Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VSP will partner with CVS going forward.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VSP will partner with CVS going forward.

Will they use OD's or try and use the license of the pharmacist to refract? Thoughts on where it will occur first and who will be most effected.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Who knows how far and wide VSP is casting their net now. They are "partnering" with Intel and putting in a full optometry/optical outlet in the Folsom CA plant 3 miles from my office. They are hiring opticians and an optometrist (VSP is, I'm not sure how legal that is, but I do know VSP has a sharp legal team) for this "office" and they (VSP) will be installing first class equipment and furnishings and will stock it with their frame brands. I just found out that family members of Intel employees will all have access to this. I thought family members weren't allowed inside the facility, but this is definitely going "inside", next to the employee cafeteria. They haven't opened up yet, but it will be soon.

More to follow

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have heard they did a pilot with 5 C.v.s. locations in the Maryland / DC area with ODs.
    C.v.s. around here has troubling selling OTC meds, candy, and liquor without some sort of complicating hassle...can only imagine how they will do with this.

v.s.pee looking out for the general welfare of patients and private practitioners yet again...

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Will they use OD's or try and use the license of the pharmacist to refract? Thoughts on where it will occur first and who will be most effected.
    I heard today that they are testing it on the east coast. It will be a class act with O.D.s working for VSP and VSP calling the administrative shots. They will also have opticians in there. Pharmacists are too busy doing injections now to learn how to examine eyes. (yes, there is more than just refracting, and even VSP knows that).

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I don't know of a single state that will allow a Pharm.D. to refract independently

in many states, california included, they have less prescribing power/authority than an O.D.

maybe a P.A. acting under an M.D./D.O. license.
    talk about scary

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Has anyone heard about a lawsuit brewing against vsp doing these?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is great news! Such a bold, anti-PP move should catalyze all docs to drop them. If they don't, they get what's coming.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ahh, that would be so nice.

Not gonna happen, of course.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    This is great news! Such a bold, anti-PP move should catalyze all docs to drop them. If they don't, they get what's coming.

B
    Tongue in cheek, right? This thread should be exploding, but it's still on page one. Now, if the Kardashians were to start refracting, perhaps someone would be interested. The lack of any response is unbelievable! What's going on over on the OD sites? Anything?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Tongue in cheek, right? This thread should be exploding, but it's still on page one. Now, if the Kardashians were to start refracting, perhaps someone would be interested. The lack of any response is unbelievable! What's going on over on the OD sites? Anything?
    PD's and Blue Light are far more exciting

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So glad I don't take any insurance. This is scarrrrrry beyond anything.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    What is scary about this link is that "VSP Retail" is becoming its own division:
    VSP Job posting for Hillsboro OR retail.
    http://www.indeed.com/cmp/VSP-Retail...81d?q=optician

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    They are hiring opticians and an optometrist (VSP is, I'm not sure how legal that is, but I do know VSP has a sharp legal team)
    Here in CA if AB 684 fully passes it will be legal
    Pez:D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    On OD sites, this is being noticed, but the response is flat. It has long been known that VSP's probable new business model is retail optical.

Since they don't have a commercial chain to acquire, they're going to build it themselves. Plus they are winnowing their provider panel into good/bad boys and girls for future yummies/spankings. The "yummy" being VSP steering all kinds of fun patients your way, as long as you continue to stock up on their frames, use their labs, and order their lenses.

It's like having your own VSP store, and VSP doesn't have to buy anything...you do! It's like building a wall on the Mexican border and having Mexico pay for it.
    Last edited by drk; 10-20-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    On OD sites, this is being noticed, but the response is flat. It has long been known that VSP's probable new business model is retail optical.

Since they don't have a commercial chain to acquire, they're going to build it themselves. Plus they are winnowing their provider panel into good/bad boys and girls for future yummies/spankings. The "yummy" being VSP steering all kinds of fun patients your way, as long as you continue to stock up on their frames, use their labs, and order their lenses.

It's like having your own VSP store, and VSP doesn't have to buy anything...you do! It's like building a wall on the Mexican border and having Mexico pay for it.

So what's the attitude of OD's? Make hay while the Sun shines? Will it take them opening up right across the street from a provider before they leave, or will they (collectively) keep accepting it till they deny a renewed contract? ( And I thought Opticians were apathetic!).

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They're still buying Lux, Who already IS across the street.

I'm assuming that was a rhetorical question since you're one of them intelligent whipper snappers.

(PS, I was called a Whipper Snapper by a patient in Texas. No that I've left, I pass on the title to you)

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    So what's the attitude of OD's? Make hay while the Sun shines? Will it take them opening up right across the street from a provider before they leave, or will they (collectively) keep accepting it till they deny a renewed contract? ( And I thought Opticians were apathetic!).
    This O.D. thinks that if anyone should rule the optical world it might as well be VSP. I'd rather not see any of the other corporate entities around take over, and this is one O.D. who has not bought any lux in over 5 years.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 10-20-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This O.D. thinks that if anyone should rule the optical world it might as well be VSP. I'd rather not see any of the other corporate entities around take over.
    I think that you'll understand if we opticians and others....don't agree.

B

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think there are a lot of ODs and opticians who are somewhat underemployed who would jump at the prospects of working for VSP in a classy environment instead of eking out a living in less than desirable digs. For those independents who are successful, I don't think they have much to fear unless some kind of optical tsunami happens. It's way too early to know how successful this new venture will be for VSP and their employees. I'd give it a year or two before jumping ship or taking any other drastic measures.

Occupation
    I think you "O.D. Almost Retired" title changes your perspective.

Occupation
    Nothing personal, Just age discrimination. You're not not a whipper snapper.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Given how many patients we see with VSP, I wonder if VSP will pay me to get their logo branded on my forehead for everyone to see
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Absolutely. I'm out of here somewhere between 1 and 8 years from now. But I do have a dog in this fight. VSP cannot open up in my mall without buying me out, but they are opening up a state of the art facility 3 miles from here (inside Intel Folsom) within 30 days or so. The more success we have in spite of that VSP presence, the sooner I can retire.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    Given how many patients we see with VSP, I wonder if VSP will pay me to get their logo branded on my forehead for everyone to see
    VSP forehead tattoo: the Number of the Beast.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Absolutely. I'm out of here somewhere between 1 and 8 years from now. But I do have a dog in this fight. VSP cannot open up in my mall without buying me out, but they are opening up a state of the art facility 3 miles from here (inside Intel Folsom) within 30 days or so. The more success we have in spite of that VSP presence, the sooner I can retire.
    State of the art will change to hire our own OD and future store will be setup for increase volume not state of the art wallpaper once we're established, Followed by e-Exams and better deals through their online portal where rent is non existent and labor is pennies on the dollar.

OD out of the equation, Optician out of the equation, State of the art offices setup for the few non compliant that insist on a showroom full of minimum wage sales people.

I'm not giving them any new ideas.

Thread Information