Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essilor's white paper on the blue problem

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    If blue light is harmful to humans then why is there not a spike in retinal disease in post cataract patients? Why do we not already see an uptick in retinal disease with Gen X'ers as they grew up staring at TV screens (Video Games), then computers, then mobile phones.

Until there is a credible source not funded by a manufacturer of a product that cures the disease, I'm going to call BS.
    Ah, so. A clear case of a cure waiting for a disease. A dream made on Madison Avenue.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Ah, I see my understanding of it is a little out of date. Thank you. I will be interested to see more studies as they become available.
    Your Welcome. Wouldn't it be something if exposure to uv/hev/blue light at a young age becomes part of a high myopia prevention program?
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Your Welcome. Wouldn't it be something if exposure to uv/hev/blue light at a young age becomes part of a high myopia prevention program?
    Ha, that would be very interesting. That definitely would go against blocking blue light willy-nilly.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Think about this: William Crookes, over 100 years ago, empirically uncovered the benefit that blue tinted lenses gave for reading comfort, aka Crookes A. Blue light, because of its shorter wavelength, can actually reduce accommodative demand, particularly for close-focus mobile device users and accomodative asthenopes.

B

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Think about this: William Crookes, over 100 years ago, empirically uncovered the benefit that blue tinted lenses gave for reading comfort, aka Crookes A. Blue light, because of its shorter wavelength, can actually reduce accommodative demand, particularly for close-focus mobile device users and accomodative asthenopes.

B
    I don't think that's correct. The original Crookes A was a clear lens that absorbed more UV than other glass of the day. Blue tinted lenses have no place in ophthalmic practice as far as I'm concerned because they let in all the bad blue and absorb all the good lower energy wavelengths. Blue tinting reduces accommodative demand? Not. Blue is scattered in the eye and makes accommodation much more difficult, ergo stressed and pushed.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Blue tinted lenses have no place in ophthalmic practice as far as I'm concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post

I don't think that's correct. The original Crookes A was a clear lens that absorbed more UV than other glass of the day. Blue tinted lenses have no place in ophthalmic practice as far as I'm concerned ...........................
    ...............this discussion dated in 2006:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...elvetlite-tint

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    I don't think that's correct. The original Crookes A was a clear lens that absorbed more UV than other glass of the day. Blue tinted lenses have no place in ophthalmic practice as far as I'm concerned because they let in all the bad blue and absorb all the good lower energy wavelengths. Blue tinting reduces accommodative demand? Not. Blue is scattered in the eye and makes accommodation much more difficult, ergo stressed and pushed.
    in the eye, the dioptric interval defined by the wavelength range from 400nm-780nm is 2.5 diopters. The emmetropic monochromatic response of the eye is 572nm. So me thinks that yes, blue or blue filtered light can reduce accomodative demand for most individuals.

B
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thibos LCA.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	12583
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-10-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Until there is a credible source not funded by a manufacturer of a product that cures the disease, I'm going to call BS.
    Me too. (Although seltzer down my pants would be a novel sensation.)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    in the eye, the dioptric interval defined by the wavelength range from 400nm-780nm is 2.5 diopters. The emmetropic monochromatic response of the eye is 572nm. So me thinks that yes, blue or blue filtered light can reduce accomodative demand for most individuals.

B
    That's pure crap.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    That's pure crap.
    Maybe it's just confusion between electromagnetic wavelength (nanometers) and refractive power (diopters, focal lengths, etc).

Surprising confusion coming from an optician.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's pure crap.
    Don't hold back. Tell him how you really feel.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just thought I would post this. Read the whole study if you wish. Draw your own conclusions......

Widespread use of computer and mobile technologies changed the exposure of human eyes to light. Despite public health concerns that staring at devices putting out high amounts of the blue light wavelength could damage human retinas, a recent study finds that most devices put out less of that light than the blue sky on a clear day. Claims that light sources with emissions containing blue light may cause eye damage raise were refuted by this study. A number of sources were assessed and the exposure conditions were compared with international exposure limits, and the exposure likely to be received from staring at a blue sky. None of the sources assessed approached the exposure limits, even for extended viewing times. The authors warn that the amount of light that gets transmitted from the surface of the eye to the retina is age-related, so children may be more sensitive to blue light. Light sources that are comfortable for adults could be distressing for children. The U.K. study did not look at other questions regarding the effect of blue light on human health, such as its potential to disrupt circadian rhythms and sleep. The study was published online in Eye on 15 January 2016.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's pure crap.
    Sorry you feel that way, drk. I happen to have the PP outlining this from Dr. Larry Thibos of IU School of Optometry, and that's EXACLY THE CRAP HE presented.

