Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking cap time. I need policy input.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Thinking cap time. I need policy input.

Simple Simon met a Pie Man, going to the fair.
    Said Simple Simon to the Pie Man:
    "Let me taste your wares."
    Said the Pie Man to Simple Simon:
    "Show me first your penny."
    "Can you write down the name of this pie on the back of your business card, and the price, while you're at it? I'll come back later."

OK, working on a comprehensive outside Rx "frame shopper" policy.

PARAMETERS:
    1. I'm willing to invest time in frame/lens "qualifying". That is, "Let's see your prescription." "What are you looking for in a frame?" "How are your current glasses?" That kind of stuff.

2. I'm willing to invest time in letting the shopper try on frames, giving them some guidance, maybe all the way up to a final frame decision.

3. I'm willing to take a general look at the shopper's Rx and give them a general idea of the cost of lenses and add-ons.

4. What I'm not willing to do is to pay my optician for a half hour of time for someone who doesn't really have any intention of using our optical services for anything other than a bargaining chip with their doctor's office or Heaven forbid go online (showrooming).

POLICY:
    So here's what I have so far:
    1. Shopper is never allowed to write down frame name
    2. We are never to provide a frame name or any information to a shopper
    3. Shopper MAY NOT take pictures of products themselves (unless they're trying to see themselves in it).
    4. If shopper wishes to retain the favorite frames shopped, we can write down OUR INTERNAL product code from the tag on a business card.
    5. OK to provide price/ estimate

So what am I missing? Let's collaborate!

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need a list of consequences for policy violations:
    1)Break fingers
    2)Break phones/cameras
    3)Yell "no frames for you!" in a soup Nazi voice
    4)Tell them "you really didn't look that good in that frame now that I think about it..."
    5) Tell them "if you walk out of that door....I'm never taking you back... I mean it this time"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We miss you, Borysko. He'd know what to do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.Low hanging fruit: Avoid easy access to frames. This can be accomplished by strategic access points, controlling access by "occupation by others at the moment", and hand holding supervision tactics.

More later! Gotta earn some uncut points.....................!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put a big ole sign in your front window that says:
    DO NOT COME IN IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF BUYING HERE!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell outside RX patients that they need to schedule an appointment to do a frame selection. Have them pay an upfront "looking fee" that is refunded upon purchase of eyewear. When they come to their eyewear selection appointment, request their cell phone be left at the front desk due to a touchy piece of equipment used for medical procedures might be affected. Or use a vague "privacy policy out of respect for other patients" type of explanation. Don't quote money prices as you go along. Just color code frame and lens packages and tell the "looker" they are in "banana" pricing, or "cherry" level pricing. If they ask how your fruit compares to Wal-mart pricing, tell them you never shop for produce at Wal-mart. When the final price is decided, simply slide them the number on a piece of paper upside down across the desk. Once they see it, ask for the paper back. If they choose not to purchase from you tell them the frame and lens information has been recorded in your records if they choose to come back. If they try to take the piece of paper tell them this message will self destruct in one minute, grab the paper out of the hands and run to a facet and quickly wet it until the ink bleeds and the price quote is undecipherable. Now when they come back they have to pay the "looker" fee again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You guys can't possibly be serious. I can honestly say if someone treated me or anyone else I know like this when looking at frames, they'd all go somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Put a big ole sign in your front window that says: DO NOT COME IN IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF BUYING HERE!
    That's really the most honest way to handle it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frame is assitaste, it look both good and smell ont yute. If yute doesn't buy it now fine but yute have the exit fee to pay furst then leave. If yute vequire z photo, tree yer olt newphew to draw de picture oft yute an ze frame on. It vil cost for dat. Take photo oft yuteself vit frame on and brother gun down you, like Russian rabbit in fish barrel or wife chew off picture finger. Cold Vinter und meat come by hard. May perhaps she chew off more finger for soup. Or do like zee KGB und keep file on all who come in and near office. Ven wife in kitchen prego with the no shoes or feet glove cooking finger soup, dogs good distraction but must keept hungry to patrol office. Or ask Borysko, me I fear him answer not soft heart like me.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    2) Lead.....don't follow. They must qualify in order to access your expertise in custom eyewear production.

Anecdotally, don't even try to take a photo in an upscale design clothier......you will be unceremoniously banned. Your phone may accidentally meet it's demise.
    Eyes wide open

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make them feel like their missing something, by not buying. Whether it's missing the interaction with the cute receptionist (in our case, it's the "cute" 50ish, guy optician), or a frame that they haven't seen anywhere else, or the ability to get them faster and "righter" than anywhere else, it's got to be SOMETHING that makes them want to stay. Why do you pay more for a haircut at your favorite barber? What makes him/her the "favorite"?

