Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essilor's white paper on the blue problem

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Essilor's white paper on the blue problem

This is pretty well done and well documented. All blue problem naysayers might want to give it a read.

http://www.crizalusa.com/content/dam...hite-Paper.pdf

I still don't like their Prevencia approach, and hear they are releasing another lens that might be safer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Read it ages ago.

It's the same old same old... Loads of *mights*, *possiblies*, *insurance for your eyes*, *may be beneficial* etc ad nauseum.

It's a great way to sell lenses for their share holders of course. Just like everyone else jumping in on the "bad" blue light bandwagon.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Straight from the boys in the marketing department.

A little song, a little dance
    A little seltzer down your pants

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know it's old but will be updated soon. Hope the naysayers read some of the references as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The red scare has now morphed into the blue scare. And it's even more nebulous today.

Until there is peer reviewed hard data showing actual damage to humans, related to a specific frequency or frequency range, along with energy exposure levels over time, I'll remain suspicious. Further, I'm sure any one of these cats could easily write up a large research grant proposal to develop an optical scanning machine capable of objectively measuring luminous output of every electronic screen being sold on the market today. Such as device should easily be able to quantify each screen's transmission of frequency and power across their entire operational range, and with all user controllable settings engaged as well. With this information plotted, one could, objectively, determine which screens might pose any form of hazzard to human eyes, relative to what settings, distances and time viewed. Assuming of course, that direct correlations can be shown between human retinal damage, and specific frequency and luminance exposure.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    The red scare has now morphed into the blue scare. And it's even more nebulous today.

Until there is peer reviewed hard data showing actual damage to humans, related to a specific frequency or frequency range, along with energy exposure levels over time, I'll remain suspicious. Further, I'm sure any one of these cats could easily write up a large research grant proposal to develop an optical scanning machine capable of objectively measuring luminous output of every electronic screen being sold on the market today. Such as device should easily be able to quantify each screen's transmission of frequency and power across their entire operational range, and with all user controllable settings engaged as well. With this information plotted, one could, objectively, determine which screens might pose any form of hazzard to human eyes, relative to what settings, distances and time viewed. Assuming of course, that direct correlations can be shown between human retinal damage, and specific frequency and luminance exposure.
    Yep, so while we are waiting for all that data that will take at least one generation to arrive, I'll continue to work on blue protection that looks good and works well for all activities. In the end, we will have one of four possibilities:

1. Nothing was found and our efforts had no effect, good or bad, except maybe some of us made a bit more money than others, and our patients might have been a bit more appreciative of our efforts than the patients those who luckily turned out to be correct.

2. Nothing was found except our efforts actually harmed some people. This is the one scenario that I fear, but is very unlikely if the science is well understood and certain precautions are taken (like don't wear blue reflectors, ever). In this scenario, the makers of blue reflectors might have to pay, but they have deep pockets. Those who warned against the blue reflectors will be safe from attack, while those who avidly promoted them and fit them, ???

3. Damage was found, but significantly less so with those who got protection from those who "bought in" to the theories than those who didn't. Here we will be praised and the others might face lawsuits, esp. if the others can be shown to be negligent in their ignoring all the warnings and data.

4. Damage was found but our protective measures didn't significantly affect the numbers. Here everyone loses, but at least we tried, and made a living doing so.

So ladies and gents, place your bets.

Good luck.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 02-03-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarification and grammar improvement

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Unactivated Transitions in all Varilux going forward to block blu light.

E has realized that clear transitions without the stuff that activates it does block blue light and it is in the monomer already!
    This is the new Varilux with built-in blu blockers. That will add a few $ to the cost but of course!!

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    This is pretty well done and well documented. All blue problem naysayers might want to give it a read.

http://www.crizalusa.com/content/dam...hite-Paper.pdf

I still don't like their Prevencia approach, and hear they are releasing another lens that might be safer.
    We certainly can't deny it's existence. However, like all other things in life that pose a threat and are harmful, simple advice is avoid large dose rates and keep moderation as the key to long term health.

We've gotten this far without a major ocular catastrophe to date. I think this is more of a strategic way to sell more lenses backed by scientific data - that's the main goal here.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    We certainly can't deny it's existence. However, like all other things in life that pose a threat and are harmful, simple advice is avoid large dose rates and keep moderation as the key to long term health.

We've gotten this far without a major ocular catastrophe to date. I think this is more of a strategic way to sell more lenses backed by scientific data - that's the main goal here.
    Right but we've not yet had the first generation of smart phone staring by children hit adulthood. I fear what we'll find in another 15 years.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper That is how a full Blue Blocking lens transmits and absorbs.

