing people out the door without even trying will certainly won't get you a stellar local business reputation. Not every sale comes easy - some days one has to really try harder and earn it.
    fortunately I'm too busy to waste time doing low end work. And my office is just too small to handle much more volume. The frame area and my staff can't accommodate more than 3 couples at a time. So I'd rather spend my time with people who will spend 500 or 1000 at a time. It is harsh but it's also simple math.

Oh and I can't lie and promise how long anything will last from me or from anywhere. I've had silhouettes break in a week and seen plenty of junk frames last forever, like safety frames for example
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 03-06-2016 at 10:51 AM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    If you get 10 of these a day in your office do you make money or lose on every one of them? I maintain you lose money on $25 and you don't even realize it.
    That is why taking insurance is acceptable for most in the industry; we are used to paying for someone else to send us a customer and tell us what we can sell and for how much!

We charge $50 extra just for bringing me an internet frame for lenses and certainly don;t want your $25 token. We charge $15-25 for repairs and adjustments that gets donated to charity.

Your business model makes the optical the charity!

Not a good for-profit model as far as I can tell.

Craig- win/win means make money on every transaction.
    i was referring to an on line store only. My brick and mortar location can't handle any more volume than we have. There's no limit to an on line store.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 03-06-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    fortunately I'm too busy to waste time doing low end work. And my office is just too small to handle much more volume. The frame area and my staff can't accommodate more than 3 couples at a time. So I'd rather spend my time with people who will spend 500 or 1000 at a time. It is harsh but it's also simple math.

Oh and I can't lie and promise how long anything will last from me or from anywhere. I've had silhouettes break in a week and seen plenty of junk frames last forever, like safety frames for example
    Fair enough - you're fortunate to be in that position.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

As busy as you seem to be, have you considered the next step to increasing your profit margins by weening yourself off insurance plans.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation

Blue Jumper Interesting conversation and a lot of different opinions............................

Interesting conversation and a lot of different opinions. In general we would like to sell our goods, that are made to measure crutches to see better, for a good profit and in decent quantities so that we can make a good living.

From a post peak low of 7,791,000 in January 2016, the number of unemployed has now grown again by 24,000.

and

TOTAL 45,368,265 on food stamps
    When they need glasses, they will need glasses, and most probably find them and purchase them online.

If those glasses are are working properly and they can see well, where are they going to do their next purchase, after they are back among the employed and making their own living?
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-07-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Interesting conversation and a lot of different opinions. In general we would like to sell our goods, that are made to measure crutches to see better, for a good profit and in decent quantities so that we can make a good living.

and

When they need glasses, they will need glasses, and most probably find them and purchase them online.

If those glasses are are working properly and they can see well, where are they going to do their next purchase, after they are back among the employed and making their own living?
    A few extra dollars and vanity changes EVERYTHING.....

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    As busy as you seem to be, have you considered the next step to increasing your profit margins by weening yourself off insurance plans.
    I have weaned off a couple of significant plans since moving into my new digs. I've been toying with weaning off eyemed but I keep getting pushback from staff. I really cannot wean off vsp without shooting myself in the foot since it's nearly half my business. Having said that, if my private sector ever overtakes 3rd party in growth rate, I might reconsider.

Naw, I'll just retire next year and leave that decision to my apparent successor who so far leans heavily in favor of 3rd party work, especially the medical stuff.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Leverage their most under-utilized assets — their employee base.

Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post

A few extra dollars and vanity changes EVERYTHING.....

Leverage their most under-utilized assets — their employee base. Passionate, engaged employees can deliver personal customer experiences that create customer loyalty.

Retailers can create that environment by developing a relevant and authentic employee brand that employees can connect with. The 2013 Gallup study about employee engagement describes a U.S. workforce with only 30% of employees engaged in their work, with active disengagement costing the American economy an estimated $450-550 billion per year.

read all of it:=========>
    http://www.ngdata.com/how-to-improve-customer-retention

Thread Information