Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety frames z87-s stamped on the frame

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Safety frames z87-s stamped on the frame

Would you put no Safety lens into a frame that has a stap on it ao safety z87-2 I do not think we should but I was told the the pt retired and is not going to be using them as safy glasses.
    What would you do? What are the laws for frames that have that stamp?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would appease the safety gods..........and simply have a fresh pair of safety lenses installed. Win/win!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Z87 Stamp = Z87 Lenses!!

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with the above.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You can decertify the frame by filing the stamp off. All the stamp means is they meet Z87.1 or 2 safety standards. That way if the patient likes the style you can sell the frame as a dress pair. Document in patients file the decertification so if warranty work needs to be done any replacements are also decertified.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    You can decertify the frame by filing the stamp off. All the stamp means is they meet Z87.1 or 2 safety standards. That way if the patient likes the style you can sell the frame as a dress pair. Document in patients file the decertification so if warranty work needs to be done any replacements are also decertified.
    +1, remove Z 87, and put a set of non safety lenses in the frame. Document the action and have the patient acknowledge by signing a statement and agreeing to it.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Personally I would not risk a lawsuit in the future by filing anything, removing anything, having a patient sign anything or in summary doing anything outside of the safety standards. Accidents are a thing of the past; someone gets hurt down the road and it may very well come back to bite you. Way too many sue happy people these days to risk it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    +1, remove Z 87, and put a set of non safety lenses in the frame. Document the action and have the patient acknowledge by signing a statement and agreeing to it.
    NO, just no.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    Personally I would not risk a lawsuit in the future by filing anything, removing anything, having a patient sign anything or in summary doing anything outside of the safety standards. Accidents are a thing of the past; someone gets hurt down the road and it may very well come back to bite you. Way too many sue happy people these days to risk it.
    I agree 100%. I had a lawyer friend tell me you can never sign away your right to sue.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've always been told, "Safety frame? Safety lenses." No exceptions.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks I am thinking the same way safety frame safety lens. I know I read that some where but can not find it does anyone have anything on this?

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Safety frame, safety lenses. Do not want safety lenses, do not pick a safety frame. Easy
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is a pt frame that wanted new lens should be safety lens but the opt. sold a gt2 poly but not safety lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I've always been told, "Safety frame? Safety lenses." No exceptions.
    same here. Agree 100%

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just got word from are lab that a safety frame needs safety lens. They are remaking the lens for that pt

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look folks, someone walks into your Optical produces a frame that you think might be a Safety frame but there is no visible stamp you can read. It is no longer a safety frame, you can not put a safety (Z 87) lens into that frame. Whether time or someone else removes the stamp it is no longer a Z 87 and can not receive safety (Z 87) lenses. As to someone suing, if the gum dispenser in front of your building doesn't offer sugar-free, they can sue.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    C'mon folks it a stamp that simply states the frame meets certain criteria, it does not infuse the frame with safety molecules.........

Has anyone around here been successfully been sued over something like this, I can certainly understand being "gun shy" if so. They are specs. not controlled substances. Please don't tell me you haven't modified a frame to accomplish the end goal.... Are some of your offices sandwiched between two law offices....
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    C'mon folks it a stamp that simply states the frame meets certain criteria, it does not infuse the frame with safety molecules.........

Has anyone around here been successfully been sued over something like this, I can certainly understand being "gun shy" if so. They are specs. not controlled substances. Please don't tell me you haven't modified a frame to accomplish the end goal.... Are some of your offices sandwiched between two law offices....
    No safety molecules but designed and made with safety standards.
    Not sued and not wanting to ever tempt fate. Just the process of defending one's self can be a monumental cost. Why push your luck for a few bucks, safety frames made to safety standards and safety lenses, again made to safety standards. Sounds simple doesn't it!!!
    I have also never modified a safety frame.
    And don't ya know Lawyers are all over the place; even on tv advertising who you can sue. Who knows the next lawyer commercial may ask "Have you ever been sold a standard pair of lenses into your old safety frames. You may be entitled to a cash settlement. Just call ...................
    Seriously, better safe than sorry. Safety means safety.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you remove all z.87 markings it is not a safety frame. I do this all the time.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    If you remove all z.87 markings it is not a safety frame. I do this all the time.
    just because you remove the stamp does not make the frame a non safety frame you are just asking for it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    No safety molecules but designed and made with safety standards.
    Not sued and not wanting to ever tempt fate. Just the process of defending one's self can be a monumental cost. Why push your luck for a few bucks, safety frames made to safety standards and safety lenses, again made to safety standards. Sounds simple doesn't it!!!
    I have also never modified a safety frame.
    And don't ya know Lawyers are all over the place; even on tv advertising who you can sue. Who knows the next lawyer commercial may ask "Have you ever been sold a standard pair of lenses into your old safety frames. You may be entitled to a cash settlement. Just call ...................
    Seriously, better safe than sorry. Safety means safety.
    +1 lol

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    just because you remove the stamp does not make the frame a non safety frame you are just asking for it.
    Actually, it does. If you were to read the requirements for Safety(Z87 1,2) the frame has to be clearly marked. If there are no Z 87 markings on the frame it is no longer considered a "safety frame" and can not have Z 87 marked lenses in it. It's just that simple.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    And I ask you sir, Why?

I have a box of old unused safety frames that nobody would use for safety anymore, I file off any and all markings saying it is a safety frame, and voila! it is a bunch of Vintage Looking Eyewear, complete with floral filigre and all!

Why in the WORLD would I not sell these frames? Who could argue that they were safety frames when there are NO MARKINGS on them saying they are?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    And I ask you sir, Why?

I have a box of old unused safety frames that nobody would use for safety anymore, I file off any and all markings saying it is a safety frame, and voila! it is a bunch of Vintage Looking Eyewear, complete with floral filigre and all!

Why in the WORLD would I not sell these frames? Who could argue that they were safety frames when there are NO MARKINGS on them saying they are?
    Does it say that you can remove the mark from the frame? The frame that the pt has is a metal frame and will never come off in till I send it your way. hahaha.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Would one of you please post the documentation that says you can't take the markings from a z.87 marked frame and use that frame for non safety glasses. I can't seem to find that anywhere.
    Last edited by CME4SPECS; 11-05-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Thread Information