That is how a full Blue Blocking lens transmits and absorbs.

click to see graph : ========>

http://optochemicals.com/blueb_transmission.htm

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anecdotally, I have been a computer nerd my whole life, had amazing vision in childhood, started needing glasses in middle school, had great corrected vision (20/15 easy) in late teens, by early 20s I was reduced to 20/20, now I struggle to be corrected to 20/20. I have also been an insomniac my whole life.

Since getting duravision blueprotect, I now sleep on a normal schedule.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That is how a full Blue Blocking lens transmits and absorbs.

click to see graph : ========>

http://optochemicals.com/blueb_transmission.htm

Looking at that curve it cuts out a fair amount of green as well as most all the blue so I'm guessing it's a very orang sun tint?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper However we can tint that over to look ...........................

Looking at that curve it cuts out a fair amount of green as well as most all the blue so I'm guessing it's a very orang sun tint?

You are right, the original color is an orange sun tint.

However we can tint that over to look:

amber / brown / chocolate brown / dark green in non photo chromatic always even shading.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uncut posted this article in a different thread http://www.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idUSKCN0V727H. Here is the accompanying study it references http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/va...e2015261a.html. Yes, you will need to make payment if you want to read the research document.

From the article
    The blue light exposure on a clear day in June was around 10 percent of the ICNIRP safe limit. A cloudy day in December produced around 3 percent of the limit.Comparing these natural exposures with light from lamps, computer screens and mobile devices like smartphones, the study team found that the artificial light produced even lower exposures than people normally encounter outdoors. That is, provided they’re staring just at the sky, not directly at the sun, which is well known to damage eyes.
    Any one care to comment on this?

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    Anecdotally, I have been a computer nerd my whole life, had amazing vision in childhood, started needing glasses in middle school, had great corrected vision (20/15 easy) in late teens, by early 20s I was reduced to 20/20, now I struggle to be corrected to 20/20. I have also been an insomniac my whole life.

Since getting duravision blueprotect, I now sleep on a normal schedule.
    Wow. Do you mind posting your age? I'll be very interested in knowing if your 20/15 ever returns.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    re kwill212

very weak statement from a questionable source. I'd love to see the actual numbers and measuring methodologies they used to measure both sky and mobile phone outputs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow. Do you mind posting your age? I'll be very interested in knowing if your 20/15 ever returns.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    re kwill212

very weak statement from a questionable source. I'd love to see the actual numbers and measuring methodologies they used to measure both sky and mobile phone outputs.
    Did you read the research article where the actual numbers and methods were provided? Here is the link again http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/va...e2015261a.html

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    at 30, you should be correctible to 20/15 if your cornea is smooth, no irreg. astig., no scarring, your lenses are clear, no cataracts, not too many or too big vitreous floaters, your maculas are clear, free from drusen and your optic nerves are good, no glaucoma or other nerve damage.

That said, it will be really interesting to see if your avoidance of the blue will allow your central acuity to return to 20/15 or not. Please let us know. Of course conventional wisdom would suggest that macular damage is a one way street, but time will tell.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    no, i'm not a member of nature.com or "eye". I only read free stuff these days.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    no, i'm not a member of nature.com or "eye". I only read free stuff these days.
    That seems like a pretty convenient way of coming to any conclusion you want about a subject. For someone who seems to be so very concerned about blue light, I would think you would want to get as much scientific data as possible.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Anecdotally, I have been a computer nerd my whole life, had amazing vision in childhood, started needing glasses in middle school, had great corrected vision (20/15 easy) in late teens, by early 20s I was reduced to 20/20, now I struggle to be corrected to 20/20...
    Isn't this most likely just functional myopia? Hasn't it been well documented that if you spend most of your time doing up-close work (reading, using computer, using smartphone, etc...), especially early in life, and don't spend enough time doing distance-oriented tasks and/or taking appropriate breaks from upclose work at regular intervals, you end up with functional myopia?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If blue light is harmful to humans then why is there not a spike in retinal disease in post cataract patients? Why do we not already see an uptick in retinal disease with Gen X'ers as they grew up staring at TV screens (Video Games), then computers, then mobile phones.

Until there is a credible source not funded by a manufacturer of a product that cures the disease, I'm going to call BS.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Ah, I see my understanding of it is a little out of date. Thank you. I will be interested to see more studies as they become available.

Thread Information