Thread: R & R Optical Hamilton Closing

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

R & R Optical Hamilton Closing

After many years in business E owned R&R Optical in Hamilton (recently moved to Stoney Creek) is closing at the end of next week.
    This move came after only one year after manager Gary Ferguson retired. The lab was overseen by a manager that also was managing OPSG in London for E. I wonder why a lab that was doing 200 plus jobs a day and was profitable all of a sudden was closed and the only thing that changed was the manager? Makes you want to go hmmmmmmm....particularly when OPSG doesn't do close to the volume that R&R was doing.

Wishing good wishes to all the staff at R&R that are displaced.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper If you would follow the international scene ...................

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

Makes you want to go hmmmmmmm....particularly when OPSG doesn't do close to the volume that R&R was doing.

If you would follow the international scene you could guess what is happening.

The large corporations are consolidating their service part into a few mega labs. The labs get fewer, larger and away from each other. There is nothing you or anybody else can do about it.
    The small independent ones get bought up or starved to death and then closed down.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

The large corporations are consolidating their service part into a few mega labs. The labs get fewer, larger and away from each other. There is nothing you or anybody else can do about it.
    The small independent ones get bought up or starved to death and then closed down.
    Chris....I realize that rationalization is happening but why close a lab under your corporate umbrella that does over 200 jobs a day a
    and keep one open that does 50?
    It doesn't make business sense to me.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because they don't want to own the business. They want to shut it down to eliminate competition.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    After many years in business E owned R&R Optical in Hamilton (recently moved to Stoney Creek) is closing at the end of next week.
    This move came after only one year after manager Gary Ferguson retired. The lab was overseen by a manager that also was managing OPSG in London for E. I wonder why a lab that was doing 200 plus jobs a day and was profitable all of a sudden was closed and the only thing that changed was the manager? Makes you want to go hmmmmmmm....particularly when OPSG doesn't do close to the volume that R&R was doing.

It's real simple...cost reduction and business consolidation...they can transfer the business to the Toronto lab which is 45 minutes down the highway. Whether or not the clients remain after employees are cut is anyone's guess. Some stay, some go.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Because they don't want to own the business. They want to shut it down to eliminate competition.
    It's not competition when they already own it. Just too small to continue to operate on their large scale.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

How many small labs are there left for them to acquire Chris?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    It's not competition when they already own it. Just too small to continue to operate on their large scale.
    Lab Insight.....I get your post but Help me understand why they would close Hamilton and keep a dinky lab in London that does 20% of the volume that Hamilton did?
    From what I hear it was a hatchet job from the get go.
    Closed Hamilton try to divert volume to London to try and save London lab's ***.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper labs got closed and have been replaced by these monster outfits

Lab Insight.....I get your post but Help me understand why they would close Hamilton and keep a dinky lab in London that does 20% of the volume that Hamilton did?
    Closed Hamilton try to divert volume to London to try and save London lab's ***.

In Europe many labs got closed and have been replaced by these monster outfits with the latest equipment.

For example Shamir has 2 labs I know of, one in Eastern Europe and one in Portugal. Both are areas where salaries are lower than elsewhere.

Just watch what is going to happen here in Canada over the next few years.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Although smaller, London market potential is much larger and in a geographical location that's not as close as Hamilton is to Etobicoke.

That's for the time being. Perhaps they will have the same result? I've heard through the grapevine they're down to a skeleton crew already and removed the surfacing equipment to Toronto.

That's usually the first step of the process of downsizing without risking loss of clients by a total fast closure.

To my knowledge, the Stoney Creek location was only opened for around 8 months.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Although smaller, London market potential is much larger and in a geographical location that's not as close as Hamilton is to Etobicoke.

That's for the time being. Perhaps they will have the same result? I've heard through the grapevine they're down to a skeleton crew already and removed the surfacing equipment to Toronto.

That's usually the first step of the process of downsizing without risking loss of clients by a total fast closure.

To my knowledge, the Stoney Creek location was only opened for around 8 months.
    Agreed!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Im guessing their lease was up on that location....so they decided to not renew and close it

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    Im guessing their lease was up on that location....so they decided to not renew and close it
    They moved the lab to Stoney Creek less than a year ago so the lease didn't factor into the decision.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With all the rationalization in E's lab system, can the closing of OPSG in London be far behind?
    They ended up with the "runt of the litter" accounts in both quality and in numbers from R&R Hamilton.
    Tick. tock, tick, tock.....................

Thread Information