Thread: The Opticianry Summit Foundation/OAA study is complete.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

The Opticianry Summit Foundation/OAA study is complete.

Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It demonstrates exactly what we all should have known and hopefully this will help move us forward.
    It is very well done and they should be proud of the work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes,
    Congratulations to you, and all of the group for bringing this to a conclusion. I am pleased that my earlier research was included, and that this report generally supports my earlier conclusions. I saw only a couple of minor details........for example, in recommendations related to contact lenses, it only mentions dispensing, versus fitting. In many states Opticians can fit, which could have been addressed, but with the great diversity in the field across the nation the data needed to be more general. I am also pleased to note the support in the document for more complex knowledge, skills and abilities. Refraction, A & P, contact lenses, and management were also something my study population also indicated was important. My work in 2005 was to bring attention to the "leadership" in the field of the need for this kind of advanced study. Since someone outside the field complied the data, maybe petty insecurities and jealousy will not effect those in current leadership roles paying attention to this work. Dr. Campion did a good job, and again, I congratulate the group for your efforts. Now lets put this knowledge to work for the benefit of all. Opticians have a great deal to contribute, and I look forward to a brighter future.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Very good report. But it does not contain the referred-to Report appendecies. Can we see them?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It always concerns me when I see a major report like this posted, and there is little comment. Is this an indication that most of the "professionals" here have little concern beyond their own office walls? Is it that they have just been beaten down so badly it is too late to make positive change? Whatever the reason, I hope all read this. Wes, Ted asks a good question. Can we see the appendices?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    It always concerns me when I see a major report like this posted, and there is little comment. Is this an indication that most of the "professionals" here have little concern beyond their own office walls? Is it that they have just been beaten down so badly it is too late to make positive change? Whatever the reason, I hope all read this. Wes, Ted asks a good question. Can we see the appendices?
    Warren, with all due respect to Wes, Ed and all the other committee members who have worked tirelessly for the advancement of our profession, this study only reaffirms what any of us with common sense already knew; The more training an Optician has bares on performance. The recommendations contain the same, common sense suggestions. There's really little to comment on. The only thing I'll comment on is the makeup of the questioned participants; 50% belonged to state organizations, 20% had Opticianry degrees and 3.2% had AC's...I do not believe that is an accurate representation of Opticianry in the U.S.

Once again, please don't think I'm knocking anyone or any organization. I have the greatest respect for all involved. I think the paper is professionally done.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand your position, George. Here is my positive take-away. While it is common sense to you and I, most corporate folks have little respect for Opticians, and see us only as "the help." This study provides direct evidence to the corporate folks (who were included on the panel) that an Optician with education and training performs at a significantly higher level. Will they agree with the results? Who knows?

Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That I'll agree with you Warren. This at least give a professionally conducted research paper to present to those in corporate that training, and more importantly, formalized training makes a difference in both patient satisfaction and a company's bottom line.

Occupation
    I'm not sure why the OAA hasn't posted them with the study. An oversight, perhaps?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Warren, with all due respect to Wes, Ed and all the other committee members who have worked tirelessly for the advancement of our profession, this study only reaffirms what any of us with common sense already knew; The more training an Optician has bares on performance. The recommendations contain the same, common sense suggestions. There's really little to comment on. The only thing I'll comment on is the makeup of the questioned participants; 50% belonged to state organizations, 20% had Opticianry degrees and 3.2% had AC's...I do not believe that is an accurate representation of Opticianry in the U.S.

Once again, please don't think I'm knocking anyone or any organization. I have the greatest respect for all involved. I think the paper is professionally done.
    But it is an accurate representation of those who responded. The more apathetic one is, the less likely one is to belong to associations, earn credentials, or respond to surveys.

Occupation
    I understand your position, George. Here is my positive take-away. While it is common sense to you and I, most corporate folks have little respect for Opticians, and see us only as "the help." This study provides direct evidence to the corporate folks (who were included on the panel) that an Optician with education and training performs at a significantly higher level. Will they agree with the results? Who knows?

Warren
    This is exactly the point of the study.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for responding, Wes. My only concern is that it took so long to complete this work, and may have lost its affect due to the extended time. But there were a lot of moving parts and diverse views, so I understand it completely. I am still convinced that the only way for Opticianry to move forward is through education and training that is mandatory, and licensure in all states.......but this is a positive outcome. I only hope the leaders in place today will listen. When I presented my in-depth study to the OAA leadership meeting in 2006, the "leadership" was outside the room, arguing over who would go to the ABO meeting at some exotic location, versus listening to similar data to what you have presented. My focus was on the need for that education and training, and not the financial side (although we did touch on it), but this could have an impact on the corporates if we act on it. I was pleased to see that my research was included as a part of the process. The Opticians in the field want more, and they can achieve it........if the "leadership" gets out of the way. Again, many thanks to the committee for their work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very nice and somewhat comprehensive report. I agree with 24/7 that it does tell us a common sense theme, that more education produces higher performance in all areas of the profession. I do hope that the corporate world takes it to heart. It would also be nice if the government leadership will also follow along and move toward what wmcdonald presents with licensure in all states. I unfortunatly don't believe they will though. To much pressure from lobby efforts from the very corporate entities involved in the reports to allow online sales with no dispensary involved. I will continue to educate and motivate myself in any case. The report shows that I'm not the only one who believes in this.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another month - and too few comments. Was it all worth it?
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Corporate Optical sees the need for education and training but their is a one sided view that SALES TRAINING produces the performance that increases revenue.