The one thing we have done since day one, is item #4 on your policy list.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    3) Staff policy: empowering.

Employees need clear direction about helping people and should be encouraged to help and hover. This not only creates attention appreciating clientele, but fosters a "we give a ----" atmosphere.

This also eliminates the five-finger discount crowd.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Welcome to the new age of eye care. Close practice. Open massage parlor. Never look back.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    POLICY:

3. Shopper MAY NOT take pictures of products themselves (unless they're trying to see themselves in it).

So can they send selfies to their friends/loved ones/family members to get their opinion?

4. If shopper wishes to retain the favorite frames shopped, we can write down OUR INTERNAL product code from the tag on a business card.

We always ask "do you want to save the ones you liked in your file?" that always weeds out the ones that are genuine about buying here or want the frame info to shop around.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Make them feel like their missing something, by not buying. Whether it's missing the interaction with the cute receptionist (in our case, it's the "cute" 50ish, guy optician), or a frame that they haven't seen anywhere else, or the ability to get them faster and "righter" than anywhere else, it's got to be SOMETHING that makes them want to stay. Why do you pay more for a haircut at your favorite barber? What makes him/her the "favorite"?

The one thing we have done since day one, is item #4 on your policy list.
    Johns......who is the cute 50ish guy optician in your store?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns, good point about being cute, I rarely have a patient walk out after they meet our optician.

Seriously, I still believe you draw more bees with honey than vinager. True story , I sometimes put spare parts on broken frames when a patient won't purchase. This was a no-no when I worked retail. No parts.or patients won't purchase. I had an elderly lady purchase eyewear from me and she took the time to tell me that I changed her life by putting a temple on years back when she had no money. I didn't remember her, but she remembered me. She said she saved up her money and gave me her business due to my kindness. Not retail chain or online. I'm still old fashion. We sell ourselves, not product. They can get glasses anywhere, but not us.
    Last edited by smallworld; 11-23-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of these just make me laugh. Are you really that insecure with your own abilities? Today, you can buy almost anything on line, commodities, make it more then that. You can buy " glasses" anywhere, you can only get your professionally fit quality Eyewear from me.

Sometimes I can't understand why so many do join the race to the bottom, instead of worrying about what they should do, employee or not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Btw...I was trying to make people laugh..but if you have to explain the joke....well...

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Btw...I was trying to make people laugh..but if you have to explain the joke....well...
    Have you seen the media recently? Its a sad world when the satirical stories are just as believable as the real ones.

That aside, I'm a big supporter of "Aggressive Hospitality." Oh course not every customer appreciates the skill set that I bring to picking out a frame but they can deal with it in my opinion. It's also a great way to stamp out theft! Extra rules like "No Pictures" and "No Price Quotes" will just scare people away, but a steady, smiling, and guiding hand can do wonders without offending too many.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Charge a frame purchase consulting fee ........................

Charge a frame purchase consulting fee of $ 50.00, for the first up to 30 minutes of your time, payable out front and deductible from the actual purchase price.

This way the serious buyer won't mind as it is going to cost him/her nothing at the end, while the non serious looker will walk out right away, or have to pay up.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    POLICY:

Why don't you sell frames that are not found online? There are a lot of beautiful frame brands out there. Why don't you try to differentiate yourself from your competitors in a positive and creative way? By being so restrictive you are killing the shoppers experience and proving them right to buy online. Not a clever way to cover up your weakness and insecurity.

I hope you forget about this stupid reactionary policy and start thinking about possibilities instead of restrictions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Simple Simon met a Pie Man, going to the fair.
    "Let me taste your wares."
    Said the Pie Man to Simple Simon:
    "Show me first your penny."
    "Can you write down the name of this pie on the back of your business card, and the price, while you're at it? I'll come back later."

OK, working on a comprehensive outside Rx "frame shopper" policy.

PARAMETERS:
    1. I'm willing to invest time in frame/lens "qualifying". That is, "Let's see your prescription." "What are you looking for in a frame?" "How are your current glasses?" That kind of stuff.

2. I'm willing to invest time in letting the shopper try on frames, giving them some guidance, maybe all the way up to a final frame decision.

3. I'm willing to take a general look at the shopper's Rx and give them a general idea of the cost of lenses and add-ons.

