Thread: More great news from Luxottica

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More great news from Luxottica

500 LensCrafters to open in Macy's stores
    The Associated Press
    AP Nov 11th 2015 8:44AM

MILAN (AP) — The world's largest eyeglass maker has signed a deal with the U.S. department store chain Macy's to open up to 500 LensCrafters optical retail centers inside Macy's.

Macy's and Luxottica already have a deal that has put 670 Sunglass Hut's in Macy's department stores, with the number tripling in the last six years. The companies said in a joint release that the latest deal builds on that "successful relationship."

The first LensCrafters will open at a Macy's location by April, with 100 slated to open by the end of the year.

Luxottica's chief of markets, Adil Khan, said the optical industry "has incredible growth potential in North America."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    500 LensCrafters to open in Macy's stores
    The Associated Press
    AP Nov 11th 2015 8:44AM

MILAN (AP) — The world's largest eyeglass maker has signed a deal with the U.S. department store chain Macy's to open up to 500 LensCrafters optical retail centers inside Macy's.

Macy's and Luxottica already have a deal that has put 670 Sunglass Hut's in Macy's department stores, with the number tripling in the last six years. The companies said in a joint release that the latest deal builds on that "successful relationship."

The first LensCrafters will open at a Macy's location by April, with 100 slated to open by the end of the year.

Luxottica's chief of markets, Adil Khan, said the optical industry "has incredible growth potential in North America."
    This is obviously more than just rent revenue for Macy's...I'm curious what their cut is as I'm sure it's a royalty off the top line.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so if I apply there I can work with the beautiful make-up and perfume girls? *turns in resume*

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    so if I apply there I can work with the beautiful make-up and perfume girls? *turns in resume*
    Until you realize those same girls only look and smell so good because of 10 pounds of makeup and a half gallon of perfume they wear
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or until LC hires them as "frame stylists" and you're out of a job.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A couple of questions I have:

Are they going to install these inside of Macy's that are in the same location or near an existing LC?

I doubt Macy's is going to allow them to install a full lab inside of their stores. If that's the case, what if a customer wants glasses same day? Will it just be sent to a nearby LC that has a lab to process the order, increasing that stores workload? Or will they send everything out to their labs in Dallas, etc to process?
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    A couple of questions I have:

Are they going to install these inside of Macy's that are in the same location or near an existing LC?

I doubt Macy's is going to allow them to install a full lab inside of their stores. If that's the case, what if a customer wants glasses same day? Will it just be sent to a nearby LC that has a lab to process the order, increasing that stores workload? Or will they send everything out to their labs in Dallas, etc to process?
    I'm guessing they are going to be their "lenscrafters Optique" like they have on K street in DC. They lean on the traditional lenscrafter labs for their processing (just like Pearls do)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no clue what their plan is. Our local mall has a Macy's and LC is right next door to it, has been for years.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I have no clue what their plan is. Our local mall has a Macy's and LC is right next door to it, has been for years.
    I think there are quite a few malls across america with an LC and a Macy's in them, you are right.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! I read that wrong! For a minute I thought I saw that they were going to allow more hot dog vendors to set up outside of the hospitals!! Now THAT might have had some impact on my business. This, not so much.

It gets to the point where it wouldn't really make a difference to me how many more LUX stores there were, what would it matter...really? If someone wants to shop at one of their outlets, do you think they are sitting at home, in front of their TVs saying, "Finally Gertrude! They FINALLY have an optical in Macy's, so we'll never have to go to that Johns guy again! "

I'm not seeing the big issue here...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Wow! I read that wrong! For a minute I thought I saw that they were going to allow more hot dog vendors to set up outside of the hospitals!! Now THAT might have had some impact on my business. This, not so much.

It gets to the point where it wouldn't really make a difference to me how many more LUX stores there were, what would it matter...really? If someone wants to shop at one of their outlets, do you think they are sitting at home, in front of their TVs saying, "Finally Gertrude! They FINALLY have an optical in Macy's, so we'll never have to go to that Johns guy again! "

I'm not seeing the big issue here...
    No one said it was a big issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not so much a big issue. Just more of me questioning the reasoning behind the expansion and how they are going to pull it off. If they want to put an LC inside of Macy's, by all means go for it. The closest Macys or LC to me is roughly 15 miles away & the LC that was in this area was closed down a couple of years ago.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the next step is for Lux to go on Macys.com. It will be quite a step for them!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Until you realize those same girls only look and smell so good because of 10 pounds of makeup and a half gallon of perfume they wear

lol you nailed it right on the head.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper This is obviously more than just rent revenue ......................

