Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy order: Pope Francis takes trip to opticians ...........................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Holy order: Pope Francis takes trip to opticians ...........................

Holy order: Pope Francis takes trip to opticians for new glasses

Pope declines home visit to Vatican in favour of outing in his Ford Focus to central Rome to get new lenses fitted

Pope Francis slippedout of the Vaticanon Thursday for a personal — and very normal — errand: new glasses.
    Francis arrived at dusk at the OtticaSpiezia on swank Via del Babuino in his Ford Focus, accompanied by hisbodyguard and some plainclothes police, witness Daniel Soehe said.
    Shop owner Alessandro Spiezia told theAssociated Press that he put new lenses in the pope’s existing frames. He saidhe had made the pope new glasses last year and that he had liked them so muchthat he asked for a new prescription.
    “I was supposed to go to the Vatican yesterday to bring them, but the popetold his secretary, ’No, I don’t want Spiezia to come here, I’ll go to Via delBabuino,’” a clearly emotional Spiezia said, moments after the pope left withhis new prescription filled.
    Video footage showed the pope trying onthe new glasses and being fitted by Spiezia and an assistant.
    The pope, who spent less than an hourin the tiny shop, was mobbed by an enormous crowd that gathered outside, somegrabbing his arm as he got into the car for the trip back to the Vatican.
    Francis has lamented that he can nolonger come and go as he pleases. He famously rode public transport in Buenos Aires asarchbishop and has said one of the things he misses most now that he is pope isbeing able to go out for a pizza.
    He does slip out occasionally, however,especially to visit the St Mary Major basilica, often on the eve of a foreigntrip and upon his return home. But even when Francis renewed his Argentinepassport , the Argentine ambassador to the Holy See came to him.
    Soehe, a German tourist visiting Rome with his father,said he was stunned to see the pope trying on glasses in the shop, especiallyafter he had waited for four hours earlier in the day, in vain, to climb to thetop of St Peter’s basilica.
    “There were too many people and alsothe president of Israelwas visiting and there were so many police officers, so it was too much for usand we went back to the hotel,” Soehe said.
    “I told my father, ’Hey, that wasbetter than going to St Peter’s dome: seeing the pope in a shop trying on newglasses.’”

See Video: ========>
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ns-new-glasses
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-01-2016 at 12:19 PM.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Being a non-Catholic person, I think the Pope is really cute and has a great sense of humor. But that frame board in the back is a wreck!
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    Being a non-Catholic person, I think the Pope is really cute and has a great sense of humor. But that frame board in the back is a wreck!
    I was raised Catholic and I'm pretty sure my mother's obsessive neatness was all under the presumption that "What if the pope comes to dinner?" You have to be prepared.

I need to go straighten up that board omg.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Your Holiness' total comes to $$$. Now what charity should I send that too?"

Now to sell as relics everything he touched...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    now that you mention it, that frame board is a wreck.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm more surprised that the pope brought Stephan King with him!!!
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hold on, jump back. The Holy Father comes into your shop and tries on every frame in the place. Do you follow him around replacing everything that he touches. I think not, as you are too busy romancing him.

As an aside, would you give him his PD if he asked?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Watching that video reminds me of when I sold glasses to serial killer. Taking accurate measurements under that pressure is not easy.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    "What if the pope comes to dinner?" You have to be prepared.
    True. So True. And that frame board.... Holy Cannoli!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Watching that video reminds me of when I sold glasses to serial killer.
    Oh, do tell!
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Those two frame boards have all sunglasses. Many of them looked dead to me. I doubt if he was touching those.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Watching that video reminds me of when I sold glasses to serial killer. Taking accurate measurements under that pressure is not easy.
    I take it he killed before getting the glasses? It would be more interesting if it was before. "You know, he could probably only hit them at that distance because of the excellent glasses we made for him!"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was after the murders . I have not yet seen an image with him wearing my glasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was after the murders . I have not yet seen an image with him wearing my glasses.
    After the murders but before he was charged? Do you make trips to the prison?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was before he went to prison, so the jail brought him here. He was shackled and had six or more guards with him. Getting six inches from a serial killer with handcuffs in the front to take PD and seg height was a tiny bit nerve wrecking.

I actually had never seen the movie about him until after I sold him his glasses.
    Last edited by smallworld; 01-05-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've gone from the pope to serial killers. I love you guys. Ill agree that its a little un nerving when you have to work with someone that has gang tats on their face and the like but everyone needs glasses. I try to treat everyone the same, celebrity, divine and fallen alike.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Hold on, jump back. The Holy Father comes into your shop and tries on every frame in the place. Do you follow him around replacing everything that he touches. I think not, as you are too busy romancing him.

As an aside, would you give him his PD if he asked?

Actually I'm noting every frame he tries on and re-marking them up triple the price!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    True story, when the serial killer's lawyer came to pick the glasses up he said to me "I bet I could make a lot of money if I sold these online". I'm with you chaoticneutral, just another day in the office for me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by morinput View Post
    Actually I'm noting every frame he tries on and re-marking them up triple the price!!!
    E-Bay!!!

Someone's dying to own them.
    sorry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    he came to visit the mentally ill!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    We've gone from the pope to serial killers. I love you guys. Ill agree that its a little un nerving when you have to work with someone that has gang tats on their face and the like but everyone needs glasses. I try to treat everyone the same, celebrity, divine and fallen alike.
    When I worked in the ghetto, the drug dealers were the most polite nicest boys, "Yes, Miss Caroline!" "Thank you, Miss Caroline!" Best. Patients. Ever.
    Caroline, L.O.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Speaking of the pope and serial killers, nuns can be a little unnerving. I had a Sister in who was wearing a habit and hearing aids, yet wanted a large frame for her petite head. I was trying to adjust them at dispense and had a hard time getting past the tight head covering, under the hearing aids and level on her head. She said to me "Do you not know how to adjust glasses?".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    When I worked in the ghetto, the drug dealers were the most polite nicest boys, "Yes, Miss Caroline!" "Thank you, Miss Caroline!" Best. Patients. Ever.
    I'm betting they paid all cash...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There' a word for everything...

Speaking of the pope and serial killers, nuns can be a little unnerving. I had a Sister in who was wearing a habit and hearing aids, yet wanted a large frame for her petite head. I was trying to adjust them at dispense and had a hard time getting past the tight head covering, under the hearing aids and level on her head. She said to me "Do you not know how to adjust glasses?".
    That would be the wimple piece of the habit that she was wearing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We get A LOT of nuns in our office and most are sweet and will take their habits off for adjustments. There are a few though...that are not very nice... the ones that make me glad I didn't go to Catholic school!

Thread Information