Thread: Another Essilor Takeover ............................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Another Essilor Takeover ............................

Press Release
    Essilor Acquires Professional Eyecare Resource Co-Operative/Infinity Vision Alliance

ECPs to benefit from combined resources offering innovative solutions and expanded business tools

11/10/2015 @ 9:56 PM | 42 views

Essilor announced today that it has acquired a majority interest in the Professional Eyecare Resource Co-Operative (PERC) and Infinity Vision Alliance (IVA), a group purchasing organization comprised of over 2400 independent eyecare practices in the United States. The principals of PERC/IVA and Essilor have enjoyed a successful partnership for more than 25 years, and are united in their support of independent optometry through innovation, partnership and choice.
    The alliance strives to achieve optimal value for its membership of more than 4000 doctors through engagement within a narrow and elite vendor channel.
    “By leveraging the expertise of PERC/IVA and the resources of Essilor, we will work together to accelerate growth in the eye care industry,” said Eric Leonard, President, Essilor of America. “This partnership advances our commitment to expanding innovation in the products and services we’re able to offer eyecare professionals, further enhancing their position in the industry.”
    PERC/IVA will continue to operate independently, led by their current leadership team, and its members will continue to have choice across all services and products.

About Essilor of America, Inc.
    Essilor is the leading manufacturer of optical lenses in the United States and is the market leader in progressive, high-index, photochromic and anti-reflective coated lenses. A pioneer in the development and production of ophthalmic lenses, Essilor employs more than 10,000 people throughout North America. Essilor manufactures optical lenses under the VARILUX®, CRIZAL®, TRANSITIONS®, XPERIO UV, DEFINITY®, THIN&LITE® and other Essilor brand names. Essilor Laboratories of America, Inc. is the largest, and most trusted, optical lab network in the U.S. and offers a wide choice of services and lens brands, including Essilor premium lenses, to eye care professionals across the nation. Essilor of America, Inc. (Essilor) is a subsidiary of Paris-based Essilor International, a publicly held company traded on the Euronext Paris stock exchange (Reuters: ESSI.PA).

About the Professional Eyecare Resource Co-Operative
    The Professional Eyecare Resource Co-Operative (PERC) functions as a group purchasing organization (GPO) and is comprised of many of the most successful independent eyecare practices in the United States. Based in Southern California, members work together to achieve value for the group as a whole. PERC is free to join, and members are not subject to monthly or annual fees. The co-operative model aligns PERC member practices with the nation's leading suppliers to secure top-tier pricing and access to greater resources that are not available to individual practices. Not only do members get group buying power and other professional services, they also get private access to a collaborative website where they can leverage the experience, knowledge and tools of their top-performing peers.

See all of it: ===========>
    http://news.essilorusa.com/releases/...nfinity-vision

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Does anyone know how PERC makes any money, or is a not-for-profit venture of some sort?

Occupation
    Ain't no such thing as a not-for-profit venture in the eye care vineyard. Yet another layer of third party involvement in the supply chain cheerfully taking a cut from all your transactions. But, hey, if you can save a few shekels . . .

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well if this is true: "PERC is free to join, and members are not subject to monthly or annual fees. The co-operative model aligns PERC member practices with the nation's leading suppliers to secure top-tier pricing and access to greater resources that are not available to individual practices."

then the only way I can see them making any money is by arranging big discounts and taking a significant chunk of those discounts for themselves. I seriously doubt the net savings to me would be as big as the discounts I'm becoming accustomed to getting (20-30%) on my own for major brands, more for unknown/minor brands, somewhat less for some high end exclusive brands.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper You get in for free, but maybe ........................

You get in for free, but maybe it cost's you plenty to leave, if ever you want that in the future.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    oooh, sounds a bit like the mafia...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many of the "free" buying groups have "favored" status to a group of vendors. You are supposed to use a certain line of labs, a preferred contact lens distributor, a certain optical goods supplier.. who in turn help subsidize the cost of operations. The operations are not as expensive as some because they aren't bankrolling the purchases. They simply are acting as an intermediary between vendors and provider offices. All billing is still direct between you and your vendor.

They also use the approach a lot of alliances use of the "rebate" so you need to show growth and commitment to certain brands in order to get the savings advertised. If you are willing to haggle yourself, chances are you can negotiate similar savings on your own. If your preferred list lines up with their's, or you are looking for a way to save on those lines you don't do enough with to have a firm negotiation platform on.. they might work for you..

The Power Hour actually had an interesting program about the different buying groups, how they work, their driving philosophies, and who benefits from what type of set up.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was in on the ground floor with PERC. the doctor I worked for at the time was the first non-founder to join. Don't know the specific model but it does work well for incredible discounts and incentives for member practices. The member practices have to be fairly large though. Increased buying power. It's always been aligned with Essilor and Coopervision from Day one.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubendol View Post
    I was in on the ground floor with PERC. the doctor I worked for at the time was the first non-founder to join. Don't know the specific model but it does work well for incredible discounts and incentives for member practices. The member practices have to be fairly large though. Increased buying power. It's always been aligned with Essilor and Coopervision from Day one.
    That alignment is a show stopper for me since I steer clear of both when I can.

Thread Information