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

This is obviously more than just rent revenue for Macy's...I'm curious what their cut is as I'm sure it's a royalty off the top line.

No problem for LUX as they sell direct and the product does not have to go through a series of distributors who also have to make a living

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if they opened the first store yet!
    Anybody?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I wonder if they opened the first store yet!
    Anybody?
    They are closing Macy stores around us. Not what I'd call a good move for Lux....

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/11/news...ys-dead-malls/

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone know how much LC gets for a pair of nose pads?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper anyone know how much LC gets for a pair of nose pads?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Anyone know how much LC gets for a pair of nose pads?
    posted on the web back in 2009:

Lenscrafters - Charged for nose pad replacements
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    Dec 23, 2009
    5 comments

I purchased my eyeglasses from Lencrafters, Camp Creek Market Place, Fast Point, GA. I returned to Lencrafters, the same store the purchase was made, and ask for my nose pads to be replaced. They did replace but charged me $10 plus. That was several months past.
    Today, I visited Pearle Vision and ask for nose pad replacements. Pearle Vision replaced the pads without a charge and did not even ask where I purchased my eyeglasses.
    Lenscrafters have lost a customer.
    P.S.
    Pearle Vision did my eye exam and wrote the prescription that I took to Lens Crafters to purchase the eye glasses.

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 05-15-2016 at 06:00 AM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    posted on the web back in 2009:

Lenscrafters - Charged for nose pad replacements
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    Dec 23, 2009
    5 comments

I purchased my eyeglasses from Lencrafters, Camp Creek Market Place, Fast Point, GA. I returned to Lencrafters, the same store the purchase was made, and ask for my nose pads to be replaced. They did replace but charged me $10 plus. That was several months past.
    Today, I visited Pearle Vision and ask for nose pad replacements. Pearle Vision replaced the pads without a charge and did not even ask where I purchased my eyeglasses.
    Lenscrafters have lost a customer.
    P.S.
    Pearle Vision did my eye exam and wrote the prescription that I took to Lens Crafters to purchase the eye glasses.

How coincidental. Yesterday I adjusted a new pair of Ray-Bans from LC, charged her 10 bucks for my 60 seconds of expertise. LC is about 200 yards from my office. She was happy as a clam.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post

How coincidental. Yesterday I adjusted a new pair of Ray-Bans from LC, charged her 10 bucks for my 60 seconds of expertise. LC is about 200 yards from my office. She was happy as a clam.

That is the way it should be. In the old days an opticians selling prices also included service for all eternity.

These days were the on-liners are producing more and more, thanks to a new recession, that is supposed to last another 3-to 4 years, opticians should charge to adjust glasses that were not sold in their store.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That is the way it should be. In the old days an opticians selling prices also included service for all eternity.

These days were the on-liners are producing more and more, thanks to a new recession, that is supposed to last another 3-to 4 years, opticians should charge to adjust glasses that were not sold in their store.
    What a shame...Lux lost a customer from LC, and they gained one at Pearl. Tragic!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes to charging for optician services.

Yes to including a lifetime of service when purchased at your optical.

Chris is right, there may come a day where there is need for optical services sans optical sales.

Car dealer with a service department.
    Mechanic only that sells some stuff like tires, mufflers, and transmission filters.

Be the dealer, but accept the mechanic's work.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Macy's like most department stores are hurting for business. I read an article a few weeks ago that many department stores are closing hundreds of locations across the nation- which is dramatically affecting the malls that the department stores flank. Many malls are frantically trying to get movies theaters to fill the spaces that were once occupied by the department stores. If they are unable to fill the empty spaces, many of the malls are folding. This sounds like a desperate attempt on Macy's part to stay afloat. When Macy's folds LC will sink with the ship.
    I try not to panic at the changing optical field. I've been around long enough to know that there's room for everyone. The need for glasses is increasing exponentially.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just came across a classified for LensCrafters inside a Macy's. I'm assuming they are getting closer to opening.

Thread Information