Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As an employee, what do you want at the end of the day?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

As an employee, what do you want at the end of the day?

As an employee, what do you want at the end of the day?

As the vast majority of those who visit OptiBoard either for information or amusement are not business owners but rather employees I am wondering, for my own personal amusement, what you consider important benefits or impediments to your job satisfaction.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    For my part, since I take a salary from the company, I'm also an employee (and the IRS/Minnesota consider me one as well).

Impediments:

Boredom -> doing the same exact thing day in and day out. I could not imagine standing behind one machines (or bank of the same machines) for an 8 hour day, 5 days a week.
    Customers who go out of their way to be nasty, or those who just have a nasty disposition.

Benefits:

Every job is different (for me). While I may do a production run of 10 or 15 pair of plano filters into the same frame, they each get the same amount of loving care.
    Talking with customers on the phone/e-mail/text messaging: hearing them express delight at how well the lenses I make work, and how much their work has improved.
    Having a great team to back me up.
    While the technology has improved, the process is still the same, and putting a lens in the lensometer and seeing the power show up exactly as made every single time gives me satisfaction and the (sometimes) urge to do a little happy dance.

There was a time maybe 6-7 years ago I thought about saying the hell with it and walking away, but my family talked me out of the funk and I've never looked back.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I desire:
    Variety
    Job Growth
    Sense of Accomplishment
    Satisfied Patients
    Empowerment/Flexibility
    Adequate Compensation

Impediments:
    Being reminded I am a minion.. (things like my family isn't as important as theirs..)
    Stagnation
    No credit for ideas / business success

At the end of the day I want to be treated as a partner, and compensated fairly. If I spend multiple hours outside of work bettering myself, and my company, I want to be rewarded for that effort.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great thread, and invaluable to business owners...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An occasional pat on the back.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Impediments:

Being limited to what I can do around the office. (Maybe because I just started with a new office, I hope that goes away)
    Being thrown under the bus by other workers because they think I'm there to take their job (even though they have 20+yrs of experience on me)

Benefits:
    Helping new people.
    Being mistaken for the Doctor (self-esteem booster)
    Solving puzzles like repairs, adjustments, patient complaints.
    Learning new things.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    What I desire:
    Variety
    Job Growth
    Sense of Accomplishment
    Satisfied Patients
    Empowerment/Flexibility
    Adequate Compensation

Impediments:
    Being reminded I am a minion.. (things like my family isn't as important as theirs..)
    Stagnation
    No credit for ideas / business success

At the end of the day I want to be treated as a partner, and compensated fairly. If I spend multiple hours outside of work bettering myself, and my company, I want to be rewarded for that effort.
    I would like to add that anything that prevents burn out would be appreciated. I am the only optician (with the exception of someone to cover me for lunch) and some days I can have 75+ patients. At the end of a long week, it's like I'm shell shocked. A little help when crazy busy would be greatly appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    at the end of the day I want to go home

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    and drink a beer.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the end of the day what I want, more than anything is to know that what I do matters, to the patient, to the company, to anybody at all. I want to grow, I want my practice to grow, and for everyone to see it.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish to recant my earlier statement. At the end of the day I want to go home. At the end of the week I want a pay check. At the end of the month I want my boss to tell me that I'm not fired and I did a good job. At the end of the year I would love a bonus. At the end of my life if I can afford a tomb stone I want it to say "Finally".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really, I LOVE what I do. I would like better pay as its a struggle. I am an Optician with 5+ years experience in a NON licence state. I make 9.50 and hour, its a joke i know, but getting a decent job in Optics in Maryland is not exactly easy. NO ONE wants to pay ANYONE what they are worth in my Area (annapolis). I work for Americas Worst (i know i know) and I would like to not work for a Shady company that uses small print to bring PTs in saying 2 pairs for 69.95 and it only being cr-39 uncoated sigle vision which NO ONE gets, and then getting told we are con artists and bait and switch.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stick around kaledarkwind and learn from the folks here. One of the fortunate things about working in such as place is that you are/have developed a thick skin, which also might serve you well here.

Read, learn, ask questions, and understand all you can. Get your certifications. Let people see that you are eager to grow, know that you don't know everything, and open to learning/change. Show the effort, and you will be rewarded.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like the following:

To be paid for my experience...I have been doing this since 1985 and licensed since 1987.
    To be shown some appreciation for what I do.
    To not have to clean up someone else's mess when they "try to help"
    To have a share in the success I create!