4. What I'm not willing to do is to pay my optician for a half hour of time for someone who doesn't really have any intention of using our optical services for anything other than a bargaining chip with their doctor's office or Heaven forbid go online (showrooming).

POLICY:

Holy Crap!!! Seriously???

Fire your Optician or whoever is managing your boards. Someone is not getting the correct message across to patients if you can't convert them. I know I'm not perfect at capturing patients, but it doesn't take long to capture most patients if I have a great selection of frames and can talk competently about modern lens technologies and demonstrate the benefits they provide.

Something is going awry in your practice, and it isn't the patient's shopping habit.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    POLICY:

So what am I missing? Let's collaborate![/QUOTE]

As an O.D. who's always had our frames up front where they are easily shopped, shop lifted, etc., and now in a mall envirionment where theft (both physical and intellectual, as in netsters), I feel very qualified to talk about this. What I've come up with is very simple.

1. No unassisted frame browsing. And by assisted, I mean every person must be stuck to like glue, and when they object with the famous "I know what I want, I don't need any help" our answer is a firm "Yes you do, it's our policy". All but the most hardened thiefs will turn and walk away. Very few real patients will mind, and most learn to like the help our staff can give. We also have a nice rope off when it gets crowded and we run out of staff. We tell additional lookers to please wait or come back later, the dispensary is full right now. This policy is posted on an outside window and on my web site.

2. We always ask if there is a particular brand or price range they are interested in. If they answer no, we ask what is the highest price they would pay for a frame. If it's still no, we stick like superglue to them. A few of those will buy our best frames. If they say "Prada" or "Wayfarer" we politely tell them those are Lenscrafter brands, and we carry none of theirs, just as they carry none of ours. If they answer some amount under $100 or so, and don't have vision insurance, we politely tell them "We have a few discontinued frames in the back I can show you, but all of our frames on display are above that price point.

3. We allow selfies only, no photos of the insides of temples especially. I once had to call the cops and have an attorney tossed out of my place who refused to stop taking pictures and wouldn't leave! The mother of all netsters. I used to have my personal sku on adhesive covering the frame name and manufacturer, but got out of that habit in favor of writing it on the demo lens. I am seriously thinking about going back to that system. Needless to say, we do not divulge frame names to anyone but are happy to share our own sku with them.

4. We have about half our frames in locking cabinets right now, and I'm planning to put them all under glass.

5. We always ask about insurance coverage and if they have a current Rx. Often that brings out the plano sunglass shoppers, and sometimes we gain a walkin exam on the spot. If we're busy and they "forgot" their Rx, we ask them to please come back with the Rx because many frames will not accommodate some Rxs.

6. I'm working right now on a little smartphone survey that captures shoppers names and either e-mail or phone number so we can put them in our database with notes about their visit and any frames they "like", and track future visits. Shoppers will not be allowed past the front desk if they fail to register. Sorry, it's our policy.

7. I am also going to put a note at the bottom of all outgoing spectacle Rxs: Our office charges $35 for any and every adjustment of each frame not purchased from us, and we assume no liability from such adjustment. We also charge $35 to check the optics of any lenses not purchased from us.

Our policies have caused a few negative yelps, but I consider those badges of honor and always remark that the yelper did not purchase anything from us, and probably had no intention of doing so, so we are actually glad they won't be returning to our practice to waste our time again.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 11-25-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Why don't you sell frames that are not found online? There are a lot of beautiful frame brands out there. Why don't you try to differentiate yourself from your competitors in a positive and creative way? By being so restrictive you are killing the shoppers experience and proving them right to buy online. Not a clever way to cover up your weakness and insecurity.

I hope you forget about this stupid reactionary policy and start thinking about possibilities instead of restrictions.
    I try as much as possible to sell stuff that either isn't available online or costs online about what I charge. As Dirk said, there are lots of frames not available online.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like your intentions are good with what you've listed. Hospitality is key, so the more you can make people FEEL welcomed (even if they have to wait), I think you've got a good grasp on things.

The only other question I'd be curious about is what level of products you are providing. If you are busy to the point of roping off the dispensary, then you might be working in mid level product which has you being too busy to provide the desired level of care. Perhaps higher end product, with higher prices, may reduce your traffic, increase profit margins, and allow you to provide a higher level of customer care.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    (answer to Jefe)

You never know when one of your favorite brands goes on line, or pops up at Costco. Actually I have more trouble with patients from other O.D. offices who come in and shop my frames for purchase from their doc. They know my selection is way better than his. These are often the biggest time wasters and they will do it again and again, unless I can track them and stop them next time. First time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 11-25-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Thread Information