Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Does Customer Service Really Mean?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What Does Customer Service Really Mean?

I could use your help.

OpticianWorks is going through a transformation. In mid-February the site will release under the Lifter- Learning Management System with added content, progress tracking, updated images and illustrations, extended testing and easier navigation.

I am trying to assemble a lesson about, What Does Customer Service (Really) Mean?

With an emphasis on the "Really".

Most of you here are seasoned professionals.

In a sentence, paragraph or manifesto how would you answer that question?

Please let me know if you would like to quoted directly or not.

You can also email me at opticianworksjohn at gmail dot com.

Thank you,
    John

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Simply put, treat others the same way that you wish to be treated.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Meeting the customers expectation.

Exceeding the customers expectations no matter how unreasonable they may be.

But, always remember the immortal words of W. C. Fields, "never give a sucker an even break!" particularly if you are dealing with a third party vision plan or insurer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Exceeding the customers expectations no matter how unreasonable they may be."

OK
    So you really need to explain that!

"My glasses were a day late getting here, I want them for free."
    "That AR stuff is just sprayed on in the back, you should charge, like $10 for it."
    "This 6 year old frame just broke, I want a new one for free under warranty."
    "No, my insurance covers everything."

I'm confused...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by John@OWDC View Post
    "Exceeding the customers expectations no matter how unreasonable they may be."

OK
    So you really need to explain that!

"My glasses were a day late getting here, I want them for free."
    "That AR stuff is just sprayed on in the back, you should charge, like $10 for it."
    "This 6 year old frame just broke, I want a new one for free under warranty."
    "No, my insurance covers everything."

I'm confused...

Grabs popcorn.................

Let me start to unconfuse you. The sentence Dick used encompasses all the situations listed above.

The expectation of delivery on time, the knowledge about the product purchased as understood, before ordering. A clear understanding about the warranty/repair possibilities must be covered at the time of ordering and further reinforced at delivery.

Insurance is not your issue, it is the agreement between the insured, insured employer, and the insurance company.....you do not control them.
    Clarity is service, anticipation of future needs is service.

...............munches on popcorn.
    Last edited by uncut; 01-08-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, OK

So the original post was missing a line.

1) Set the expectation

2) Meet the expectation

3) Exceed the expectation

Sorry, still not clear on the "unreasonable" it sounds like the "Customer is always right" myth...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I think the ideal customer service involves a set of rules in place to deliver the best experience for the client... but with the staff having the freedom to bend those rules if necessary. However, if you have no rules (perhaps the word 'principles' would be better), you can't achieve consistency, which is the root of good service.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I know some of these oldies onboard were required to read time-tested classics like The Go-Getter: A Story That Tells You How To Be One, by Peter B Kyne,

way before even touching a PD stick. It runs about 20 pages and available online free...and on Amazon for not free. Read some of the reviews on Amazon.

While not answering your question, I hope I can point you in the direction of some source material. Good luck!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    To me, customer service is making the patient feel heard, no matter what the issue is. Right or wrong, the patient deserves to be heard, understood, and respected. In our office, patient perception is key.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a wee silver hammer, suspended from a chain attached to a shadow box. The glass front has a sign on it that says:

" In case of unreasonable customer expectations...break glass".

Inside the shadow box is a bottle of Glenlivet.

Cheers
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    We have a wee silver hammer, suspended from a chain attached to a shadow box. The glass front has a sign on it that says:

" In case of unreasonable customer expectations...break glass".

Inside the shadow box is a bottle of Glenlivet.

Cheers
    I hope that the hammer is to be reused to hit the offending party whilst taking a drink from the bottle.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Interesting thread... Follow. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea It must be part of your system, process and flow!

We are in the super luxury business and we try to ensure the system delivers; flowers and hand written notes are great but if the patient is not thrilled with the entire experience than it is not success.

The key to me is to let folks have the freedom to know we can do whatever they want and correctly the first time. All systems must be geared to one time delivery of the glasses.

