Thread: Thinking of selling the practice

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thinking of selling the practice

We are thinking about selling the practice and move out of state. (moving to be near family so we can help them) We are located in a small town close to the city but not in the city. (We are located in PA near the Philadelphia airport. ) We work 4 days a week to enjoy an easy life. Anyone have experience with this? Do you suggest a big broker? Local Broker who sells all businesses? Ad in the paper? Ad in the school website?

We figure our business price is 175k and we own the building 200k.

D
    Last edited by EyeSitePA; 10-13-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck. you might as well cut the asking price in half now, rather than two years from now.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have experience at this, but only on the buying side. Himmeroo speaks the truth.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Having watched this nightmare from both sides, I would recommend you to seek out a broker who specializes in this business. They will help you get a fair assessment of the value of your business, protecting both you and the buyer. Yes, you will pay some money towards fees, but it will help you sell get it sold faster and easier.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Having bought and sold practices with no broker involved, it is a pretty complex thing and you at least need a lawyer to guide you through the process so neither buyer nor seller nor both get burned.

BTW both my purchase and one of my sales included seller taking some paper back. While my experiences went ok, my current lawyer strongly advises take no paper (maybe on real estate only part). He's seen really bad things happen when buyer's remorse sets in.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lawyers won't help if either party has unrealistic expectations. It is easy enough to say, better offers will come. Question is will they? How soon???

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Richard Sterling,O.D. is a practice broker here in SE Pennsylvania. Perhaps he can help. (Google his name) Good idea to go through a broker.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    Having bought and sold practices with no broker involved, it is a pretty complex thing and you at least need a lawyer to guide you through the process so neither buyer nor seller nor both get burned.

BTW both my purchase and one of my sales included seller taking some paper back. While my experiences went ok, my current lawyer strongly advises take no paper (maybe on real estate only part). He's seen really bad things happen when buyer's remorse sets in.
    NO Paper...NEVER!

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    NO Paper...NEVER!
    Not even on the real estate? I still kind of disagree with my own lawyer on this. If you do not mind accepting the possibility of having to repo a business or a building that is in ruins and having to rebuild it, then ok, but only if you got enough cash out to allow the rebuild. And if you have the wherewithal to do it...

Naw, you and my attorney are right. No paper. Let the SBA or some bank do the dirty work. You'll probably sleep better when you can walk away clean.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    Not even on the real estate? I still kind of disagree with my own lawyer on this. If you do not mind accepting the possibility of having to repo a business or a building that is in ruins and having to rebuild it, then ok, but only if you got enough cash out to allow the rebuild. And if you have the wherewithal to do it...

Naw, you and my attorney are right. No paper. Let the SBA or some bank do the dirty work. You'll probably sleep better when you can walk away clean.
    No, not even on the real estate. At the end of the day, you have to look at why you are selling. If you want to hold the paper, you might as well rent the building, and be a landlord. If you want to be done with it, sell if for a bit less if you have to, take the cash and move on.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you need a broker I'd recommend Scott Daniels at PracticeConcepts.com

He can help you list nationally or just come in an get you a certified valuation so interested parties don't think you're just pulling an asking price out of nowhere.
    I have used his services to evaluate a practice and also purchased a practice he was listing for a retiring couple.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all the feedback. We have listed on http://apps.salus.edu/placement/ for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    If you need a broker I'd recommend Scott Daniels at PracticeConcepts.com

He can help you list nationally or just come in an get you a certified valuation so interested parties don't think you're just pulling an asking price out of nowhere.
    I have used his services to evaluate a practice and also purchased a practice he was listing for a retiring couple.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSitePA View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. We have listed on http://apps.salus.edu/placement/ for now.
    If it's the listing I'm thinking of, you may want to be sure that "$12k" income to the doctor is really what you wanted to say. If he's in the $60 range, that's only about 4 exams a week. Did you mean $120k? That would make more sense...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it's the listing I'm thinking of, you may want to be sure that "$12k" income to the doctor is really what you wanted to say. If he's in the $60 range, that's only about 4 exams a week. Did you mean $120k? That would make more sense...
    This is us: http://apps.salus.edu/placement/detail.asp?id=5071

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSitePA View Post
    My mistake! Looks good. Good luck!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My mistake! Looks good. Good luck!
    Thanks ! We have been appraised by Scott Daniels 175k and building at 200k !

Anyone want a second location? :)

Thread Information