Thread: transpose the rx

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

transpose the rx

transpose.zip

Hey all, I just finished a thing in excel for the office for the newbees. This will help them learn how to transpose rexesses. Im hoping to get some feedback from you all (because I like talking to people smarter then me) to see if it's back to the drawing board. This is an excel spread sheet that needs to be macro enabled. It has two buttons. One will randomize the axis and automatically calculates the correct answer in the answer key which, of course, can be hidden and the second will randomize the sphere and that will also be automatically calculated in the answer key, again which is hidden, if you want it to be. Its a fun toy and I like pressing buttons.

Thanks for taking a look

Im not sure if it attached it looks like it did.

well, let me know k thanks

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, your Excel program works....but being a former instructor, it seems too "techy." Why not teach them to add the numbers algebraically, and change the axis by 90 degrees? I firmly believe in "concept" learning. When students, or "newbies" start relying on calculators, and programs to do such a simple task we're all in trouble.
    No offense intended (I could not have written that program), but I don't think it should be necessary.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a testing tool it would work. However, as a teaching tool for new people it is missing the steps as to how one simply gets from A to C. I would incorporate adding the Sph. component to the Cyl. algebraically, reversing the sign of the Cyl. value and adding or subtracting 90 degrees from the axis, along with an explanation as to why we keep the axis 0 to 180 degrees. I would also illustrate the difference of axis 90 and axis at 90 along with the importance of the meaning of the language.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awesome feedback so far. and thankyou! This is for individualized testing purposes only. 100 randomized equations per person so I (or you) don't have to type them out yourself. Randomize the sphere and the axis and then you can explain how to transpose without having to type out 100 different rx's every time you want to teach someone how to do this. The answer key is to check the persons work easier after they are done so you don't have to think unless you like doing that sort of thing.

As someone else once said ~ Give a lazy man a job and he will find the easiest way to do it.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll always remember Mr. LaBelle at my school giving us a ten question pop quiz to transpose the rx. I forgot to change the axis. Nothing like a 0 (zero) to make you never forget to change the axis!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Well, your Excel program works....but being a former instructor, it seems too "techy." Why not teach them to add the numbers algebraically, and change the axis by 90 degrees? I firmly believe in "concept" learning. When students, or "newbies" start relying on calculators, and programs to do such a simple task we're all in trouble.
    No offense intended (I could not have written that program), but I don't think it should be necessary.

Agreed. Learn when, how and why to add and subtract your 1-2-3's before finding faster ways to do it.

Schools around here trying to teach kids what they are calling "common core math" which is really just a long complicated way of coming to the same answer that we all learned in first grade, 2+2=4.
    How much more simple can it be?
    I think common core is just trying to teach the child to think outside the box and that there is more then one way to come up with the same answer.
    Some things just cant be improved on.....anything else its just made complicated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    I agree with Sharon. This would be good for the "Mctician" that can't make change without a cash register, which is also sad.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Awesome feedback so far. and thankyou! This is for individualized testing purposes only. 100 randomized equations per person so I (or you) don't have to type them out yourself. Randomize the sphere and the axis and then you can explain how to transpose without having to type out 100 different rx's every time you want to teach someone how to do this. The answer key is to check the persons work easier after they are done so you don't have to think unless you like doing that sort of thing.

As someone else once said ~ Give a lazy man a job and he will find the easiest way to do it.
    If this is for testing, my recommendations would be to make sure all the "+" and "-" signs are listed before each value-some have neither , which I assume means plus, but a student wouldn't know, and also make sure to put the same number format for every equation. ex:-0.25 instead of -.25 so every value looks the same.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another thing this type of testing misses is testing the algebraic concept. Most tests use varied formats, ie:
    -3.25+1.00x056 = -2.25 _____x146 , _____+1.00x056 = -2.25-1.00x146, -3.25+1.00x056=-2.25-1.00x_____
    Three different "find the missing value" of the same question. By switching the missing value throughout the test it secures the understanding and application of the skill set. I'm not sure this is necessary, but it seems back in the day when I was learning the tests seemed to do that.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    This would be good for the "Mctician" that can't make change without a cash register,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Another thing this type of testing misses is testing the algebraic concept. Most tests use varied formats, ie:
    -3.25+1.00x056 = -2.25 _____x146 , _____+1.00x056 = -2.25-1.00x146, -3.25+1.00x056=-2.25-1.00x_____
    Three different "find the missing value" of the same question. By switching the missing value throughout the test it secures the understanding and application of the skill set. I'm not sure this is necessary, but it seems back in the day when I was learning the tests seemed to do that.
    -3.25 +1.00 @ 056 = -2.25 --- x 146. We have to distinguish the difference between plus and minus cyl. and the location of it's axis, hence axis @ 056 (+cyl) and axis 146 (-cyl) along with the language accompanying it.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Back to the drawing board. In addition to some of the aforementioned you should restrict the data entry to valid numerical values only. One could enter an Rx of -357.57 +0.0004 X fubar.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    also have the answer key have a hide feature that way there's no cheating.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An optician should be able to sit down and compare rx's side by side with rx' s written in both plus and minus cylinder, without aid!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    transpose.zip

Hey all, I just finished a thing in excel for the office for the newbees. This will help them learn how to transpose rexesses. Im hoping to get some feedback from you all (because I like talking to people smarter then me) to see if it's back to the drawing board. This is an excel spread sheet that needs to be macro enabled. It has two buttons. One will randomize the axis and automatically calculates the correct answer in the answer key which, of course, can be hidden and the second will randomize the sphere and that will also be automatically calculated in the answer key, again which is hidden, if you want it to be. Its a fun toy and I like pressing buttons.

Thanks for taking a look

Im not sure if it attached it looks like it did.

well, let me know k thanks
    That would be great for making a written test and has the key included, I like it. I do have a suggestion though:

You're using a rocket launcher to swat a fly and by that I mean you are using a macro enabled workbook for a calculation that can be done with simple formulas in a regular excel workbook. I don't usually run macro's from untrusted files and many organizations won't allow it. I am attaching the same example without macro's and the same functionality. (notice even here on the board it can be uploaded without zipping the file first.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    That would be great for making a written test and has the key included, I like it. I do have a suggestion though:

You're using a rocket launcher to swat a fly and by that I mean you are using a macro enabled workbook for a calculation that can be done with simple formulas in a regular excel workbook. I don't usually run macro's from untrusted files and many organizations won't allow it. I am attaching the same example without macro's and the same functionality. (notice even here on the board it can be uploaded without zipping the file first.)
    Ah ha! I see what you mean. My boss gave me the task of writing a random RX generator to help explain this algebraic principle. I have a little excel experience and wanted to throw what I made against the fridge to see if it stuck ET VOILA ICI! Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the feedback given from everyone so thank you all very much and until next time, take care of yourself, and each other.
    Last edited by chaoticneutral; 12-09-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: no reason

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When you start writing VBA macros you can comfortably go from excel experience to saying full blown expert. Keep working those skills. ; )

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seems difficult to the new optician at first, learning to transpose. I used to dread getting the plus cyl Rx. When I realized I was transposing in my head, I got a good rush of adrenaline. Still working on reading in plus cyl in the lensometer. That just feels wrong.

Thread Information