When it comes to lenses the client wants to understand what they will do but really doesn't care how it does it in great detail. They do not want lens choices just clear, tint, transitions or polarized with a lens design that suits their uses.

We are calling it www.autolensapp.com and look for it to change the optical world!

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Folks!

PLEASE Keep 'Em Coming

This is just what I'm looking for.

Obviously, like politics or religion there is no right-wrong answer here, just beliefs.
    The more different "takes" I can get on the idea the better.

John

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think customer service differs by industry. A cellular phone customer service agent has a different level of interaction with customers than opticians have with patients. We have to know the patients job, hobbies, bad habits, personality type, health concerns, medications, and much more. We also work with one of the few custom made products left in the universe with nearly infinite potential combinations of outcomes. On top of our technical knowledge, and years of experience in the industry, we have to perform supernatural feats like reading minds, reading in between the lines, and predicting problems before they occur. Lastly, whether a person states it or not, a majority of people want to look attractive to other people. We get the opportunity to define the most noticeable part of another person's face. Not many "customer service" agents have to provide such a wide range of skill sets that we optician do. To top it off, not many people "enjoy" wearing glasses or having to spend their hard earned money on them. This is an automatic obstacle we face before we even start. I can't speak for other people in our industry, but I care for my patients. My care is authentic, and I believe that is the core of why I'm an excellent optician and customer service provider.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I think customer service differs by industry. A cellular phone customer service agent has a different level of interaction with customers than opticians have with patients. We have to know the patients job, hobbies, bad habits, personality type, health concerns, medications, and much more. We also work with one of the few custom made products left in the universe with nearly infinite potential combinations of outcomes. On top of our technical knowledge, and years of experience in the industry, we have to perform supernatural feats like reading minds, reading in between the lines, and predicting problems before they occur. Lastly, whether a person states it or not, a majority of people want to look attractive to other people. We get the opportunity to define the most noticeable part of another person's face. Not many "customer service" agents have to provide such a wide range of skill sets that we optician do. To top it off, not many people "enjoy" wearing glasses or having to spend their hard earned money on them. This is an automatic obstacle we face before we even start. I can't speak for other people in our industry, but I care for my patients. My care is authentic, and I believe that is the core of why I'm an excellent optician and customer service provider.
    ^^ This, right here.

While my grandfather never put it into words he made it clear what one needs to do to make the customer happy. And that is to simply take pride in your service to them, you want to Wow them, they want to be Wowed. So do what you need to, close the store late for them, take that extra measurement and let them know while you do it, hunt that hard to find frame, and above all else do it with a grin and no expectation of reward because you may not get it. This is your pride, this is your chosen profession and as such there should be nothing stopping you from exceeding their expectations.
    Of course my grandfather was a contractor and "Well-man" (digger of water wells) here in Alaska in the sixties so this was expected, still though I know it works because nearly every family in this city knew him.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    to let folks have the freedom to know we can do whatever they want and correctly the first time.
    Craig
    Well, I personally think that is an unrealistic standard. I'm all about getting up to 3 attempts at bat to make them feel like they got a home run.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Well, I personally think that is an unrealistic standard. I'm all about getting up to 3 attempts at bat to make them feel like they got a home run.

B
    What about no more free re-do's?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OMG OMG OMG I would love to write a dissertation on what customer service means. I wish I had the time its my very favorite subject. Please give me a shout I would love to have a beer with you and stand on my soap box and scream to the hills at what customer service is and what it should be. But may I recommend How to make friends and influence people by Dale Carneghie to start. Then the OZ principle. I wish I had time to write all my thoughts about this down!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chaoticneutral

If you feel that strongly a paragraph would do just fine.

