Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Essilor's white paper on the blue problem

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    In light of the above discussion, does anyone feel there is potential harm from too much Trump?
    Lying, Tirades, and Hair, Oh My!
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    one question, are you guys excruciated by BLUE?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone actually tried the crizal prevencia? Anyone notice a difference? I'm not talking about retinal (macular) difference, but a difference in eye strain and sleep patterns as suggested with blue light protection.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's what they look like:

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...07&oe=578ED42C

Hideous, plus you get the same reflections off that front surface from light sources located behind the wearer.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Your Welcome. Wouldn't it be something if exposure to uv/hev/blue light at a young age becomes part of a high myopia prevention program?

Violet Light Exposure Can Be a Preventive Strategy Against Myopia Progression

Hidemasa Torii Toshihide Kurihara , Yuko Seko c, Kazuno Negishi , KazuhikoOhnuma , Takaaki Inaba, Motoko Kawashima, Xiaoyan Jiang, Shinichiro Kondo, MakiMiyauchi, YukihiroMiwa, Yusaku Katada, Kiwako Mori, Keiichi Kato, Kinya Tsubota, Hiroshi Goto, Mayumi Oda hMegumi Hatori, Kazuo Tsubota

Prevalence of myopia is increasing worldwide. Outdoor activity is one of the most important environmental factors for myopia control. Here we show that violet light (VL, 360–400 nm wavelength) suppresses myopia progression. First, we confirmed that VL suppressed the axial length (AL) elongation in the chick myopia model. Expression microarray analyses revealed that myopia suppressive gene EGR1 was upregulated by VL exposure. VL exposure induced significantly higher upregulation of EGR1 in chick chorioretinal tissues than blue light under the same conditions. Next, we conducted clinical research retrospectively to compare the AL elongation among myopic children who wore eyeglasses (VL blocked) and two types of contact lenses (partially VL blocked and VL transmitting). The data showed the VL transmitting contact lenses suppressed myopia progression most. These results suggest that VL is one of the important outdoor environmental factors for myopia control. Since VL is apt to be excluded from our modern society due to the excessive UV protection, VL exposure can be a preventive strategy against myopia progression.

© 2016 The Authors. Published by Elsevier B.V. This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Here we show that violet suppresses myopia progression......................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

Violet Light Exposure Can Be a Preventive Strategy Against Myopia Progression

Prevalence of myopia is increasing worldwide. Outdoor activity is one of the most important environmental factors for myopia control.
    Here we show that violet light (VL, 360–400 nm wavelength) suppresses myopia progression.

I came out with a do it yourself UV 400 lens treatment in 1981 that fully absorbed 100% of UV up to 400nm. We sold thousands of them for years.

Lenses resulted in a light yellowish tinge.

Then somebody else came out with a UV that was not yellowish but only absorbed to 380nm. And we lost a lot of sales because they were clear white and not the ugly yellowish color.

These days nobody seems to be doing the yourself method anymore, and save money big time.

Some manufacturers have now re invented UV 400 absorbing lenses 36 years later, opticians used to apply in their own offices for years at little cost.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow.

Chris - stop selling your stuff all over the boards here for like two seconds, and actually read the paper that was linked above. Even just the title. *shaking my head*

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper ....................shake you head as much as you want

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Wow.

Chris - stop selling your stuff all over the boards here for like two seconds, and actually read the paper that was linked above. Even just the title. *shaking my head*

....................shake you head as much as you want, but also use your thinking capacity, that might tell you that all of this stuff has been around since you were in kindergarten.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ....................shake you head as much as you want, but also use your thinking capacity, that might tell you that all of this stuff has been around since you were in kindergarten.
    What does that have to do with being called out for constantly advertising your website even when it doesn't add to the conversation?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    What's been around? You shamelessly selling your tint of the week (gotta get those website hits anyway you can I suppose) that blocks what the paper linked above specifically says NOT to block? Seriously - read the excerpt. *still shaking my head*

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Has anyone actually tried the crizal prevencia? Anyone notice a difference? I'm not talking about retinal (macular) difference, but a difference in eye strain and sleep patterns as suggested with blue light protection.
    Anecdote not equaling evidence, but our patients, on return ~1-1.5 years after purchasing Recharge lenses, have reported less fatigue from prolonged periods on digital devices and better sleep cycles. The latter report is what I'm more interested in, as our office didn't start promoting the potential benefits to circadian rhythm until much later, after many of these patients had purchased their lenses. So, that was patients, independent of one another and without any influence from an ECP, reporting the same benefit.

We were never able to get a sample of Prevencia, and our OD (along with me, personally) had a policy of not selling anything we hadn't tried out personally, so, can't offer any info on that one.

Even if data proves down the line that there is no HEV "hazard," I'm wondering if such lenses may still have a place as "anti fatigue" lenses.

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter casey's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Many people embraced John Ott

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Oooh! Full Spectrum! Reminds me of where it all started:

Attachment 12582

A former Disney cinematographer, he postulated that the pineal gland received and required the full spectrum of sunlight from the eye in order to maintain good health.

In the late 60's/early 70's, Armorlite manufactured CR 39 without UV inhibitors, and called the lens "Full Spectrum."

B

I sat down to a six-pair order for "full spectrum". late 70s -early 80s. Lotta folks believed John Ott. Only reason I had heard about it was my brother had greenhouses.
    PS: Thanks again for your consult re glass earlier this year

Thread Information