Thread: Filling out an RX pad, coping the information on PT's chart in South Carolina

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Filling out an RX pad, coping the information on PT's chart in South Carolina

I have a current situation where I've been instructed that I (licensed SC Optician) am not able to copy RX information from a PT's chart to the OD's prescription pad. This information is being passed down from a manager that is unlicensed and also a district manager that has no retail experience at all. I've looked on south carolina's code of laws and cannot find a concrete answer on this topic. I've worked in two different locations for the same company, and this was never an issue before. The previous location had a license(not me) that would fill out RX pads and sign for the Dr. (Under the Dr's supervision and permission). Any information would be greatly appreciated, or direction on where to look.

PS. I called our state board today and they directed me to the SC CODE OF LAWS. That really didn't answer my question.

Thanks again,

-Brandon.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Don't waste your time trying to figure this out. Just do as you are told. It's that simple.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you work directly through the Dr or is it a chain you work for.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Part of a chain. Previous location was part of same company as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Doc is the only one that can write an Rx on an official Rx pad that is going to the patient, full stop.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How is it any different than printing out a spec rx from a computer? We do it all the time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Theoretically the rx in a computer was placed in there from the doctor or under their direct supervision if they used a scribe. The copying from one medium to another has a higher amount of risk, due to human error. It can also be easily misconstrued that if you wrote the RX, you were prescribing said rx..

That being said, many offices operate with the understanding that the doctor is delegating this task to his employee, much the same way they might delegate phoning in an rx to a pharmacy...
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    Doc is the only one that can write an Rx on an official Rx pad that is going to the patient, full stop.
    That depends on your title and the state you are working in. For instance, I can write an Rx from my Dr, with his Rx pad, and hand to a patient.
    My only thought regarding the posters scenario is if he his/she is working for a chain and not directly for the Dr; who may be preforming their role as an independent OD. Thusly, creating separation between the two entities.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    That depends on your title and the state you are working in. For instance, I can write an Rx from my Dr, with his Rx pad, and hand to a patient. My only thought regarding the posters scenario is if he his/she is working for a chain and not directly for the Dr; who may be preforming their role as an independent OD. Thusly, creating separation between the two entities.
    Agreed. it seems like a major issue. There is a discontinuity between the prescribing doctor and the person writing the Rx on the Rx pad. That has always been a no-no as far as I've been taught.

Thread Information