Thread: the lonely and busy optician.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

the lonely and busy optician.

I was curios what you think a good Dr to optician ratio would be. On a given day I will have 2-3 ODs and at least 1-2 MDs and sometimes 3. I feel like I can barely keep up with orders let alone do frame returns, check in glasses, call patient, clean, and most importantly spend time with patients asking and answering questions. If I actually have a slower day I find myself frenetically trying to get things done. I am the only optician in my office. last year it wasn't as bad but we have hired more doctors. They hired more techs as well but they have forgotten the lowly optician. Does one optician seem right? I feel I could do so much more if I had help at least two or three days a week. How many opticians work in your office? How many would you think would be ideal when you doctors can see 90+ patients a day?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should have roughly 1 Optician per 250k-300k in sales.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    +1
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    We used to have 2 opticians for 1 MD and 2-3 OD's and we were swamped. We added another really good optician and we have 2 techs with optician experience who help our. Revenues increased at least 30 % because we can get to all our optical patients and take the time needed to style and check in and dispense glasses and contacts. To try to get by with 1 optician is penny wise and pound foolish

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Apparently the management of the practice, and I use the term loosely, are either unaware or uncaring of the workload that they are subjecting their janitor, secretary, file clerk and sometime optician to. With all these hats its useless to come up with a meaningful ratio or metric. In either case you might best find another job. Dust off the old resume and hit the bricks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With all those Doc's and 1 optician, I can only imagine the potential revenue escaping. They can't possibly be that obtuse to think that more profits can be made with more opticians. In the situation you are describing I would want a lead optician/manager and 2 to 3 rockin' opticians working under them.
    Merry Christmas
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At my office we generally have two doctors working at a time. Each one has two techs and there are 4 opticians plus a lab optician that can come out if needed. We also have at least 2 people at the front desk/checkout and often 3.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have 2 docs and 6 staff. 2 are techs (one cross trained to optical), 1 front desk (cross trained to optical/ tech/insurance and billing), 1 insurance (cross trained for front desk), 1 billing (cross trained insurance and front desk) and Me, the1 optician (cross trained to every.possible.imaginable.position) We recently got a new college student in 2 days a week to cross train to tech/optical/front desk. It's hard to train someone when you are stretched as thin as well all are.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In our office we work 3 ODs at a time. We always have at least 3 licensed opticians, and at least two other assistants in the lab and on ordering, etc. I feel with less staff than that, orders would be walking out the door.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have 2 OD's at all times. 3 opticians, 3 at front desk, one "tech".. We see 24-28 per day and on track to hit 2M this year. (7 staff, 1 OM, and the 2 docs).
    Last edited by Slim; 12-28-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if you are just doing opticianry it may be barely workable...but if you have to do checkout and file insurance and do lab...then you may have a problem...

Thread Information