Thread: N category

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

N category

I've got a patient that wants to get "the best" progressive out there. I've never put anyone in a N category lens because mostly we just do O category where I work. Does the Zeiss Individual 2 count as a N category through VSP. I know the Individual is but couldn't find any information on the two. Does anyone have any experience with the Physio Enchanced fit?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bta89 View Post
    I've got a patient that wants to get "the best" progressive out there. I've never put anyone in a N category lens because mostly we just do O category where I work. Does the Zeiss Individual 2 count as a N category through VSP. I know the Individual is but couldn't find any information on the two. Does anyone have any experience with the Physio Enchanced fit?
    Are you going to do the as worn measurements and is your pt's script enough that they would benefit from these types of lenses? I think pretty much all of the lenses in this category do a very good job IMHO. Individual 2 should be in there. Auto III is a great lense as well. I believe physio enhanced line is being replaced by the w3+ fit . Not 100% if vsp has it in the formulary yet...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the w3 is in there...

I love the individual 2I Huge wow factor for most that I fit with it. you def need to do the POW measurements though. and it too in in there for VSP

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To answer your question, both the Individual and the Individual 2 are category N lenses with VSP. The Physio Enhanced Fit is also an N, but I am reluctant to give my opinion about the lens because I'm afraid I may be a little biased. Essilor has yet to convince me that all of their 30 bajillion designs are any more than just a handful plastered with extra letters and numbers.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I fit Individual 2 all day every day with VSP. Individual should not be in use, at all, as it was lacking critical design principles when dealing with hyperopes, and has not been updated as additional data has poured in from various other technologies that zeiss has.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Otiboard!

Without the rx the "best" lens may or may not be the priciest.

If you search the Progressive lens forum you'll find many discussions from experts here who will tell you that some cat. O or even F will work just as well as compensated fit lenses.

My favorite take away when considering progressives is to think of the lenses as having 3 zones. Distance, intermediate and near. You can optimize one or two zones at the expense of the other(s).

I think it was Sharpstick who understands the white papers and categorizes them into T shape, hourglass, fountain and a couple others that I'll see if I can find the post...

Here's a great discussion from a couple of years ago-

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ountain+design
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-14-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: tweak...

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Without the rx the "best" lens may or may not be the priciest.
    Yup. I don't always use the most optimized/personalized PAL available; some folks that have simpler RXs and average fitting values won't see or feel the difference. We're ethically obliged to say it like it is, and act accordingly.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information