Thread: Lab Equipment Questions

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Lab Equipment Questions

What surfacing equipment does everyone use?

We use Gerber's Step One/SGX/finer/polisher system which was bought new in 1999. The step one and polisher have given us some problems over the past few years, but the Doc said all this stuff is paid for and he'd like to keep it that way for as long as he could. I guess paying for a tech to come out if need be is cheaper than spending a quarter million dollars on a whole new lab! We currently only surface CR-39, but have a Kappa tracer/edger for finishing.

If it came down to replacing our lab equipment, what would be a suitable replacement?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Optronics 2G and any cyl machine, 2G is worth 10K, Cyl machines are about 2K a piece and manual wax blocker is under 1K if you want to replace the step1 you'll need that and a AIT marker blocker at about $500.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Invest in some spare parts and training. Buy or acquire the service manuals.

I run old Flo-Bob (remember them?) surfacers (which use Coburn 501 parts). My generator is an old Gerber Coburn Vector and the backup genny is a Coburn 113-HW. My edgers are WECO ZET-90 with a 3d tracer and layout blocker.

If the doc wants to keep older machines running in top form, it requires parts and manuals and evenings/weekends.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have an old 108 in my garage I would like to get rid of...any thoughts, scrap it? I don't think anyone wants this very large machine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by colem84 View Post
    What surfacing equipment does everyone use?

We use Gerber's Step One/SGX/finer/polisher system which was bought new in 1999. The step one and polisher have given us some problems over the past few years, but the Doc said all this stuff is paid for and he'd like to keep it that way for as long as he could. I guess paying for a tech to come out if need be is cheaper than spending a quarter million dollars on a whole new lab! We currently only surface CR-39, but have a Kappa tracer/edger for finishing.

If it came down to replacing our lab equipment, what would be a suitable replacement?

I have this exact set-up. The finer/polisher units are perfect, save the auto run function on the polisher (I have to plug and unplug my pump per job). The Step One used to be my problem child until I redid all the wiring. Now my generator is the one with issues. After recently replacing my motor, I should be okay for another 3 years- give or take.

Learn the maintenance. Really. It sucks to learn that your predecessor didn't teach you important things; probably because they weren't doing it either.

If you aren't running poly at all, this set-up should last forever if treated right.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information