Thread: Cracks in Coating (Not Scratches at All) Poly only

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Cracks in Coating (Not Scratches at All) Poly only

Suddenly we are having trouble with cracks in the hard coating, poly only. First we thought they were deep scratches. Closer examination we see they are cracks. Anyone else? Solutions? Suggestions?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Poly is a very soft material.................

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Suddenly we are having trouble with cracks in the hard coating, poly only. First we thought they were deep scratches. Closer examination we see they are cracks. Anyone else? Solutions? Suggestions?

Poly is a very soft material. The protective hard coat is a harder material and the AR coating is the hardest of all of them because it is made with SIO2 which is glass.

So most probably the lenses have been subject to some pressure due to cold, or movement and these different layers did not move along with the lens surface and cracked.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Heat can do it if they also have a cheap AR coating. I've learned to remove the lenses when adjusting the frame with heat if the AR brand is unknown or suspect.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If they are hapening in the poly hard coat and not an AR coat on the poly my guess would be heat. Either at insertion after edging or someone adjusting the frame and using the frame warmer too long with the lenses in the frame. That or the lab you are ordering them from is having issues with their hard coating process.
    Pez:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Too much pressure during edging, heat, stress; lens BC doesn't coincide with frame BC, warpage; cut too big for the frame, foundation coating, bad lenses, and we can go on and on. Question is too vague to pin point.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Heat can do it if they also have a cheap AR coating .....................

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post

Heat can do it if they also have a cheap AR coating. I've learned to remove the lenses when adjusting the frame with heat if the AR brand is unknown or suspect.

Cheap or expensive coating, they all have the same basic main ingredient, SIO2 which is glass which does not expand under heat as does the plastic.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Cheap or expensive coating, they all have the same basic main ingredient, SIO2 which is glass which does not expand under heat as does the plastic.
    Following your logic, all chocolate chip cookies are the same. They all have flour, egg, fat(butter, shortening, margarine), salt, raising agent, chocolate chips. Same basic ingredients, however, not all chocolate chip cookies are the same. They fall into three basic categories: delicious, OK, and inedible.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Actually the basic ingredient of cookies is the flour .....................

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post

Following your logic, all chocolate chip cookies are the same. They all have flour, egg, fat(butter, shortening, margarine), salt, raising agent, chocolate chips. Same basic ingredients, however, not all chocolate chip cookies are the same. They fall into three basic categories: delicious, OK, and inedible.
    Actually the basic ingredient of cookies is the flour and depending the additives you put in they become different cookies.

The flour in AR coatings is the layer of SIO2 according to what I Learned, and the additives are different oxides to make it better cookies to you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, we're talking chocolate chip cookies, a very specific cookie. Not all AR's or cookies are the same. Now dip that in your glass of milk.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 11-18-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Occupation
    Speaking of Dip, Is it?

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Instead of hi-jacking the original thread, maybe someone could start a "Cookie Recipe" thread?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Instead of hi-jacking the original thread, maybe someone could start a "Cookie Recipe" thread?
    If you want my grandma's oatmeal recipe PM me, she calls for polycarbonate but I substitute for Trivex don't use AR as heat will cause the cookies to craze. Normally I would recommend a good beer for dipping but the coarse of the thread would have me substitute the cookies for more beer. PM me for my grandpa's beer recipe.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who Framed Roger???

Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Speaking of Dip, Is it?
    Ironically it's made of turpentine, acetone and benzine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Is this happening on all poly or just lab processed poly and not stock poly lenses? If these are coming from lab processed poly it may be a bad batch of coating. $0.02.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Here are most of the ingredients of many coating recipes: ...................

Here are most of the ingredients of many coating recipes:

Re:Sputtering Targets to Chemical Nano TechnologyTo

l High Purity Metals(W 99.9999%, Mo99.99%, Ta 99.995%, Nb 99.99%, Ti99.999%, Zr 99.95%,Ni99.999% Cu99.9999%,Al99.9999%etc.)

l Pure Metals (W, Mo, Ta, Nb, Ti, Zr, Hf, Ni, Al, Co, Cu etc.)

l Alloys (Mo-Nb, Mo-Ta, Al-Nb, Ti-Al, Si-Al, Al-Cr, Ti-Nb, Nb-Zr, Ni-Cu, Ni-Cr, Ni-V, etc.)

l Ceramic (SiO2, Al2O3, Nb2Ox, Ta2O5, WO3, VO2, V2O5, TiO2,Ti3O5, MoS2, ZrO2, HfO2, ZnO, AZO, ITO, etc.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    First of all, please check if these cracks are on both sides or only on one side, and in that case, which one...

Thread Information