Thread: It's been a while

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's been a while

I haven't been around for a while, but I had to stop in to tell you that This past Saturday, I had the pleasure of meeting old Optiboarder Kevin. He's doing more chainsaw sculpting than Opticianing these day. His work is beautiful!

I hope you are all well.
    ...Just ask me...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome back Spexy- we're pretty boring these days--just the way Steve likes it!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good to see ya come around!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hey, I had the pleasure of meeting Jubilee and her hubby (who's also in the biz) yesterday. Cool peeps.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Spexvet! I have evolved into more of a "lurker" here, than a regular poster. As it happens, I just submitted one of my nowadays rather infrequent Optiboard posts (in the Hybrid Cars discussion). I have had myself refracted (four times) and acquired four sets of frames and prescription lenses, since the "old days" when we were both everyday posters here. No more "paralysis by analysis" syndrome going on here with me--at least, with respect to what to put in front of my own eyes.

I (of course) do not know if you still have the "Just Conversation" or "Off Topic" message board posting "gene" in your "DNA" anymore, but I could direct you to a forum where you would have many other posters to argue with on an everyday basis. A forum where political and cultural centrists are mostly viewed as "left-wingers", and rudely addressed with the condescending "L" word (Liberal) or "P" word (Progressive) appellation. It's definitely not a "forum of decorum", with respect to many topics that are discussed.

I got started there, asking some questions in the Main section, because I had an old car of a certain make and model that I wanted to have restored to running condition. Which I did. But then I ventured into the Off Topic section (in 1Q 2010) and I have been a "poster-ality" there, ever since. Only because I am amenable to arguing for the sake of arguing.

It's refreshing to see the "Spexvet brand" on display again; if only for a moment of pleasing déjà vu.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-20-2015 at 06:52 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I have evolved into more of a "lurker" here .................

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

I have evolved into more of a "lurker" here, than a regular poster. As it happens, I just submitted one of my nowadays rather infrequent Optiboard posts (in the Hybrid Cars discussion).

I have had myself refracted (four times) and acquired four sets of frames and prescription lenses,

since the "old days" when we were both everyday posters here. No more "paralysis by analysis" syndrome going on here with me--at least, with respect to what to put in front of my own eyes.

Nice to see you back for once. Interesting to see that you have become a
    self-refractor and maybe got the rest on-line ?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A misunderstanding here, Chris. I had my refractions done in the traditional way. I went to an ECP's office and he (and his staff) did the refractions. Four, spaced out over the years since 3Q 2008. Prior to that, there had been a long interval when I had not been examined. My prescription lenses were long overdue for a change.

I used on-line as a shopping tool to pick out some specific frame models and color options, but my plan was always to locate the frame at one of the dispensaries in my area and have the traditional "brick and mortar" style retail customer purchasing experience.

I used whatever was on public display at the websites of different frame manufacturers (such as "Marchon", for example; a hypothetical example) and then used whatever distributor contacts that were displayed (electronic mail addresses; or in a few cases, a phone number) to solicit information about where I would be able to purchase that frame at a brick and mortar dispensary in my area.

I was not using any of the on-line retailer sites.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-23-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

I was not using any of the on-line retailer sites.

That is nice to hear, in times that are getting more and more turbulent in this industry, at least in my opinion.

It is just bugging me that the two largest corporations that now own the biggest online opticals, have made their money in the traditional optical industry which they are now trying and succeeding to compete with.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    good news!

Thread Information