Independent Opticians produce reports that show the value in OPTICAL TRAINING that produces performance via increased revenue.

Unfortunately no one produces a correlation between the two, and where the sweet spot is, a technically proficient but unapproachable optician is like a cancer to growth in revenue. I know and have seen this time and time again. The opposite holds true to a degree as well, a proficient and approachable sales person will increase revenue, but the cost can be evaluated in loyal customers and the buying experience. There exists a sweet spot between OPTICAL TRAINING and SALES TRAINING. I would be curious to see where this sweet spot is and the effects on revenue, I am sure the corporate opticals would like to see this as well. Many corporate opticals have a shallow optical training program with a comprehensive sales training program to affect change the optical training program needs to grow and produce to the point that it is more efficient to sub contract out the program (aka optical education).

Cart before the horse, chicken before the egg; etc. A lot of analogies come to mind when reading the report and numerous threads like this one. The segment of the industry that has the influence to make change is NOT THE INDEPENDENT OPTICIAN, I would like to see these reports targeted towards the correct segment of the market corporate optical. I would like to see the effects of training on revenue and to correlate optical and sales training. I would also like to see schools incorporate more emphasis on the sales process so the corporate opticals see value int he programs.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Corporate Optical sees the need for education and training but their is a one sided view that SALES TRAINING produces the performance that increases revenue.

Independent Opticians produce reports that show the value in OPTICAL TRAINING that produces performance via increased revenue.

Unfortunately no one produces a correlation between the two, and where the sweet spot is, a technically proficient but unapproachable optician is like a cancer to growth in revenue. I know and have seen this time and time again. The opposite holds true to a degree as well, a proficient and approachable sales person will increase revenue, but the cost can be evaluated in loyal customers and the buying experience. There exists a sweet spot between OPTICAL TRAINING and SALES TRAINING. I would be curious to see where this sweet spot is and the effects on revenue, I am sure the corporate opticals would like to see this as well. Many corporate opticals have a shallow optical training program with a comprehensive sales training program to affect change the optical training program needs to grow and produce to the point that it is more efficient to sub contract out the program (aka optical education).

Cart before the horse, chicken before the egg; etc. A lot of analogies come to mind when reading the report and numerous threads like this one. The segment of the industry that has the influence to make change is NOT THE INDEPENDENT OPTICIAN, I would like to see these reports targeted towards the correct segment of the market corporate optical. I would like to see the effects of training on revenue and to correlate optical and sales training. I would also like to see schools incorporate more emphasis on the sales process so the corporate opticals see value int he programs.
    Then why don't you do a study and write a report? I would love to see it! You make good sense, and it may be a real valuable tool for us all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Then why don't you do a study and write a report? I would love to see it! You make good sense, and it may be a real valuable tool for us all.
    Stop giving him more projects! He is busy enough for now and later he can work on the fluffy stuff.

Craig

THE PROJECT IS COOKING AND ALMOST READY FOR YOU AS WELL!

Occupation
    I don't want optically educated opticians. The landscape is much more lucrative when those opticians are short in supply and high in demand. Everyone I hold in high regard in this industry has zero to gain from an influx of educated opticians.

Don't worry Craig between the eye's bleeding staring at the screen I jump over here for a few seconds then I am out, the project is coming along nicely and I have the silhouettes cleaned, wink wink, all 1,234 of them and am working on the database schema. ; )

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We will have to agree to disagree about that, but I understand your approach.

Occupation
    We will have to agree to disagree about that, but I understand your approach.
    Dr McDonald I love your fire and am glad you you fight for an industry. I wish you success in all endeavors, including this one. We are very much on the same side, you just have more stamina.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We can't make opticians want to learn but we can serve the public with our system!

Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Dr McDonald I love your fire and am glad you you fight for an industry. I wish you success in all endeavors, including this one. We are very much on the same side, you just have more stamina.
    We cannot create opticians who want to learn and be professional medical clinicians while also making them understand that selling is the by-product of information transferred to the client. We can give them a tool to ensure the patient does not get neglected while the industry currently (optician or owner) decides what is right for that person as far as lenses is concerned.

Time to let the client decide what they want; they will choose wisely and spend more because they will buy benefits and not be sold product or technology they don't really understand. For that matter, most in the industry don't know what really makes the technologies different.

Time for the Automatic Lens System and the tools it will offer in expert mode will allow Dr. Warren McDonald to use it as a teaching platform as well. If it is educating the consumer in basic mode we should be able to use the system as a complete teaching tool to help opticians see how lens decisions should be made.

We can call it basic mode(let the client do the work), optician mode (normal for optical folks) or PHD level (for the Harry, Barry, Brent, Dr, McDonald and the rest of you human calculators that want to know as much as possible. This ensures we build a tool to serve our clients- the public and those who provide the eye care products.

Any of you interested in such a crazy far fetched idea that we may actually launch it in NY at Expo on April 15, 2016?

Craig
    President
    Automatic Lens System Inc.

The industry has so many lens choices no one can know them; we can all agree on that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Edited, points had been previously pointed out.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Thread Information