No deadline on my end - take your time.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    What about no more free re-do's?
    will build in into the increased profit margin

Occupation
    There is a story told in all marketing courses about the new employee at a large department store, Macy's I think, who had a customer approach him with a tire that he wanted to return for a refund. Of course, he had no receipt. The employee was puzzled as Macy's didn't sell tires so he went to his manager and asked what he should do to get the customer and his tire out of the store without creating a ruckus. The manager told the clerk to give the customer a store credit for whatever amount he felt the tire was worth. Quite puzzled the clerk did as his manager instructed and gave the customer a store credit for $50.00. The customer thanked the clerk and proceeded into the jewelry department where he spent $1600.00 on a new Rolex. There is a lesson here.

A car dealer recently related a story of a gentleman who was considering the purchase of a new Maybach. As is the sales policy the customer is allowed to take the car for a couple of days test drive. When the car was returned a few days later it was in shambles as the son had used it for his senior prom and had puked in both the front and rear seats.

So, I guess the message is sometimes you bend over backwards and sometimes you bend over frontwards and grab your ankles.

It sure would be great if there were a simple formula for pleasing everyone all the time but I am afraid there ain't. Speaking from a personal perspective, as a consumer, what may delight me one day will throw me into a fit the next and what you consider "superior customer service" I might consider wasting my valuable time.

I guess you just have to try to do the right thing most of the time and try not to get on the customers nerves or your bosses nerve.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Dick brings up, each customer has a different guideline on what defines good customer service to them, and it can vary day to day. The goal is to meet them at their level. Give them as much or as little education as they desire. Be able to set the appropriate expectation, and then try to exceed it.
    Make sure you follow up after the sale so they know you are going to be there for them in the future as well.

My goal is to create relationships. I want to be the gal they come to for anything optical related.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    There is a story told in all marketing courses about the new employee at a large department store, Macy's I think, who had a customer approach him with a tire that he wanted to return for a refund. Of course, he had no receipt. The employee was puzzled as Macy's didn't sell tires so he went to his manager and asked what he should do to get the customer and his tire out of the store without creating a ruckus. The manager told the clerk to give the customer a store credit for whatever amount he felt the tire was worth. Quite puzzled the clerk did as his manager instructed and gave the customer a store credit for $50.00. The customer thanked the clerk and proceeded into the jewelry department where he spent $1600.00 on a new Rolex. There is a lesson here.

A car dealer recently related a story of a gentleman who was considering the purchase of a new Maybach. As is the sales policy the customer is allowed to take the car for a couple of days test drive. When the car was returned a few days later it was in shambles as the son had used it for his senior prom and had puked in both the front and rear seats.

So, I guess the message is sometimes you bend over backwards and sometimes you bend over frontwards and grab your ankles.

It sure would be great if there were a simple formula for pleasing everyone all the time but I am afraid there ain't. Speaking from a personal perspective, as a consumer, what may delight me one day will throw me into a fit the next and what you consider "superior customer service" I might consider wasting my valuable time.

I guess you just have to try to do the right thing most of the time and try not to get on the customers nerves or your bosses nerve.

Well said!

Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Excellent piece.

John

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    As Dick brings up, each customer has a different guideline on what defines good customer service to them, and it can vary day to day. The goal is to meet them at their level. Give them as much or as little education as they desire. Be able to set the appropriate expectation, and then try to exceed it.
    Make sure you follow up after the sale so they know you are going to be there for them in the future as well.

My goal is to create relationships. I want to be the gal they come to for anything optical related.
    Nothing personal, Jubilee, but when I come into your shop I just want a pair of glasses, not a relationship. I want a frame similar to what I am now wearing with the same type of lenses that I have been wearing for the past 35 years. I don't want to try what is considered the latest and greatest in lens technology nor do I believe that there has ever been a pair of glasses worth $700.00.

Please don't call me later to ask how I am doing. I will tell you and my shadow will never darken your doorway again. Don't waste your time and efforts on romancing a lout such as myself who has an extremely sensitive BS meter with a very low setting who is impervious to all of your best intentions - give it to those who will appreciate it, indeed, demand it.

The trick here is reading people and catering to their whims - hug me or don't touch me !
    Last edited by rbaker; 01-10-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Thread Information