Thread: Best progressive lenses for computer use?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hi all!!

I would like to take a quick survey of what progressive lenses have been working the best for your patients who do a TON of computer work. Especially the patients who purchase a pair of 'computer glasses' that they may even leave at the workplace. Let's sound off!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My favorite is SOLA's Access lens for intermediate and near. I usually introduce them to the patient when fitting them with progressives. Sell lots of them and have converted even readers only to this concept with little or no problems. I also talk to patients who want to see accross the table at their crafts, card clubber's, piano/organ players, etc..

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My vote is the Shamir Desk Top Variable Focus Lens. It has three dynamic powers and two base curves. This type of lens is a vast improvement over reading only lenses. This also allows you to offer a better close vision solution to the presbyopic Lasik and contact lens wearer.

You know what they say about opinions

Bill B

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I went with Zeiss Gradal RD.They haven't come back from the lab yet so I have no personal reviews, but my customers seem to love it.

------------------
    Harry J

OptiBoard Apprentice Kim Scheidler's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We've had very good luck with the Gradal RD and great luck with the SOLA Access. I'm wearing the RD now, but prefer the Access by a little bit. Both lenses work well for the "room distance" they are designed for. When training our customers dispensers I always try and point out to think outside the computer. These are great for anyone who does mostly close work. I keep a pair at home for TV and reading the paper and have fit them on cooks, draftsmen, Optometrists, mechanics(access poly) and many other occupation hobbies. The computer lens billing can stop people from thinking of other uses.

------------------

Our O.D. swears by this one...Careful, its kinda hard to find, but it's the AO Technica lens. We have sold this lens design to hundreds of people and it works very well. It is only designed for desk or computer use. Patients expecting a lens to wear for every purpose(including walking around the office) should not wear the Technica lens. I have used it myself for the PC and it works great. A very sharp intermediate, with superb reading range. The cost on it surpasses most lens designs for what you get. A very forgiving lens, soft design, and less non-adapts!(hmmmm...Sounds like I'm working for American Optical) Really, Try it!
    :D
    New eyeguy

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Access and DeskTops are our favourites.

We did an interesting Access for a studio musician/conductor who needed close Rx when looking straight ahead but intermediate when looking down at a TV monitor.

A pair of Access turned through 180 degrees and Right ordered as Left and Left as Right.

It worked well!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

lots of my accounts use the DeskTop or the Access. For those of you that haven't heard of the DeskTop, maybe you have heard of the Office (by Shamir)DeskTop is the same lens, with a wider power range that you can only get at Hoya Labs. The nice thing about the DeskTop is that it is very optician friendly. No adding or subtracting .50 from the dist or add-just using the regular progressive RX and choose the dynamic power that best suits the patients needs .75,1.25, or 1.75

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I have tried three different ones on myself, the Office by Shamir, the RD by Zeiss and the Access by Sola. The two that I found work best for me are the Office and the Access. I use the Office at work as the computer is a little further away and it has a 1.75 drop. The Access is what I use at home as I am closer to the screen. I need a little more Plus one of the benefits of getting older. I found that the Access worked best for me when I fit it as I would a progressive.
    The Rd was of no benefit. Not enough Plus I was better off in my 14X35 Trifocal. I believe this lens would have been fine if my computer screens were lower.
    I've gotten so used to the Office I find myself wondering why the Traffic lights are blurry on the way home.
    Karen enjoyed your visit today. I hope you found everything.

Jerry

Thread Information