Thread: Pure optical dispensary inventory software

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Pure optical dispensary inventory software

Anyone have any experience with software purely designed for optical inventory? I definitely do not want full EMR, POS, billing or any other practice management bundles. Would it be better to go with specific software designed for this purpose, or to use a DYI approach with barcode scanner and widely available software eg: excel? I really want to keep this as simple as possible. Namely, the ability to keep track of inventory that has been purchased and sold. Cut down on disappearing frames. Simple reports to let me know what's selling well and what's not. I already have an EHR and PM combo and therefore do not need anything that includes these.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you add this from the package you use already? For what you want quickbooks has add-on's and otherwise you may need a new system for the office.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Quickbooks vs. Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Why don't you add this from the package you use already? For what you want quickbooks has add-on's and otherwise you may need a new system for the office.
    Thanks Craig,
    I've looked into Quickbooks (I use it for my financial/accounting needs) and I'm skeptical that it would be a good inventory manager. Actually, I find Quickbooks a fairly difficult program to use unless you're using it for what is was originally intended to do. I'm sure that if I put in a huge effort I would eventually be able to make it work for inventory but even then it would be limited. I have, however, been impressed with the free program Wink which seems to offer quite a robust inventory management system. Sounds almost too good to be true.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Inventory managers are only as good as the information you put into them. They are basically models with various inputs put through thousands of iterations to get an answer. This is basic analytic's at use. Do not rely on add on to software that will not fit your needs. Find something that voices your business concerns and that will do the trick. Approach this as Holistic Practice Management (HPM). Hope that helped.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would not recommend Quickbooks-I use the desktop version for the accounting part of the business and tried using their on-line credit card processing system (had been using Square) and my account was hacked from inside Quickbooks. 60K of fraudulent charges on my account later-they still deny I was hacked! Stay away from Quickbooks!!

Thread Information