OK, a correction: 2 diopters

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-08-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We sold UV protection for years on, well I'm pretty sure it helps protect your eyes. Some of the claims of these new product can be tested. But not by a bunch of ODs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    We sold UV protection for years on, well I'm pretty sure it helps protect your eyes. Some of the claims of these new product can be tested. But not by a bunch of ODs.
    uhhhh, bunch of ODs? I think the ODs here are just about as puzzled as anyone else. Isn't it the lens manufacturers that are selling us this bill of goods? Could you explain your comment.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's the conclusion that's specious, Barry. Don't write a giant piece in Lenses and Technology for Eyecare Business on it, please.

So think about it...yes, different wavelengths refract differently. I think Issac Newton figured that out.

But the contention that we "block blue light", that is, one of a zillion wavelengths we sense, in order to "compress the spectrum we're viewing" in order to "stabilize our accommodation" from "wandering around from trying to focus the blue light, then the green light, then the red light, then the blue light"..good heavens that's bull crap.

If minute changes in accommodation are so important, we'd better stop using handhelds...because...they're...moving!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The central point of Thibos's presentation is the emmetropia is a monochromatic concept. He devised an empirical experiment where the researchers uncovered that the Wavelength most closely associated with the eye'e subjective sense of sharpness is 572nm. Not 546. Not 587.

So longitudinal chromatic aberration will play a big role, both in the eye and out.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-10-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That doesn't mean a damn thing, clinically.

Why isn't there a problem with fluctuating accommodation, clinically, then? The same would apply at distance. "Hey doc. I'm getting 'eyestrain' when I'm looking at TV. It seems like I'm trying to accommodate those green parts of the football field. The NY Jets give me a headache, and the Redskins are blurry, somehow. But only when those teams play at home."

Never happens. Ever.

"Eyestrain". The bogey man of vision care. Ranked #2 to "glare".

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The only reason I'm busting on you is:
    1. You postulate like crazy
    2. You have a big microphone
    3. People listen to you
    4. Monied interests publish what you think without peer review in trade rags
    5. Monied interests would love to set you up as an expert that says "our blueblockers minimize eyestrain" says Barry Santini, BMOC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The central point of Thibos's presentation is the emmetropia is a monochromatic concept. He devised an empirical experiment where the researchers uncovered that the Wavelength most closely associated with the eye'e subjective sense of sharpness is 572nm. Not 546. Not 587.

So lateral chromatic aberration will play a big role, both in the eye and out.

B
    Barry, there are monocular and binocular spatial clues to accomodation, and other cortical algorithms going on which far outweigh those couple of nanometers, IMHO, so while I may not agree with the way Dr. K is saying it, he's "probably" right. You might be technically right about the physics of it...but cortical functioning can negate that in a flash. So, I don't think chromatic aberration plays a clinically significant role in real-life accomodation. Did I do a scientific study to prove my theory? No.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Think about it:

The dioptric value of the lenses you test and prescribe with DOES NOT come close 'enough" to matching the dioptric value the eye desires. factor in exam distance (too close), mirrors/folding (even closer), and the premise that accomodation MUST never be present (fantastic for latent hyperopes?), and for mature adds, the inset of nuclear sclerosis, and my job is...tougher than it needs to be.

Anyway, it's really about the science here.

B

PS - I luv when you bust 'em. Keeps me honest...or at least in that direction, drk!
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-09-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    But what the eye "desires", or IOW the empirical refraction, may have little to do with what the visual cortex wants....

Just think hyperopes who are 20/50 at distance and say..."oh but I see fine at distance. I don't need glasses to drive" No way a few nanometers of blue light are going to affect his accomodative impulse....and it's not because my refraction is not "accurate". Real life is not accurate.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    All I'm saying, Big B, is that you need to calm down a little. Your brain runs away with you too much. And then it gets codified in print.

Remember what Spiderman and Batman and Superman say: "With great power comes great responsibility".

I don't want patients asking me for "Crizal Prevencia with Accommorelax"!

And don't forget the scientific method, compared to the pseudoscientific marketing crap that we all have to endure.
    Last edited by drk; 02-09-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, I'd hate to see the manufacturer's advertising "a lens that will make your accomodation more relaxed" because it filters blue light...kinda the way I hate those Gunnar? lenses are advertised as better for near and they sneak in a .375 add.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We tell our patients "more light" for reading. If more light makes reading easier, which I can attest to, than no tint would help accommodation. When I'm trying to put a black screw in black eyeglasses I don't grab a pair of tinted glasses. I turn on my desk light and throw on readers.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Thread Information