Apparently this is too much to ask.
    Cindy Galloway, LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed they are not it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seems one of the biggest failings of employers is complete and utter failure to recognize the importance of their dispensing staff. Particularly when it comes to pay scales/bonuses/time off etc. Unfortunately, just telling someone they done did good still fails to put food on their table, and keep the lights on. Throw a bit more green their way, and watch the productivity, imagination, and business growth take off like a rocket! Nothing motivates most people more than a few extra Benjamens in their pocket!

Hey employers...you listening??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ××
    Last edited by obxeyeguy; 10-03-2015 at 09:49 AM. Reason: None

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am actually pretty happy where im at as I am getting what I want for the most part/ what was listed above... I would like more pay to commensurate with my with all the roles I have taken on. I just got back from Essilor management training... wow... anyway they sent me, paid for everything and its about time for a review... Since I been full time monthly sale are up 250k more than last year after 2nd quart. Have taken the place from the 80s to selling only N category lenses and current frame styles. Hell even the VP of luxottica came to talk to me and goto lunch, we are getting noticed.

While at the dallas essilor training, I found out from a classmate that in AK, walmart unlocked optician pay and are in the mid $22-25hr. Hell I wanna be there in pay at some point.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper I am my own employee and I get what is there.

I am my own employee and I get what is there. When there is nothing I make nothing while my other employees always get their fair share. I have one that has been with me for 30 years this month.

We close 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks at the end of July and close every long weekend and everybody, even if they just started 1 week ago will get paid all time given off.

Being my own employee I probably work the most hours, made easy by having an office at home, as well as one in my house in Florida. All computers are connected and backed up on a regular basis and I can follow my business wherever I am.

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Throw a bit more green their way, and watch the productivity, imagination, and business growth take off like a rocket! Nothing motivates most people more than a few extra Benjamens in their pocket!

Hey employers...you listening??

Yes I am listening ........and hear you.

However I learned from my father in his optical store having had like 25 employees in my time.

Everybody got a one month pay as a bonus at Christmas every year. At some point father started pay another bonus in summer for everybody, but not based on a yearly basis but on performance given to the business. So some made an other extra month pay and some made less.

I do something similar but only based on performance.
    My believe is, you perform first, and then get some more "Benjamens" and not the other way around.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That is great that you treat your employees so well. Many employers can take a cue from you. Unfortunately my experience in both private practice and in wholesale is that I cared a lot more than the owners about the health of the business.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Yes I am listening ........and hear you.

However I learned from my father in his optical store having had like 25 employees in my time.

Everybody got a one month pay as a bonus at Christmas every year. At some point father started pay another bonus in summer for everybody, but not based on a yearly basis but on performance given to the business. So some made an other extra month pay and some made less.

I do something similar but only based on performance.
    My believe is, you perform first, and then get some more "Benjamens" and not the other way around.
    Absolutely agree that performance comes first. You don't get rewarded for just showing up. For myself, the request for more pay is for going the extra mile, taking on new responsibilities, helping in other areas of the office. Practices where you make such an impact that the dispensary makes a profit for the first time in years but the MD just cuts himself a check at the end of the year and you are told no raise are for the birds. He only got that check because of my efforts. Actively looking...so that is my response.
    Cindy Galloway, LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed they are not it.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I love the industry, but respect for my time and my person would go a long way. And positivity in the workplace.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Disgruntled, but superb employees is the last thing a employer wants to loose.

Quote Originally Posted by CGalloway View Post

Practices where you make such an impact that the dispensary makes a profit for the first time in years but the MD just cuts himself a check at the end of the year and you are told no raise are for the birds. He only got that check because of my efforts. Actively looking...so that is my response.
    Cindy.................Md's usually are not well trained in commercial activities, but if the owner has made a profit for the first time in his retail division, he will for sure be aware of it.

Set up a paper that lists the duties you have been hired for, then add the duties you have assumed on your own goodwill and list them underneath which make the difference in business income between now and then. Show a visible result and proof of your efforts.

This could also be of help if you are looking for another job elsewhere because you are looking for more money and compensation for your efforts.
    Disgruntled, but superb employees is the last thing a employer wants to loose.

OptiBoard Novice
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm pretty much tired of seeking for for genuine approval. I've played all the rules and done all that has been required of me. I'm done with the corporate hoopla. It's time to move on to something better something I own for myself. 17yrs exp.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    and drink a beer.
    and have someone rub my feet.

Thread Information